My Own Fix for Sombra

I’ll argue that if they do see the translocator you’re being way too bold at throwing it, you can literally move around behind their sight lines and throw your translocator from there, the voice line sure, it’s audible and I guess subtitles will help more with it but you still need to figure out when she’s going to jump, where she is (she can decloak behind a wall), where she’ll translocate to (high tier sombras tend to translocate more upwards than low ranks) and how you’ll react to getting hit by EMP and potentially another ult from the enemy team

Seeing translocator flying is not an easy feat either, specially at higher tiers where they translocate to mid air as opposed to in the floor

I remember reading a suggestion whereby Sombra (and Sombra alone) would deal increased damage to hacked targets. I really liked that idea, for it would let Sombra do more damage without actually letting do more damage, which her detractors seem to not want. She also wouldn’t step on Zenyatta’s toes since the “discord” would only benefit her and letting Zenyatta keep his niche. This way, both people win.

I myself had a suggestion of turning 25 HP into shield HP (still 200 total). For as long as the shield holds, hack and stealth cannot be canceled. Many a time, I have had both be canceled from literally across the map by an enemy Moira and DVA, which I do not find fair, especially since they do not even need to actively target me to ruin me. I think 25 is a low enough amount that a single person actively looking to stop Sombra still can. Overall damage output has been on the up and up, so I think dealing 25 damage is easy to achieve. If not, it can be lowered, maybe to 20.

So the time invested for a Sombra would be .6 of a second if she tossed the Translocator and EMPd. Interesting ,thanks for the info. Anyone know what is the average start up for other ults?

As a Sombra you need to find the right height to throw it. Remember EMP is a sphere the heigher you go the less people on the ground your gonna hit.

You can make it harder to see Translocator comming but that costs valuable time which you don’t always have

But why? Hack requires good positioning and forced setup time already. It normally has a .7s destealth frozen-in-place glowing and yelling out first. It draws literal lines from you to your target for anyone to see, with another audio callout. It needs continuous LoS, which like 1/3rd the cast can break. AND anyone so much as fires in your direction and Hack fails and goes on CD.

It already has a ton of counterplay.

I really like the shield idea actually, cool stuff. So if she had the shield missing at all, she wouldn’t be able to hack while taking fire?

sure but the range is pretty big, as a matter of fact a workshop video from darwin showed that EMP covers most capture points in their entirety, of course if you throw it up in the sky you’ll miss your EMP but generally the height isn’t eye level

Made a post about that just today

Edit: forgot the link sorry xD
The discussion kinda got into a weird direction because of missinformation but the main post is still worth a watch.

3 Likes

I can see that, although do you think that a 2 sec CD is sufficient if she misses her hack?

I think you mean the twitter post that ranted about EMP being Jupiter size? That wasn’t darwin btw he did however made a training mode to learn and react to emp to I didn’t check it out in detail.

And yea it isn’t eye level but most of the time still in the view angel.

I don’t say you can reliably block it a 100% would be stupit if you could. But you can be prepared for it most of the time.

1 Like

because if you decloak where people can spot you that’s on you, that’s not counterplay, that’s just you messing up, the right interaction for a hack is where you do it unnoticed not just because it’s the best outcome for you but because your kit as a whole allows you to do it over and over again

I honestly don’t have issue with it. A Sombra that gets her hack broken can rarely afford to stick around for 2s waiting on a CD without repositioning.

Yes, that is exactly it. It would be the same way as it works now once the shield goes down.

Where you around when they made that change?
At the time Sombra started to gain some value but because of a bug they didn’t wanted to fix they just made that 2s cd which instandly dropped her in the trash again at the time.
It was a huge nerf i suggest you go an check your secondary fire accuracy on Sombra.

I was, it was tough at first but with infinite stealth and a decently flexible movement kit, i usually hack from strange, high ground angles as its less likely ill get damaged.

2 Likes

Thats what you should do.
But it also highlights the biggest issue im having with Sombra.

She has massive amounts of downtime the 2s cd change and the infinite stealth change all made it worse the amount of time you spent positioning and waiting is way to much imo.

Btw I also added a link to one of my previous replies about casttime I forgot that sorry xD

I suppose , but she is this opportunist character right? Besides, there is something you can do as cloaked Sombra, including scouting for your team and feeding them information about enemy positions, or even using voice lines during stealth to bait attention to nothing .

Yea you can do that but the usefulness of that decreases with the rank extremely.

Still she shouldn’t be absent from the fight so long. I wish she would reposition faster and stay in the fight longer.

I would take limited stealth over infinite stealth any day.

Scouting was already possible before the infinite stealth change; fitzyhere did it all the time. Hanzo can do a better job without exposing himself to danger, as can Widowmaker. Anyone can do it really so long as the enemy team doesn’t see them. Sombra isn’t special in that regard. Really, the infinite stealth made playing Sombra harder because it brought with it a slower running speed, making reaching certain places she could before impossible with using the translocator, which gives off fireworks every time it’s used, tipping people off to where she is headed.

Infinite stealth could certainly be part of the problem, (i miss the old move speeeeeeeed).

Perhaps, if they reverted infinite stealth, there could be some mechanic like she increases her Cooldown rate on Translocator (making it come back faster) when she is invisible, and a self damage buff during the first second or so when she exits stealth (after the animation time obviously ).