My MMR is all over the place

Ok, I’ll start this post by saying this is not a complaining post or tinfoil stuff.
I truly want to understand what is going on with my MMR.

Ok so here’s the thing I stopped playing after season 10 and got back in season 17.
I have always been a high gold to mid plat player.
So I got back placed 2400 drop to silver for most of the season barely got back to gold at the end of season 17.

Season 18 starts I got placed almost silver and by the end drop to mid silver.

Season 19 got placed 2100 gold (WTF) dropped to silver got back up to mid gold.
Now, this is where the weird stuff started happening.

1. I get placed in a game with average SR wich is in my ballpark win that game.
  2. Next game average SR is 100 more than me (ok…) win that game.
  3. Next game average SR is 200 more than me (ok…) win that game.
  4. Next game I play with only plat players with an average of 2600 SR (WTF) I lose.
  5. Back to step 1.

This keeps happening all the time since the season started.
Can anyone explain this please?

The game is avg vs avg.

Sr range in games are pretty loose recently. You don’t really need to worry about it.

1 Like

I think devs said they loosened MMR requirements to accomodate DPS players who were complaining about queue times.

I’ve been playing mostly tank and also noticed higher SR spread, in addition to a lot more games with worse latency.

When you are an active player, your MMR is close to your SR. There is no funny business going on with MMR. If team/enemy SR average varies a lot, that just means that there aren’t enough players in your SR/platform/region/time/day to dial in a tight cluster of players each game.

My rating has gone between 1250 and 2450. It happens.

Thats what happens. You win one in your sr so the game puts you at a bit higher, then higher then higher till you lose.

If you win a significant amount of these games then you will start winning more sr per game and start losing less.

Then you get to GM and nothing matter, one game will be 4300 average and you win, and then your next game is 3600 average and you lose.

It’d be much better without the hidden MMR.

If you’re low gold, you should play low golds. Not secret behind the scenes plats just to even things out. Or secret behind the scenes throwers just to balance you out.

1 Like

Well then shouldn’t you be climbing? thats 2/3 wins.

The game will do this to you all the time. They will put you in a game that you are destined to win 1/4 times. They will put you in a game that you are destined to lose 1/4 times. And the remaining half is relatively even.

They do this to constantly test your potential. If you win the destined to lose one (gain MMR points) your games to are destined to win will happen more often. They reward you for being better than they thought you would be. Same for the vise versa. You lose the destined to win one (lose MMR points) you will have more destined to lose games.

Blizzard intentionally makes the SR and MMR system very vague to how it works so it makes it hard to abuse.

That means there is a game design flaw - where they have too many DPS hero’s and/or poorly designed (and boring) healing/tank hero’s. Adjusting how the match maker works isn’t going to fix that problem… EVER.

Yeah and I don’t what’s worse the fact that they still haven’t fixed it or had a fix for multiple weeks now but find some excuses to not patch the game because of consoles lol