My hot take on Valkyrie

while valk might not be as exciting, or game changing as mas rez, i think its a pretty good ult. Its like having an Orisa super charger every minute to minute in a half, or you can use it to burst heal while keeping yourself safe!

I know most people will definitely disagree with me, but valk is a good ult. Its not stupid over powered, its not stupid under powered. Its in that sweet spot. It can still change a fight entirely if used at the right time, and although it makes mercy a bit easier to play for the 15 seconds its active, I think that thats alright. not every ult needs to be this big flashy thing.

Like Nano, it doesn’t even do much for ana herself, Sym wall, isn’t all that impressive but it can still help turn the tide of a fight, same can also be said about widows ult. It doesn’t need to be this huge flashy thing that will get you play of the game. Valk is effective if used right and tbh that’s all that it needs to be, end of story. You can all fight me if u want to, but i’ma stand by my opinion. its a perfectly fine ult, you guys just whiny.

It would be nice to have a bit more of a visual effect for it tho, like maybe when you valk, you go into 3rd person or you get like a orange glow on the edge of your screen, that would just make it a lot more cool!

I just wish there was more of an effect on the primary beam target so that it would mean something during the ult.

1 Like

Strobe light Mercy lol. Give her a disco skin to go with it.

1 Like

In the Dark Days of the Genjipocalypse, I find Valkyrie to be very useful and save it for Genji’s ult. I hear him, I take to the skies and stay away from climbable objects. I’ll shout down a “Hello there” though.

Well

70 hps on her main beam and an audio acceleration on her beam, similar to what nano does, sounds great

1 Like

May I present a different take?

1 Like

My opinion is this,

Valkyrie was created with the idea that it would make every part of Mercy better. In the beginning these changes were significant, and gave a significant amount of utility, speed, and buffs. It felt great to play, but it was actually pretty broken. Which is one of the reasons that I didn’t like the rework in the first place. (She’s my favorite hero, and I knew that the nerf train was incoming because the ult mitigated ALL of the weaknesses that Mercy had.) The ult was nerfed to how it is currently which gives Mercy only slight improvements to certain aspects of her kit that aren’t really significant so it doesn’t really shine.

Sure, if you changed the animations to be more over the top, it would look more spectacular, and at the same time, it would also just make her an even bigger target while she is using Valkyrie than she already is.

2 Likes

So true, even the teammates that spend 80% of the game yelling “Focus Mercy” in comms through their 5$ mic give up once you pop valk and disappear into the skybox lol

1 Like

It still does but the difference is that almost half of her abilities are for herself and not for her team. Her self healing is enhanced, her GA is enhanced, her flight is enhanced, her gun is enhanced, all these abilities are only for herself and not for her team. All the other supports have each and every ability that helps their whole team rather then just themselves (except a very few) and you still get better healing and DB with chain beaming. Rez was removed because it was kinda OP iirc

I disagree that it’s purely just a visual/indicator issue. like her base kit is inherently just doesn’t allow much room for skill expression outside of GA, of which gets taken away during valk.

• like the impactful things you can do with valk (boost or pistoling) are hard gatekept by a really underwhelming 60hps which can easily be bursted through i.e. easily get counter pushed when trying to push with valk.
  • res itself is inherently moreso up to your allies and the enemies than it is about the mercy executing it well because its conditions of use are that harsh that the mercy player themselves have no room to “pull off difficult ones”
1 Like

mercy shine bright like a diamond in the sky xD

or mercy will be emitting light equal to that of a sun and increase everyone’s screen brightness by 500% :DDD

2 Likes

except those ults are actually so powerful at the 1 thing it does that you can’t not notice the impact unless you whiffed the ult. like emp cancels everything, trans gives 300hps which literally cancels out some ults, and death blossom gets you picks.

valk? yeah here’s your damage boost where you as the mercy can’t guarantee value is achieved out of it and everything that’d potentially be valuable you from valk (boost, res and pistolling) are all gatekept by a low 60hps which isn’t hard to force out and burst through even without ults.

1 Like

Really good explenation why Valkyrie doesn’t give that “oompf” feeling like mass-rez did.

The reason I almost exclusively have the Pink Mercy skin equipped is because of the magical tingle while using Valk. It feels, like you mentioned, magical and makes the ult much more fun.

I would also be all for a beautiful thick sparkling beam, as well as a big golden glow upon activating Valk. The idea of the burst heal is not too bad (though I think 150hp might be a biiit too overtuned).

Also, her on-fire rate needs to be finally adjusted. It feels so bad not being on fire when you’re literally carrying the game. :frowning:

2 Likes

Go and tell Reaper mains how powerful their ult is, lol. All the power. Should I give examples of even more trash ones?

Valk is perfectly fine in power for how fast it charges. Even without going into nuances of utilizing AOE heals or crazy mobility for your gains, AOE damage boost on its own already makes tremendous value for the cost and speed of Valk.

what’s more threatening that you need to watch out for more? valk or death blossom?

• 60hps isn’t much at all
  • boost, res and pistol are gatekept by the above 60hps because no value if teammates are dead
  • mobility means nothing if teammates die.
  • nano and coalescence charge just about as fast as a valk and they provide much more value with less pre-conditions to use.
1 Like

i really want mercy herself to be glowing in valk or at least when activating it. Like when she activated mass rez she glows magically i think when activating valk the same visual should be used

1 Like

If I’m entertaining the idea that ANY of those ults is threatening - Valk. Death blossom is a sad joke negated by a single callout. Valk CAN be a sign that enemy team is coming in with punches rolling, if Mercy is any good. Plus, one of those ults is on DPS, and charges much slower.

• 60 HPS in AOE is something though, especially on character not usually capable of it. I’ve been in my share of situations where it saved my team’s ***. Not terribly often, but still.
  • They aren’t. It’s called “decision making”, and each of those options has its place and time. If your team is THAT reliant on constant 60 HPS just to stay alive - then, let’s be honest, no amount of healing will be enough to save them anyway. The team is just trash. Or you’re one of those Mercys constantly yellowbeaming people for no reason, one of the 2.
  • You’re one of those Mercys that constantly yellowbeam for no reason, I see. Otherwise you wouldn’t be making this utterly dumb statement.
  • Nano and coal provide comparable value if you take Nanoblade out of the picture. Nano is single-target boost. Coal is a healing tool with rather insignificant damage. Nether give meaningful personal survivability.

have you tried playing moira and noting how often you need to heal? that’s how often mercy in valk needs to take time away from damage boost, pistoling and res to heal.

do you know how long just moira’s primary or just moira’s orb takes to heal someone up from low? valk’s 5 less hps takes longer and thus takes that much time away from damage boost or pistolling or res.

do you know how often you need to combine moira primary heal with heal orb or use ana’s nade for burst + increased healing to catch up on healing to save someone? that’s about how often, 60hps isn’t enough.

there in lies the problem with valk. it’s not hard to deal enough damage to get a mercy to switch to heal and valk 60hps isn’t something that’d outsustain much --> need to step back and take cover --> lose momentum on push which is pretty much mostly what valk’s “good” for. any single dps, cc or support ult used by the enemy simply overwhelms whatever valk can provide (note how I didn’t say trade).

this isn’t even going into how the mercy player doesn’t have much agency over the team getting value out of valk heals nor damage boost unlike the other support ults for their respective heroes.

nano can literally save a life with the burst heal, demands the enemy to deal with the nano target (esp if a tank; with boost + damage reduction) largely drawing aggro and attention from the rest of ana’s team whilst ana can still maintain her level of sustain and utility she can provide (which, when you consider what those are, is a lot more than what utility valk can provide).

coal has 140hps that can outheal a lot of things esp when combined with orb (205hps) to the point it can counter some ults making coal pushes more resilient to counter pushes unlike valk. not to mention with coal being long, pierces shields + enemies and damaging, it can simultaneously zone the enemy and possibly even get a pick (can also be combined with damage orb for 120dps that pierces shields and people).

meanwhile valk you have to choose between a lackluster (for an ult) 60hps vs group damage boost (most of where the value of valk lies) vs pistolling (probably a good potion of where the fun of valk lies) vs res for value at any given moment of it. and again, the 60hps is a big bottle neck in that decision making process because your team needs to be alive to be able to actually make use of damage boost.

so we agree that valk isn’t actually threatening then. thanks. :^)

pretty sure you need to have specific heroes with the cc or matrix-like barrier on your team first to negate a death blossom rather than just “a single call out”. meanwhile, getting an enemy or more to critical forcing a mercy to heal rather than damage requires less coordination and doesn’t need specific heroes on your team to do.

Dude, I’m not going to argue with you about theoretical scenarios you pull out of your ***. You do you. Don’t play Mercy. Play Ana and Moira, play with teams with no shields and no damage mitigation abilities whatsoever who stand AFK in front of Bastion, and try to outheal that. Best of luck to you.

I didnt expect my thread about the same topic to blow up, but I’ll post what others have told me and have been saying.
I asked Vale in his stream what he thinks about Mercy’s ult and her gameplay as of rn. His response was she could use a rework.

Stylosa on one of his most recent Mercy coaching videos even said that she needs something done because she often can’t do enough as a support in comparison to other supports, shes sort of stuck on the heal/damage boost with no other ability. edit: (other than rez) and has to rely too heavily on her team in order to thrive. she has no other ways of helping her team other than that.

Those are just some opinions. She’s still okay to play, its just that she doesnt really get as much value out of her ult, and her ult is pretty weak compared to the other support ults.