My friends quit because of queue times

For years I’d play this game with my friends but now queue times are so long (especially if you have two people on the team queued for DPS) that they’ve went from playing all the time, to playing one game and then leaving as they don’t want to wait another 10 minutes for a game, to just not playing all together.

Something seriously needs to be done before overwatch 2 comes out, a revamp of the matchmaking system, 3-2-1 mode, hell even a 4-1-1 mode, anything to reduce these queue times.

The problem is overwatch is first and foremost a FPS and the majority of players who play FPS games are people who like “shooting baddies” be the hero and get all the kills, people who want to play the DPS role. so to then introduce separate queue times for each different role, knowing that the majority of people play DPS is ridiculous, something needs to be done, it can’t continue in its current state.

Playing with friends used to be fun but now it’s just a chore waiting so long for a game, providing the queue times haven’t drove them away already

69 Likes

More heroes in tank and support that are appealing is the main fix.

If you have 10 on tank, 50 in DPS and 10 on support. That’s like 10 matches played at any one time. If you can just remove 10 DPS to split into 15 tank, 40 dps, and 15 support that’s 15 games played at once and only 25 people not playing. Lower queue times overall.

40 Likes

Play it on the Nintendo Switch and I guarantee you, you’ll get a match in less than a minute. I mostly play it on the Nintendo Switch and truthfully, it only takes for me 30 seconds to find a match. Whenever someone leaves the match, the other refill in in less than 10 seconds!

Hopefully, Blizzard will do something about this. It has been a issue for PC for a very long time. I don’t know about Xbox and PlayStation though.

5 Likes

I play less because of queue times and other factors. Cause I can be doing other things besides waiting to join a match

3 Likes

The worst my queue times have been, especially when in a group of 3+ people, is 10 minutes maximum, 5/6 minutes average. How impatient are people?

2 Likes

those 10 minutes and 5/6 minutes per match add up. Some of us have to work and do other things in life.

Other games I can get on and actually play the game

55 Likes

It is interesting how queue time becomes self-correcting in a way. You either force more people not playing support/tank to lower queue times drawing away from DPS queue time. If long queue time is an issue, then people just stop playing. Further lowering queue times lol

Sometimes I actually just prefer the endless deathmatch mode. Queue DPS, then always leave when finding a game. Quick and always filled with people.

1 Like

The thing is, OW is not just that. OW is a TEAM BASED shooter, that means more than just DPS wanting to shoot at others. If you just want to shoot at stuff there are plenty of other games that can fulfill that need for you. And even if you want to do that in OW, you have QPC where you can get games fast, and you can pick whatever you want.

What’s interesting to me is that the que’s don’t seem to be lowering much. So I can assume that people are actually willing to wait for playing DPS. If that wasn’t the case then que’s for DPS would be way lower as they would either quit, play QPC or play another role.

9 Likes

Sadly many people simply don’t care and refuse to acknowledge that it’s a very serious problem. They got what they wanted in more structured games and the consequences don’t matter. Especially since it primarily impacts dps players and we all know they’re the devil.

At first I was largely neutral on 2-2-2 but now I’m starting to think that it was a terrible idea that shouldn’t have been implemented. 10+ minute queues just to play the main game isn’t sustainable.

42 Likes

Odds are we need some sort of priority queue system where you are forced to queue for all roles for a game or two, then you can queue for only DPS or whatever might be the most popular role in the future.

being the only reason the old system was faster for queue times was that every had to queue for all roles. DPS just kept jumping ahead of everyone for the prime hero picks.
So now that the line is fair, yeah it takes way more time…

but there are only so many ways to fix it and still have any sort of line at all.

I think its complicated because if we just remove RQ we go back to the same issues we had before. RQ is there for a reason, whether some people want to accept it or not. As for the que situation, I can agree that anything higher than 5 minutes is too much, but instead of going back to the same problems we had before, we should try to find a way to make things better.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends what you view as worse/harder to solve.

2-2-2 queue times or pre 2-2-2 balance issues/very few wanting to play tank.

1 Like

I Play way less since Role q. So do many Others. I wish we could see Numbers. Role q is the dead of ow.

10 Likes

That’s too bad

1 Like

Your friends quits cuz eventually everyone on OW will stop of play the game is inevitable.

Classic quickplay was there since forever so you could play with your friends that mode to have playable matches. As a premade you guys can “talk” and say ok lets play 2-2-2 or 1-2-3 Np so you guys dont need rolequeue at all

Ending the post. You can’t force to people to play tanks or supports. Sadly there is an excess of DPS on the game.

"Nobody wants play tanks cuz you get destroyed insane easy by 2 dps" if they were tuning down mcree right click, reaper, mei, sombra hack then playing tank will be less irritant.

5 Likes

It’s difficult to say because I’m not the one who has to do it, in here everything is just ideas, the devs are the ones who have to make them happen. RQ was implemented to help solve a number of issues, but it came with the cost of que times. So in theory, I believe it’s better to focus on solving the que time issue than going back to having more problems.

I think that trying out 232 is worth it, the problem is that Jeff said that while not impossible, it would be difficult and expensive since the game is designed and optimized for 6 players. Other than that, perhaps a competitive classic might be worth trying. The drawback that I see mentioned is that it divides the community more but, maybe that is not such a bad thing, just let people play whatever way they want to play. Those who want RQ can play RQ and those who don’t want it go to the “classics”, it could even make RQ better as que’s for DPS in RQ might be reduced.

I do wonder if we can have two separate ladders, or if there is a way for both modes to coexist in the same ladder, just allowing people to play however they want. The main issue I find with this is balance, the devs can only balance for one thing which would more likely be 222 so a mode where there is no 222 could bring a lot of balance issues.

Your friends showed nothing needs to be done. There are 2 fewer DPS only players clogging up the queue. It seems to be working itself out nicely.

1 Like

If you choose to play only one role and the most popular role at that, then you will need to wait.

1 Like

Here is my prediction for the future of Overwatch. Overwatch 2 will be a massive fail. Overwatch 3 will never happen. Overwatch will then lose a lot of its player-base and become free-to-play. Overwatch will be in a position similar to what Starcraft 2 is in now.

If Blizzard doesn’t understand that the majority of players that are attracted to play Overwatch are FPS players looking to play an FPS, then the game will constantly lose players and not get as many new players in return. The game will eventually die, and will live on in some free to play legacy with a much smaller playerbase.

The constant flooding of tank and support players complaining that damage players won’t want to play other roles is a detriment to the game. Its hypocritical as well. You could say the same thing that those players don’t want to play other roles because they don’t want to play damage.

8 Likes

Well, the OW development team can’t even consider doing 2-3-2 yet… so they’ll have to wait I guess.