My friend, a Rein main, quit OW last night

I haven’t played since Brigitte went live. Hopped into a few games last night, and holy hell - between Reaper, Mei, and Brigitte, I felt pretty useless as a tank.

I was already tired of playing tanks for 5 stacks… I don’t see a reason to select them at all over a DPS hero. At the very least, maybe I’ll be less salty when I get a 5 stack. DPS keep getting buffed and buffed and buffed… Anything else keeps getting nerfed because DPS cry.

For now I’ve more or less moved onto Battlefront 2. Overwatch is a serious contender for deletion from my hard drive. I just don’t agree with th vast majority of the changes they’ve done since January. Feels like they’re making hero’s more boring to play to cater to OWL and they’re fine with whoever they wreck.

So long as they’re “balanced.” Meanwhile, over half the roster is so niche that they may as well not exist because they’re compleatly unviable. “Balanced,” FTW.

12 Likes

I think some form of CC immunity would help and feel very natural. I think the bug guy could use a passive with his comparatively limited kit. An overall reduced effectiveness to CC would be interesting.

5 Likes

As much as I dislike quitting threads, this is saddening because he sounds like he genuine cares about Overwatch. Please buff Reinhardt. Make him viable again…

5 Likes

Rain is pretty much completely out of the meta. I feel for you all Rainhard’s mains.

Your fellow Sombra main, the F-Tier hero, also seen as throw pick for 1,5 year.

3 Likes

Tanks don’t feel cool or rewarding as much as dps and even support now.

5 Likes

It’s not just Rein. There are two larger issues at play here. The game’s mass appeal and the casualization of the game.

Part of Overwatch’s appeal is also it’s downfall. Reinhardt and Mercy are both iconic characters and while it doesn’t apply to me a very good chunk of the playerbase likes the characters because people truly identify with them and not just as a gameplay tool.

I think we have to be cautious about insisting characters to be meta or untouched by the meta or personal changes to them just because they’re “iconic”. However the latest additions to the game not only effect the iconic characters but everybody. This has been a trend started with the Junkrat and Mercy buffs. Giving too much power for far too little effort. So characters like Rein who were more for the non aiming crowd but still required a lot of gamesense to play effectively just get shut down.

Rein is fair to play when you have characters who require mechanical aim to take him down or other characters like Reinhardt who are about gamesense and positioning. When we introduce characters that are both mechanically easy to play and don’t require gamesense or timing to land their skills? It becomes a problem. Imagine if Rein could land charge or Winston could land his leap as easily as Brigitte lands her stun, they would be really problematic.

It’s one thing to target dive but they’re specifically trying to target dive and flankers by introducing characters and mechanics that virtually anyone can pull off. I don’t even think this approach works for any ranks. Lower ranks hate to play against characters like Sym, Moira and Brigitte because they don’t have the mechanical ability or gamesense to outplay them. Middle ranks find characters like Brigitte and Moira frustrating to play against in certain instances. Higher ranks aren’t effected by these additions much. I think Blizz is on the support and casual mechanics train far too heavily.

6 Likes

The problem is it isn’t just one hero. The entire class is frustrated at the moment. Tanking (as a whole) is hard at the moment. If nothing is done you guys may find a lot of 4 DPS 2 Support comps soon.

17 Likes

Yeah, it’s very disheartening to say the least.

I’m sure that good things will come for Rein… just takes a little time.

1 Like

Agreed. There are other many areas where improvement can take place. It will just take a little time to get there.

2 Likes

Despite op’s overly dramatized post lol, there are good points.

I’m a tank main as well, and while I’d never uninstall this game because I was having a bad time… I’ve definitely taken a hiatus to play and finish other games until the meta in OW settles down.

5 Likes

They should revert the Ana changes so we can bring back tank meta.

6 Likes

Not sure that’s the answer… but there are some adjustments that can take place to make it a little better for balance purposes.

2 Likes

This story sounds all too familiar to me. I can feel that my feet fit right into your friend’s shoes.

6 Likes

As a high-mobility-DPS player (aka I play Genji, Tracer, and anyone else who is highly independently mobile), CC is always something I’ve HATED. Which makes it easier to sympathize with other players because CC is growing too strong and too common. I haven’t uninstalled, but I hardly play the game, and only just started back to play Retribution, where only two CC forms exist to stun me, both of which very telegraphed and avoidable (the Assassin’s attack and the Heavy’s charge). Call me a bad player for not avoiding CC, (referring to Genji here) but there is NO time to react to Sombra’s hack, get caught in Mei’s freeze without swift strike, might as well just killbind, and if I don’t reflect the McCree flashbang, game over. DON’T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON MOIRA, THAT SKILL-LESS ABOMINATION THAT THEY CALL A “HERO”! (I know that Moira doesn’t count as CC, but we’re talking about things that completely shut down other heroes). With the addition of Brigette, now you don’t even have a chance to react to getting stunned out of nowhere. It is getting increasingly hard for characters weak to stun to actually have fun playing the game. (Which is why TF2 has taken up my class-based shooter, for while it does have CC, it is either knockback, more annoying than threatening most of the time, or a short slow, or a specific type of tauntkill (Medic Ubersaw or Sniper Huntsman), which, if you fall into, you really deserve to die.

1 Like

Money will spent for him if he’s that unwilling to enjoy other characters.

As someone who plays a lot of Rein, this is kinda how I feel nowadays

I’m playing for as long as the PvE modes are in the game and then probably quitting until the next event

Sorry but being stunned out of my shield every 6 seconds and getting slaughtered right after or knocked a mile back ain’t a fun thing to play against if you want to tank

It’s not a one trick thing, Rein is just my favorite hero, but nowadays if I pick him I just feel like I’m using a troll pick, hell someone got mad at me once because I picked Rein

THAT’S a baffling problem

6 Likes

Yeah… I can honestly say that many people on my friend list, another Rein player included, haven’t been themselves lately.

5 Likes

The thing is too these characters (Moira,Brigitte, Sombra) are supposed to counter the flankers although you can still outplay them. Like on Tracer I have a quick enough reaction time to interrupt Sombra hack if she’s stupid enough to do it in front of me and bait Brigitte’s stun or only engage a Moira when I know she has her cooldowns down.

However playing vs these characters as other characters or tanks feels terrible. Sombra hack or Brigitte makes tanks feel terrible and playing supports vs Moira can be as bad as a matchup as vs the flankers. They need to stop adding in these carebear options for the complainers. The devs got it right in the beginning with characters like Reinhardt/Mercy who didn’t need mechanical aim but still had tons of depth.

6 Likes

At this point I have lost hope for my favorite hero. There has been so many good Reinhardt threads in the past two weeks with great feedback but no answers from the devs. They’re not communicating about Reinhardt at all.
I mean, damn, 27 Feb they said there was a Reinhardt Earthshatter fix incoming early-April and we still don’t even know what is up with that.

5 Likes

Same as a flanker. Fighting Moira as a flanker, to me, is too much of a one sided fight. Moira heals just enough to keep her from dying, meanwhile there’s nothing I can do myself against it, not even run away because the range is too stupidly long. Sombra hack as Genji nowadays just means you’re dead, and most of the time you won’t even see the Sombra if the Sombra is playing right. Brigette, I will admit, I haven’t fought as Genji much. I agree very much that Blizzard NEEDS to stop adding in characters that require no aim nor skill to be effective (like a certain scientist maybe? Hmm…), and that completely stamp a very rude version of “NO” on any fun someone may have as a flanker.

2 Likes