My experience from bronze rank (info, tips, stats)

Because I aquired account placed in bronze I would like to share my experience on it. Tank role was at 1408 SR, support role at 1081 SR and DPS at 1052 SR. So far I climbed to Silver on all of them in few days. I would like to talk about few points and give some feedback.

1. Why you are stuck in bronze
  2. Explenation of heroes I used
  3. My rules and next goal
  4. Statistics

WHY ARE YOU STUCK IN BRONZE

Things I saw in bronze were hilarious, disturbing, weird and shocking sometimes. I will write down list of things what I saw people were doing in bronze and if anyone in bronze is reading this, try to avoid doing these things so you can climb.

People are in bronze because:

• They rarely turn around, and if they do its very slow
  • They have no concept of grouping up, I didnt see that in one game
  • They defend outside of point, they dont fight on point when they should
  • They dont cooperate and use ults together
  • They go into 1v6 fights, even ults 1v6 solo often, even when enemy team just captured point.
  • They dont know what their abilities do, they use them wrong
  • They have often totaly weird positioning when defending, often on low ground, very rarely they are on high ground
  • They dont join voice chat( they do in US, they dont in EU)
  • They are often oblivious when someone is shooting at them or killing them from high ground or from behind
  • They dont use high ground as advantage
  • They dont know which heroes to pick to defend or to counter enemy heroes
  • They often peek and die for no reason, I saw this many times done by support players.
  • They try to defend infront of enemy spawn
  • Reinhards are either charging like maniacs suiciding or they are extremely passive never pushing.
  • They fight in situations when they cannot win, fight to death when they can escape
  • They feed horribly dying one by one
  • They keep fighting 2,3,4v6 in lost fights
  • They dont switch when they are countered
  • 70% people in voice dont listen strategy and call outs at all, symetra saying teleport left, nobody cares and they go right
  • They often do talk weird nonsense in voice chat or normal chat(but its all ranks lol)
  • They do horrible team comps
  • They go same routes, flanking over and over again even if they failed multiple times, being way too predictable
  • They stand still or move in straight lines
  • They are not pushing on tanks even when team has multiple kills
  • They dont heal and focus dmg while team mates are dying
  • They ignore flankers killing their team mates while they are able to help them
  • They dont help to mercy players get back to fights, lucio players dont help team mates who are respawining to get back faster
  • They dont shoot Junkrat´s tire
  • They ignore Symetra and Torbjorn turrets
  • They use ults for no reason
  • They die to D.va ult without trying to hide
  • They cant deal with bastion as there is no team work often.

Thats about it, there is probably more things I missed tho.

EXPLENATION OF HEROES I USED

I would like to say that I could play any hero and climb, but it would be longer way on some of them probably. Mostly because some heroes require more help from team than others.

Tank - I played only 4 games to be silver. I played Roadhog in them. I prefer him over other tanks as he doesnt need as much team work from others.
Support - I Tried Baptiste and Mercy, but in the end I stayed with zen mostly. A lot of people in bronze is playing reaper and zen is so good against him. People are often playing main healers in bronze ELO so playing off support who can do a lot of dmg and save others from powerfull ults is good idea. And he is meta now anyway.
DPS - I played mostly Mei, some games Widowmaker and McCree, even Pharah and Reaper when I felt like I need to play something else when I was countered. As we know, Mei Is kind of meta hero and she is very strong at low ranks as she can do so much on her own. I could honestly play reaper, but I felt like it would be too easy.

MY RULES AND NEXT GOALS

I did set few rules for me and I will kep playing by these rules even in future on this account. I sometimes slightly bend them tho :).

• I am trying to stay positive all the time
  • I am trying to not be toxic and comment others and their gameplay or hero picks
  • I am trying to play only SOLO (I made exception with last 4 games on support where I played with my silver friend and I had like 3 occasions where I grouped up with people I played with in random games. People like to group up when they win. But I try to avoid playing in bigger stacks.

As I already climbed into Silver, my next goal is GOLD rank and I will make similar topic like this when I will do it.

STATISTICS

This part will probably be interesting for a lot of people, I tried to keep as much information I was able to. If you want to see pictures, just copy the text and delete blank space after dot. I used one column “Special”. I used that for writing donw the leavers, smurfs, throwers and stuff like that. E. before next word mean enemy. For example "E.LEAVER means he was on enemy team.

TANK: imgur. com/mr4zcQ7
SUPPORT: mgur. com/raKL0j0
DPS: imgur. com/qxrKLFI

So I did 4 games on tank, 14 games on support and 22 games as DPS

In all these games I saw:

• 1 game where someone on my team left and we lost because of that
  • 1 game where someon left and we won 5v6 anyway(pushing payload all 3 points 5v6+ second round win 5v6)
  • 3 games were canceled
  • 3 games where enemy team had leaver who cost them the match
  • 2 games enemy team had try hard smurfs (we won anyway)
  • 1 game where enemy team had smurf duo playing dumb on purpose, but I cant say they throwed exactly(we won)
  • 1 game where my team had Zarya smurf tryharding(we won)
  • 1 game where our Mei was throwing (i watched replay, we lost btw)

I would like to mention that enemy teams have a lot more chance to have leaver if you actualy play good as they will tilt because their team is failing. If you keep playing good, your team will be happy and have less chance to leave from tilting.

Was there anything else interesting I saw? :smiley: Oh yes

• Ana noticing I am carrying, giving nano to my hog every time, which was nice
  • Roadhog going 1v6 solo utling while we were capturing point 1
  • Team incredibly feeding in attack and holding first point after 1:0 like pro team :slight_smile:
  • A lot of absolutly silent games in EU
  • Being told to switch when I carried as Widowmaker
  • Useless tanks +support blaming our dps while they were only ones doing something and had card with amazing stats at the end
  • Kid demanging Ana for his genji multiple times, told to switch and he did lol, I guess good kid :smiley:
  • Most insane game I ever saw, when my team won game by playing 5v6 payload map. We defended all 3 points(lost them) and then pushed all 3 too, whole time with 5v6, we even had more time and won next attack round. It was joy to see so much happines from my team.

EDIT: I almost forgot, here are time stats just for fun

TANK (4 GAMES)
Time wasted in queue: 1 minute 38 second
Time in game: 47 minutes 34 second

SUPPORT (15 GAMES)
Time wasted in queue: 18 minutes 31 seconds
Time in game: 2 hours 44 minutes 36 seconds

DPS (22 GAMES)
Time wasted in queue: 2 hours 35 minutes 33 seconds
Time in game: 3 hours 51 minutes 33 seconds

Queue times on support and even dps are shorter in US than queue times in EU, sometimes you will get game in US even 2x faster.

Thats all I guess, leave a comment if you like my topic. I will write next one after I will climb again, next stop is GOLD :wink:

9 Likes

All of the salty bronze players are going to steer completely clear of this topic.

5 Likes

Yeah, that already happened in my thread yesterday

Alexy, your thread was nothing like this.
It was smug, arrogant and patronising.

The TS, whom i had +1, at least provided decent constructive feedback which is mostly true.

You on the other hand, did not do that at all.

As a Bronzer, i cannot disagree with most of your points despite the patronising tone. They are mostly accurate.

There really are certain trends which i have noticed as well and have tried to advise my team mates when i play. When they do take the advice, we typically win or have a good fighting chance. When they do not, we just get stomped.

The thing about playing Hog is this. If one is a true Bronzer, unless s/he plays close to a Reinhardt, the team will lose if the opposing team is going double shield. D.Va may work but only for her bomb. Otherwise, she still feeds.

True Bronze dd players are better off with Mei, Reaper, Junk Rat or Bastion versus Widow and McCree. All four are great for busting tanks.

Healers, i personally advise Bronzers to use Mercy and Bap for Immortality Field but that is iffy because a Bronze Bap may toss it somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Moira Bronzers are almost always dps Moira. Lucios are all over the place and do not know when to speed and when to heal.

1 Like

Tank:

Support:

Damage Dealer:

3 Likes

Initially stopped right there. None of them is at <500, so there is no true pain here.

Also, I understand that it’s an “experience” topic, but is it really all you can say but “avoid doing stuff”? Slight disappointment.

1 Like

Would’nt that be you as well? Because you aquired the account in bronze and its not your rank. Thats the definition of smurfing.

4 Likes

It wasnt my intention to be patronising, sorry. Thank you so much for posting the pictures btw.

I would have to throw hard to get to 500 bronze. I guess all things I noticed slightly higher are true and more intesse at bronze 500. Some heroes can be pain to play there, but my hero choice would be same there, heroes who dont exactly need team and can do a lot of their own. And you can climb by stats even better from 500 than from 1000.

What more you would like to see?

You can probably say that. If you were in my games you would probably notice better player than other in same rank, probably not in many of my games tho. For example when I played on zen some games, I wasnt exactly killing everyone but I had very good moments ulting or healing critical targets.

I had one game as widow, even people who were bronze countered me and I had to switch. I am not a god who can 1v6 people on every hero. Some games were hard to win and were close.

In the end I am looking at game from my perspective of individual, if you were in every game , you would probably see me as smurf many of them. But from my perspective I saw only few better players than rank I was in. I dont see myself as smurf because I am going only up, my intension is not to stay in low ranks, or going there back after I climb.

I expected to see more smurf to be honest based on what I see here of bn forum very often.

1 Like

It seems I’ll never understand that.

Thanks to your answer, nothing else.

What I mean by that is, you can climb easy just by having good stats even when you winrate would be around 50%. And you will gain better stats against people who are lower. If you are at bronze 500, you will get like 40+ SR for every game whene you perform way better than team mates.

I get it, you are bronze right now, you are not a smurf. In order to climb, you have to get better at the game, practice, learn from mistakes, get some game knowledge and then if you will go comp again with your new skill, you will be for example Silver skilled player smurfing in low bronze, gaining a lot SR for wins.

Correct. Bronze since mid-season 12, only acc (planning to get an alt), don’t speak Gamerish, just trying to do what the game wants me to do and failing at it. And stats make no sense for me. Such good times you’re talking about have long gone for me. Accepted and rarely care, but such words still kinda hit.

Hey Love, thanks for the reply.
No no, please. Don’t be sorry but thank you, I had you figured out to be a nice guy actually which was why I mentioned that what was patronising was the “tone” was and not “you/threadstarter” per se.
I have been told by others that i often sound patronising to the point of being obnoxious when I talk to colleagues, ex-colleagues, friends and even family who are not of the same educational level as I am and especially those who are aware of my alma mater, which is ranked top 11 internationally.
They all think that i am “talking down” to them.
I have learnt to moderate my tone and am careful of my words over the decades…but it still does irk people sometimes. However, it appears that my fellow varsity mates also seem to have be told that they are like that as well.

However, that said and done, I do applaud your efforts in attempting to educate the Bronzers. It is helpful and informative.
Like for example, another forumer here, pyah. He is a very nice young man and tries to advise and be helpfui, just like you and has mentioned that the best Tank character to use to move from Bronze to Silver and probably Silver to Gold is Road Hog, just like you.
However, he has not quite compiled that stats to show what is the benchmark required to obtain that elusive +40 (+/-) SR. Your posts shows that and as a person who had dealt with poring over large amounts of data to write “white papers” for high level government officials and ministries, i am keenly aware of the effort it took you to record, classify and present everything.
Only someone who is passionate to help and to educate would do that.
A braggard would never do something like that nor a less intelligent young man.

My pleasure and my honour.
I do hope that it helps the Bronzers who are serious about improving themselves.
It serves as a good benchmark.

But my goodness…how do guys like you manage 40-50 kills as Road Hog?!
At best, this old man is only getting 20+ kills on Hog, despite being in the top 77% for accuracy and top 88% in hook accuracy albeit in Bronze.
That said, yeah, I think that I am gonna go sole Hog now. I am sick of always dying as a Shield Tank.

If I did not mention it, thank you for the post.
It really should be a bookmark for Bronzers.

1 Like

It’s great that you doing this but I do think bronze players will get salty and still complain that they in bronze. And going from bronze to gold people will stay defending better at about 1800. They most likely not going to be at spawn. But from 1500 to 1800,1900 my advise would be focus on your play your positiong your machanics. But going from silver to gold from about 2100 you have to start thinking of the game as a 6v6 the way you rank up is understanding how your individual value effects the whole team so that be my advise when you get to gold and in gold 1500 and upwards to from that they minor differences but still bad

3 Likes

All good advice.

As someone who was in bronze for most of Season 10 back then, I would say what took me to silver was I got good at one hero (Reaper), focused on doing my job to the best of my ability, worked with my team when I could, and didn’t worry as much about what they were going to pick or do (i.e. I didn’t worry about the meta, or about player’s playstyles, etc.). And it all worked.

Also, glad to see guides like these in the forums. They really can help out players imo who are maybe struggling in bronze and feel like they’re stuck there.

1 Like

Bronze doesnt need a team comp.

4 Likes

Most people can’t get to Bronze even if they didn’t try.

2 Likes

its not that hard to get to bronze, just play on heros you don’t normally play (and pick fights 1v3 or worse)

I am smurfing in bronze guys! Am I cool yet?!

I disagree, I think every rank will benefit from good comp over bad comp if you have same skilled people in your games.

Mostly because I punish people who have bad positioning and feed.

1 Like