Mouse disconnecting during games and cursor getting stuck on screen

Sometimes during games Windows will make the disconnect noise and my mouse cursor will appear on screen but I will be unable to move it or look around until it reconnects again but the cursor will still stay stuck on my screen. I’m not using any overlays like Discord or Steam. I’m not very good with computers so I’m unsure of what is causing it, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is it a wired or wireless mouse?

It is a wired mouse.

Hmm…I would suggest downloading the drivers for it from the manufacture’s website and reinstall them. That would be my first step.

I’ll give it a try, thank you!

This sounds like your cable on the mouse or the USB port itself might be having an issue. Try another port, and if that doesn’t help, you can try the drivers, but sometimes it’s just the mouse itself.

This exact same thing started happening to me just a few days ago as well.

I use a Logitech mouse and after a ton of research I found that this is actually a very common issue with Logitech mice when gaming. Ugh.

2 Likes

There are apparently a lot of possible software/hardware issues that can cause this, but in my case it was enough to connect the mouse to a different USB port directly on the PC instead of the external USB hub. This fixed the problem immediately.

It might have been a power supply issue, but it is notable that the problem only occurred while OW was active, and only with a new PC (the mouse and hub had worked before). The hub (still connected to the same port) also still powers the keyboard and external HD without a problem.

[Edited by Moderator]
This thread has been inactive for some time. Please be mindful of resurrecting older threads. A new or more recent thread can be created to continue the discussion. Locking this thread.