Moira: your damage Orb doesn't work the way you think it does

Those of us who know how it works look to group up to spread its effect.

Also, 300 Ult charge from Yellow > 200 from Purple.

2 Likes

If you’re in a team fight and figure a damage orb will be more beneficial from a healing one, you should 100% throw it into the mix. Obviously trying to angle it so it hits high priority enemies is ideal, but dealing 200 damage spread out among the enemy team is still very worthwhile when they’re already taking damage from you and the rest of your team.

Don’t listen to Stylosa too much, you’ll learn less than you might hope to.

1 Like

Sorry, as a D.Va player, I do look to eat the yellow orbs as well. But it’s true, not enough Tank players in general understand the value of using their defensive abilities to block enemy healing (one of Winston’s great hidden strengths).

Once you played Support for a while, you realise how annoying that can get.

1 Like

True, but capped at how much damage you could heal.

If you don’t have 200 damage to heal, purple is better for ult charge.

Heal orb floor roof bouncing so you have a free standing healthpack for 10 seconds is under rated though.

That really is the gift that keeps giving.

1 Like

Also damage is capped, you see a lot of stray Purples which don’t get fully used up either.

And as a Tank player, you have no idea how infuriating it can be to see a Purple orb fly past when you’re in a position to take up a full Yellow just to yourself, never mind team mates stood next to you.

Now, you’re probably going to tell me about situationality or whatever. But Purples are just symptomatic of bad habits, they’re not really being thought about. Yes, they can be good, but they shouldn’t be the default button. A lot of players view it the other way, and that’s how these habits develop.

Yellows also take the strain off the healing meter they’re always whining about as well.

That is all true, I don’t disagree with any of that.

I tend to yellow myself, unless I have an easy target.

Dead enemies is a lot of virtual healing.

D’va is the reason Moira’s complain about running out of piss :slight_smile:

Once matrix is gone, you shouldn’t be face tanking :slight_smile:

It’s weird. Healing hogs and d’vas as Moira is the worst.

As Ana it is the best.

1 Like

On some maps, like Nepal Villahe, this is my favourite way of healing.

2 Likes

When you’re in trancendence?

Actually as a high masters Moira main and a dedicated Tesla_ow viewer (look him up if you don’t know who he is) I’m telling you you’re wrong. Apart from the fact that damage orb can give a whopping 11% ult charge in a few seconds, it also forces the enemy backline to spread out or waste resources on themselves. Any damage that can be healed with your M1 you should NOT spend heal orb on. Also the argument that 300 heal ult charge > 200 damage ults charge that I see tossed around in these forums all the time is completely invalid since you can just heal that 300 with your M1 and use damage orb for +11% instead.

7 Likes

Throwing it into many enemies lets you build Ult charge a lot faster and it also just helps apply an extra bit of pressure to enemy squishies

Like o get his point but I don’t think many moiras(me included) usually throw it in thinking “hey I’ll get a kill in that group” it’s more to just build Ult

5 Likes

The ult fallacy: “By charging your ult, your charging your enemies ult”

The funny thing is when two Moiras 1v1 duel, and one throws purple and one throws yellow. Who ever threw the yellow orb will win the duel.

1 Like

Yes! If you are facing down another Moira, use the yellow orb unless she is hurt enough that purple will end her.

2 Likes

Yeah, they need to be at like, 50 hp. This is how you can tell the difference between a good and bad Moira.

That and chucking an orb, and ulting instantly after. When your ult ends, orb is off cooldown again.
.getting your pre ult orb out is pretty helpful.

1 Like

dps moiras are not known for their intelligence

people use the damage orb to charge the coalescence quicker in poke if there’s no d.va or genji (soon to be sigma) in the mix.
and when you got the coalescence you can either use healing orb in conjunction with the beam or damage orb, which really is the best is dependent on the situation.
but the fact that healing orb has 300 in healing resources and damage orb only has 200 makes the choice more obvious which is actually stronger in some scenarios.

but it’s really funny throwing a damage orb into a snipers nest, they get really messed up by that.

Are you honestly the least bit surprised by this?

Ult charge, my dude. When my healing is low, I wont rely on my heal Orb to heal my entire time… I need to get Coalescence as fast as possible. A full damage Orb gives me 10% ult charge, that plus my healing and my damage, will get my ult super fast in case my healing runs low. You need to know that Moiras don’t want to deal damage all the time, we’re focusing on healing, but in order to maximize it, we need to do damage.

Don’t know who that is but if it’s another streamer on Youtube, we don’t need them to understand if a Moira is good or not.

“A lot of” ? Source please with accurate numbers or else it’s just your personal assumptions based on personal feelings which don’t have any value when it comes to building facts.

This clearly proves you don’t know how to play Moira either if you think the best use of Moira’s orb is in a 1 VS 1. Depending on which hero you’re against (in 1 VS 1), it can be more useful to throw a healing orb between two walls so it bounces back and forth (so you can have a lot of self-healing) and in the meantime you use your biotic grasp (which self-heals too) to kill the target and when they’re low HP, your orb is available again to finish the target off (without being low HP as Moira).

And just so you know, Damage Orb is best when a group of enemies are all low HP so it forces them to split up and they’re toast. Damage has its best use to finish low HP off in a difficult situation where both the enemy team and allies are low HP. It can be game turning. People don’t often acknowledge it but here lies Moira’s utility.

If you’re referring to people throwing a Damage orb in a pack of enemies that are all full HP, yes it can be useless but also very useful if your team is pressuring them because it forces the enemies to split up which can be a great advantage to your team winning the fight.

Not really, it’s all very situational. It’s not exact science. Again, this is just your opinion and can’t be taken as a fact per se.

It is powerful and helps to keep your team up but it takes coordination and good positioning from your team. If they’re all separate, it doesn’t work and if you’re in a open space of the map you gotta be careful when throwing it. It’s more effective when the place is narrow (corridors, small spaces etc…).

A good player will be observant and pay attention to the opponent’s abilities so this argument is just common sense…

Anyways, I don’t know why you’re ranting about Moira and Moira’s players but your thread clearly shows you don’t understand much about that hero. It’s very rich from you to judge their gameplay and mistakes when your opinion is so biased and based on… nothing concrete.

I think it’s best if you’d stop telling people how to play their hero and focus on yours. Maybe try and learn how to play Moira yourself before judging and making useless threads like this.

Best wishes.

2 Likes

Stylosa pointing out common sense since, well, forever I guess.

Nothing new here.