Moira double layered beam concept

I want good Moira mains to take a look at this and give feedback. I don’t want any bias here, even though it’s bound to happen because forums.
Edit: ahem it already happened

Moira

Biotic Grasp (Secondary Fire)

• There are now two layers of beams in Biotic Grasp
    • One center beam with a 0.2 width and a beam with a same width as the old Biotic Grasp
  • Center beam deals 90 damage per second
  • Off-center beam deals 40 damage per second and decays at about 10 damage per second and stops at 5 damage per second
    • Hitting an enemy with the center beam restores off-center beam damage at about 20 damage per second
    • Passively restores off-center beam damage at 5 damage per second after 1 second of not in use
  • Center beam regenerates biotic energy 12% faster
  • Off-center beam regenerates biotic energy 16% slower
  • Beam maximum range decreased from 20 meters to 16 meters

This was copy and pasted from my aggressive experimental change concept
Also the numbers could be changed easily i just want the actual concept to be reviewed

9 Likes

oh… so like if you’re bad at aim, you can still play her, but you get rewarded for better aim in both damage and healing. love it.

1 Like

Seems overly complex…couldn’t you accomplish the same type of thing by simply decreasing size of beam and adjusting the numbers accordingly?

Note: that doesn’t say it’s a bad idea

1 Like

“Moira wasn’t dumpstered so here are more nerfs we need”

2 Likes

This is a very solid idea, but just like pretty much everyone who criticises the beam; it misses the point of it’s existance.

It’s low-skill low-reward to make it so you can’t do anything great with it; it’s designed to not be a crutch that you can jump back to when dived or attacked. It’s to stop it being a crutch while also giving her realative ease and predictability in dealing with high-mobility. Right now, she’s a detterent, but increasing her damage in any way makes her a threat. That’s what you want to avoid.

I’m one of the minority who thinks it’s actually one of the best designed parts of her kit. It’s the damage orb that makes it a little overwhelming, and guess what just got a nerf.

It’s current state is a nice mingling of anti-flank pressure, supporting damage and resource gen. The “auto-lock” that people like to complain about is a benefit to the enemy team more than Moira; it gives flankers a reasonable and predictable time-window where they know they’re safe, whereas someone like Zen and even Mercy has the nasty ability to just clap you down in under a second.

As long as you’re tracking enemy CDs (and if you aren’t, come on, learn to play), and not diving her when she has the orb, you’ll have no issue with her.

2 Likes

L

I actually never saw damage beam that way. Thank you for the explanation.

2 Likes

Everyone I see looks at it top-down rather than thinking about the whole picture. They see it as “well if Soldier was that forgiving he’d be overpowered” without concidering that she has far less damage, no headshots and no way to excel with her offensive measures.

3 Likes

Multi layers seems unliked by players and the devs- see sigma changes and mercy chain beams

As the CEO of Moira mains,

NO.

3 Likes

I’d be terrified of me with more killing power on Moira lol

I made a list of other changes they can try that doesn’t have anything to do with making her mechancial skill requirment higher

As the CEO of RightClickIsALockOnChangeMyMind,

YES.

1 Like

So you think that current right click is a lock on, and so your solution is to make it do 10 less damage and then allow people to do 50 more damage for aiming? I’m all for Moira buffs, but this is creating a hero who can be played easily by low ranked players and be abused by high rank ones too.

Moira currently struggles from being useless in higher ranks. Wanna fix her? Raise her low skill floor and bring the ceiling up too. Tighten beam- making it do 40 damage and allow headshots- this gives her mechanical demand without making her obnoxious across the entire ladder.

2 Likes

could’ve just said that before lol. but thank you for the feedback, regardless.

1 Like

I like the removing I-frames from Fade and stopping her ez-escape. Disincentivise damage orb is a good idea too, especially by starting it’s CD after it despawns, though It’d probably be best to drop it’s damage/heal total by half and also half the CD

1 Like

Why does everyone always presume you’re picking fights…Moira can very easily pick the fight herself…fade is a much a good escape ability as it is an engagement ability…

Or you can just happen to run into one too…

Either way you’re probably screwed…especially at low levels

It is a terrible engagement ability. It leaves you with absolutely no way out, and Moira has one of the chonkyest hitboxes in the game. Fade is a good escape but it requires you getting to the enemy.

A Moira that dives you can be stopped very quickly and easily, she’s a relative non-threat. If she uses damage orb, then avoid it and use the burst damage she doesn’t have to panic her into Fading away. If she uses healing orb, then just ignore her and get to a teammate. 4 seconds TTK is insanely long, if you’re not with tanks, then stop mispositioning.

Not to mention that Moira’s only value is in pure consistency. Diving the enemy team completely deprives her team of that and puts her in high-risk situations that just aren’t needed or valuable. She might be annoying, and at least minorly successful, but that doesn’t mean she’s having a positive affect on her team.

Huh, if you’re not good at the game, things that shouldn’t work do. Hmm.

2 Likes

Correct, except for the part where low levels is like 90% of all players with the way the ladder breaks…it’s a problem for a LOT of people

Just go reaper or brig and boom Moira can no longer hold right click you off in the low tiers

2 Likes

Anyone Silver and above should know the fundimentals of the game, and from my experience watching my friends play from Silver to Diamond; they know what they need to do, but just don’t want to.

Honestly, the amount of times my friends have said something like “they have X can we go Y to deal with them” only to have literally nobody budge shows that it isn’t skill making that difficult, it’s complacency and most of them not wanting to play competitive competitively.