MMR is Making Me Sick

Just linked you

20 chars

1 Like

You’re low diamond. You deserve your rank.

God I remember I got you on my team once and all you did was flank on Zen and die half the times lol

1 Like

And neither is yours. Stop regurgitating outdated legacy posts regarding how you think/thought the matchmaker works/worked. You’re not an authoritative source, stop treating your posts like official sticky. It is misleading towards the community and belittles their skepticism.

These “how the matchmaker works” were based on heresay then, and are based on heresay now. It’s a patented ‘customer is the product’ system rigged with dda for engagement, and mmr/sr doesn’t even begin to tell the whole story.

1 Like

I feel that at this many hours in I’ve lost faith in teamwork… typically games are won by a few good men.

I’m all about the Zen-sassin™️ life, but if a pattern sets in I definitely fall victim to it expecting nothing to change.

I’m just not a fan of the lack of honor & integrity amongst the toxic community. The experience I went through in our game is incredibly common for me; it’s affecting my mental health.

Easier to blame the guy trying to solve problems & failing than try to solve them as a team or yourself.

Hope we get to play again.

I’m with you. The match-forcing is repugnant.

And it never stops working hard - even outside of comp.
Can’t even get casual/chill qp/qpc games. And I’m <500sr, I don’t know what I have to do to convince the game I should be hard carried for a single arcade win.

1 Like

The reason the community is so toxic is due to Blizzard creating an addictive personality by starting everyone in gold/plat. Players who don’t belong there should have never started there. The MMR system can’t rank people at Lvl 25 properly. Make it a literal climb upwards and start everyone in bronze. Also create a better system that tracks players stats to provide the correct amount of SR post win to prevent boosting via teammates. This will make matches above gold cleaner.

The reason they wouldn’t do this is because they like making people think they are better than they are, so they keep trying to reach that high SR that they started out with. This creates a mental addiction. I wouldn’t put it past them to give a couple of free wins to make their SR go up more. We already know they like to stick low players with high players to make them carry. Keep dealing your drug Blizzard.

1 Like

Already tracks your stat. but your point above this is right.

3 Likes

True, but I think it can be better.

If they want to make it less grind they could but the system we have in place is made so we need to play a lot. And that’s their goal and money.

1 Like

The problem with this line of thinking is you’re assuming you are being placed with lower MMR teammates because your MMR is high.

Here’s two thoughts

1. What if you are the lower MMR player?

2. Isn’t a fair match better achieved by matching 12 players of near equal MMR rather than trying to balance highs with lows? Why do you not think it’s trying to do that?

2 Likes

I suppose that’s the sad reality right? That my MMR is, in fact, equal with those around me.
I’m not special.

I do stand by the amount of hours I’ve sunk into this game & I feel that I’m well versed and skilled at ‘reading’ the game. I know where I can improve and I can see the value in a VC I choose to abstain from.

The game depresses me because regardless of the effort I put in I’m seldom met with positive / reward and, dramatically, met with more toxicity, slander, and shame / hate.

The social aspects of this game; the toxic aspects of this game I feel are pushing me towards isolation and independent-play vs team-play.

The toxicity is so bad I think that people tend to gang up and form their own groupthink.

-and in this scenario it doesn’t matter anymore that the tank isn’t gonna go winston (vs a widow or Ashe). The amount of damage he takes and the lack of ability to close ground & tank doesn’t matter, because everyone is told to scapegoat someone else.

When I posted this, I wasn’t going for “I’m special, why me”.

My point lies in that no matter how well versed I can be in the combat, the work I’m trying to put in & the situations I’m trying to solve (ala widow/ Ashe) is offset by teammates who I feel don’t share the same game sense.

I digress,
I think the toxic culture is growing in OW. No game feels complete without someone shaming and placing blame on someone and I feel that people seek to rally themselves around other toxic players to form their own crap-community and crap justifications.

If you’re no longer enjoying the game you’d probably be best off stopping cold turkey. I had to take a 6 month break because of how the game made me feel.

ELO will bounce you around like a yo-yo depending on factors that are completely out of your control but will keep you in a certain range, your skill range. You’re not bad - it’s just that you’re not currently capable of getting higher. I’ve played the game since launch and have only made it to mid silver.

I know that it’s hard to separate your worth from your number but you aren’t your number.

You. Are. Not. Your. SR.

3 Likes

This. The matchmaking needs to find similar sub-team for both teams. E.g. enemy has diamond dps teamed up with gold support (in a plat game) then the search should continue as FREAKING LONG as it takes to find out diamond dps + gold support for my team.

They can’t…
there are legit lower ranks players and if every account started down there then those players just become cannon fodder.

the only way the community will ever come to terms with the match maker is if they accept that the only person hold them back is their own game play or lack of game rounds played.

Like if a person is still facing the spawn door as Ana on Junkertown defense as it opens for the first time, odds that player is 100% still a gold or lower. Being you will never see a support past 3k risk being killed 2 seconds into the game starting for the chance to do a few body shots as Ana as the attack door opens.

EMP in a 1vs6 fight? Pop ult on a payload after it captures? All stuff that keeps players in a lower ranks. Until that stops, it’s not the match maker that’s the issue.

It’s like how weight loss is really about diet, not exercise. It’s almost impossible to just workout enough to make up for slamming down endless junkfood.

1 Like

They are cannon fodder in Plat, Gold, and Silver games. Let them learn to get better at bronze and rise instead of making them drag others back a game. I understand that everyone is accountable for their own actions and that players can Bronze to GM. It takes them days of non-stop play time to do it and they are helped along by a generous to new accounts SR system. I’d like to see more streamers do a “I bought this LVL 300 bronze account and took it to GM in a week” streams/videos just to see the rage they feel.

I think that by starting players in bronze and giving the carry in groups way more SR than their teammates, the ladder would be a lot cleaner once you get to gold by making it a more skill based climb than a luck of the draw. That’s how gold-plat feels, more luck than anything. Diamond feels ten times better because new accounts aren’t starting there.

3 Likes

Join the new forum discord…

Bring Pyah if you can

1 Like

there aren’t future bronze players in plat and gold… That’s not how the system works.

plus any losses for a player falling is spread out over 100s of other players. It’s why those losses don’t really impact other player’s SR very much, if at all.

but if the system was based around a bronze starting point, then those true lower rank players would constantly be facing players +2, +3 tiers higher in almost every game.

and as harsh as this sounds, gold IS the training wheel zone from the view point of the better players. It’s why the 50% play pop break point is in gold. An easy 40%+ of the player population is better than your average gold player.
The current gold start point is a low SR start point to learn the game. Most players with a FPS background in other games are not going to be gold.

This is probably the best thing you can do if you are a decent person and want to stay that way. Jerks will tell you it’s throwing, but they are jerks. Team game doesn’t mean you have to open yourself to abuse. It’s totally not worth it most of the time. Make some friends if you really like the social aspect if it, but you shouldn’t feel bad about ignoring randoms in this community during a match. They can be really awful.

2 Likes

That’s exactly how it is already. With team averages, they are perpetually the weakest link.