Missing sounds and incorrect directional hit notifications

What i can hear: Me shooting people and the hit markers from hits

What i can’t hear: Anyone attacking me, reinhardt can follow me while swinging his weapon and make no sound, widowmaker can shoot me in the head repeatedly and i can’t tell what has hit me due to no sound cue

The directional red hit cues that appear on the edges of the screen when you receive damage are always on the left and right regardless if some one attacks from in front or behind, but that might just be poor game mechanics as i don’t know if they can appear at the top or bottom of the screen.

Sound is broken though for sure, can’t react to anything as the sounds for receiving damage from any source are missing

Quick edit, tried the steps in the troubleshooting guide for sound issues and sound is still missing

2 Likes

I’m having similar issues, came with the last update, fixing the game files had no effect.
Headshot and hit sounds not triggering right, no sounds from jump pad as Shato, no sounds picking up health pack. Weird sound cannibalization time to time.
No other applications (games) have these issues. No problems with my sound card or sound drivers. These issues occurred about 5 days ago.
Weird.

2 Likes

This is definitely happening to a small group of people and there is no fix found as of yet. I tried posting this on the Tech Support page with no reply. Things I’ve noticed since Brigitte update is:

-No health pack pickup sound (about 90%+ of the time)
-No audio cue for control point team change
-Random missing head shot and body shot audio indicators. Very noticeable with someone like Pharah who land shots from far away.
-There are several more small audio cues missing.

I’ve found multiple old forum posts from xmas with people experiencing the exact same thing. No resolutions have ever been posted in forums.

Since the issue started a week ago, I have a new SSD, image of windows 10, install of OW, updated creative and GPU drivers, no latency or packet loss at all, windows patches and it still happens every single match.

I currently use a Creative Sound Blaster X‑Fi Titanium HD PCIe for my audio. We might be on our own for this issue or they will do a stealth fix on a future patch. There has to be something we all have in common, anyone else have this audio card too?

2 Likes

Hey! I think I may have found a fix for this. On the battle . net client and on your desktop try resetting what you have as your base speakers/playback device. I reset mine to my Logitech Headphones and no longer am having the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip DrButterman but I found my fix. It was a self inflicted wound! When the change from Ping to Latency was made I was messing with my options to get the new Latency ticker on my HUD and inadvertently must have enabled Limit Client Send Rate and Limit Server Send Rate. Obviously this feature would halt some non essential traffic. This may help a few others on here with minor visual and audio cues that are incorrect/missing.

3 Likes

I’ll try this out once I’m at home.
From what I recall there were no limits at my network.

Used all other advice found, still 0 results.

But yes, these sound glitches occurred right after ping
and RTT stats merge into the single Latency figure.
The answer is somewhere there…

i have exacly the same problem

Following up, I played for 2 hours last night after the limiters were removed and I had no issues. From the threads I have read over the past few days everyone seemed to point to some sort of network issue and I agree. Some were blaming ISPs, some OW servers but i strongly doubt its a driver/OW bug issue. This is less of a ping/speed issue and more of a bandwidth issue. The UDP packets clearly have some sort of priority when using the limiter because it appeared to remove the same nonessential, yet still important, sounds and animations.

Your checklist should be:
1.) Do a speed tests and make sure you are getting the bandwidth you pay for.
2.) Make sure no one else in your house is causing you to max your bandwidth.
3.) Make sure these settings about limiting the client and server send rates are off. They are in game > Options menu > Gameplay. NOTE: If enabled I believe the client tick rate gets limited to 31Hz and the server tick rate is limited to 20.8Hz. When off, both are 60Hz. As most know the tick rate you play at is vital for a smooth fair experience.
4.) If your still having trouble there may be an upstream networking issue you have little to no control over. You can try and setup Wireshark if your advanced enough and do a packet capture for proof but it will do nothing more then give you peace of mind.

Goodluck!

Yes, the problem was in the network limits.
Turned off and everything is nice and clear.

Thanks a lot! That fixed it for me!

1 Like

Yep im having this issue. No sounds from incoming damadge. Any feedback from Blizz?

Same here no incoming dmg sound on PS4