Mid-year checkpoint

We’re halfway through 2026 now, so I thought I’d just ask what y’all think of the year, and what it’s brought to Overwatch so far? Which of the heroes we’ve gotten is your favourite/least favourite? How are you feeling about the direction of the game overall?

1 Like

I’m happy with most things. New maps and heroes have been great. Also had fun with special modes. Game runs great on PS5 and has no server issues for me.

I’m still confused by the refusal to apply sledgehammer nerfs to hitscans when they’ve been sorely needed for several seasons. It completely undermines the integrity of most matches and has royally messed up DPS competitive rankings since there are so many boosted people who wouldn’t be near their rank if they had to play anything else. I used to like to play them, but I won’t use them anymore since the free value makes me feel dirty.

6 Likes

I know people complained about the slow hero releases but I kind of think that there’s a downside to releasing too many heroes at once and it boils down to general player knowledge being worse. If you don’t have just a ludicrous amount of playtime in the game, you’re not going to know every single counter to every single hero and every perk for every hero, etc. There was simply much less you needed to know to be successful in the past.

Currently, there are 52 heroes in the game. There are 52 unique kits and ultimates and a whopping 208 different perks to have to know what they actually do and how to play around them. They change hero balance and perks around relatively often as well. In July 2026, the amount to remember and be aware of is insanely demanding to be successful. 3 more heroes are expected before the year is out.

Casual or newer players are unlikely to take the time to learn all of this information, which detrimentally impacts match quality for everyone but especially in quick play and lower ranks of competitive play. This is the one of the main issues that Overwatch is going to have to tackle if they want to retain the new players they got back at the start of the year.

1 Like

Same S*** Different Day. Game wont change much or fully improve till the playerbase does.

1 Like

My basic review is that more frequent hero launches and active lore are a massive improvement to the game, but all other areas have been lacking. 2025 was the year where Overwatch no longer felt like a dead game, and 2026 is the year where it finally feels like it’s going full speed again, but they’re doing all the little things to sabotage it

Seasons no longer have anything exciting after the first patch, stadium is one more slow season away from me assuming it’s abandoned long term, too many of the recent heroes are still in a questionable place, events rarely feature gameplay and have gotten more tedious while still being as unrewarding as ever, prices are going up, perks get shuffled and buthcered constantly, and balance team has had some full clown moments

But like, if we were on the old schedule right now we’d have Anran right now with Domina releasing in a bit more than a month, and I just like can’t imagine that.

Favorite definitely Anran, she still needs tuning but just such a clever kit. Least favorite is hard because I don’t really hate anyone. Probably Emre just because they keep taking him in a worse direction each patch and he’s just kind of boring as a hero. Sierra I’m kinda over too but I respect that she’s like a dps for Moira mains

1 Like

I’m still waiting for those promised changes to drives. I have been farming golden guns since around Christmas now and while drives really help, they’re super annoying too. The team promised changes in that big video before season one, so hope it’s not at the end of season six.

I feel the game took two steps forward by dropping the 2 and having faster hero releases.

Content took one step back making events too similar and grungy repetitive.

2026 ow is still better than 2022-2025 ow 2

I’m basically happy with the game aside from map voting and Sombra’s awful state and being worried about the rework and lack of any concrete info on it. Well, and the Ultra skin crap is concerning from the monetization stand point.

Domina and Shion were really strong releases on all scores. Rest have just been ok to shaky imo. Cat is probably the most disappointing to me, I’ve never felt like she was ready to release and really needs a rework already to function fully.

Stadium refresh finally made it fun again for me. I’m still a bit worried they’ll let it slide again but not quite as dismal about it’s future as I was.

I think my active interest/attachment to Overwatch has flatlined. It really feels like it’s settling into just being an elaborate fidget toy. The lore is fubar’d, “events” have become weekly grinds for party favors, cosmetics continue to range from meh to oh my gawd while bundle prices climb from “indie game on Steam” to “actual AAA studio legacy title release,” perks are still a thing, balance is still a dartboard with the “buff Sojourn” card magnetized, matches feel stale and scripted most of the time, and the community continues to tell on itself by unanimously voting for Circuit Royale any time it’s an option.

The good news, I found a chocolate cookie today.

4 Likes

OW has started to feel like just one big skin shop recently

2 Likes

The game is the best it’s ever been and it keeps getting better.

1 Like

A lot of older OW1 heros need looking at with the OW2 design lens. They are weak or outdated or invalidated by modern releases.

It feels like the game took a step forward with its content cadence but feels like its taken two steps backward in the excitement department. To me its hitting that stagnant and boring stage again and I don’t see anything exciting left on the Season 3 roadmap to really make me think differently.

1 Like

Blizzard really put themselves in a no-win situation with Stadium. Either they have massive changes each season and the community absolutely riots, or they do fewer big changes (like adding heroes and maps) and the community absolutely riots. Also that said, they actually reworked nearly the entire roster this season. It feels fresh again.

It’s been great content wise - most of the new heroes I think are great additions to the game and I like the new map and the reworks, I think the focus on the story was definitely needed but I do wish we got more proper cinematics like the vendetta one at the start of the year. However, what’s stopping me from fully loving this game again is that we still have these updates that have ruined the core gameplay, most notably season 9 (also 5v5 but to me that isn’t as big of an issue when we have 6v6 in the game). Despite all the new content and how public opinion has shifted on the game because of those changes I’d still rather be playing 2022/2023 ow2 or ow1 during the dry period because at least the core gameplay felt way better, and it sucks that I don’t see them reverting these changes because I really do think they ruined the game partly for me and made it much more of a slog to play

1 Like

Could make an argument for current overwatch being way better than 2024/2025 ow2 but I’d trade everything we have now for overwatch before season 9

I rather like it. I don’t think it will ever hit a remarkable high for me again (sticking with something for 10 years will make the luster fade, let alone the fact it’s constantly changing and reinventing itself for better or worse… usually worse-) but I don’t hate it. I find most of the new heroes enjoyable, maps-as infrequent as we get them-are pretty decent, skins/bps will always be whatever, and lore progressing at all is a nice change of pace.

On the other hand… Balance is abysmal. Watching characters like Echo and Weaver get nerfed while they pick their nose over Cass and Sojourn is baffling. Perks have lowkey ruined balance with how they near refuse to touch base kit power now. “Events” are atrocious grinds that beg high amounts of daily play for, what, a souvenir no one’s gonna use? A meme title? Awesome. I heard that Webtoon comic is pretty shoddy, too.

It’s a mixed bag, like many things, but I feel like Overwatch’s mixed bag is like blueberries and sea urchins. You can reach in and find something good, but your hand’s definitely coming out in bad condition.

2 Likes

Giving the story more attention is what I wanted, but I haven’t liked any of the events that are tied to it. They’re lame grinds for loot boxes. In s1 I envisioned a 5v5 Talon vs Overwatch on Gibraltar. Players would pick between a set cast of overwatch or Talon agents. A little cut scene showing the jet in the hanger getting damaged. Like a more realized Starwatch mode

And releasing heroes on an increased pace kind of sucks. New content is great and I like most of the new heroes, but it creates a giant re-learning curve for anyone who doesn’t play the game regularly, which is what I think makes the matchmaker feel worse right now. Releasing 2-3 heroes a year might be the sweet spot

I just want Overwatch Classic and I’m kind of mad at everyone talking about collabs or skins instead of the actual wretched game.

2 Likes