Mic / voicechat issues

I’ve been having some issues with mic. I can join group and team voicechat and talk just fine for a while, then few minutes later i can’t talk anymore. I am using open mic atm and i use Q to mute/unmute myself.
I can talk fine and mute /unmute myself in the menus and at the start of the game, but few mins into the game and I can’t unmute myself even if i spam the button. It might get stuck on open mic as well, which isn’t ideal either.

I’ve tried different buttons for that and leaving / joining the voice channels, but it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve unplugged mic, checked that i have latest updates on everything and repaired the game, still nothing.

Anyone else had or has this issue and what fixed it for you? Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Hello WelliHousu :wave:

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with voice chat… I’ve not seen a case where it works for a particular duration then zonks out completely. That suggests a network configuration issue to me…

Let’s try configuring the Windows firewall for Overwatch. It’s important to configure TCP as well as UDP ports for Overwatch. You can refer to this article for instructions:

Configuring Router and Firewall Ports

Some special instructions not included in the article…

After selecting the TCP radio button, copy-paste the following line for the Specific Local Port field:

1119, 3724, 6113, 80

After finishing the TCP rule, make a new rule following the steps, but select UDP instead of TCP. Then, for those Specific Local Ports, copy-paste this:

3478-3479, 5060, 5062, 6052, 12000-64000

Then finish the steps and retry the game!

This exact same thing is happening to me. I havent changed any of my network settings so where is this coming from

Tried the solution and didn’t work, still keeps doing the same exact thing…

This same issue is happening to me. The team chat on the top left corner is not popping up for me. I hear the sound of my mic turning on but it does not show I am talking. When I ask in chat if anyone can hear me, they say no. Not sure what to do at this point.

WelliHousu,

If it’s not router port configuration, my next best bet would be some kind of network instability or quality of service settings. Can you catch yourself disconnecting from voice using winMTR? To do that, install the program, join a game where you’re in voice chat, and then set WinMTR up with the IP from the network graph. (Ctrl+Shift+N to bring that up or close it. There’s more information in the article for how to find and use the IP address.) Once you have that, play the match until you disconnect. If you don’t, start the test over and repeat the process, getting the new IP each time you repeat it. Do this until you catch a DC, then post the test here.

If you have problems with posting it due to a link error, go ahead and copy paste this into your next post, and replace “WinMTR goes here” with your test.

~~~~
WinMTR goes here
~~~~

I’m not disconnecting at any time, I can hear everyone just fine and now i’m using push to talk, which works just fine and has no issues. But for me open mic with mute is easier and it doesn’t work. I stay in voice all the time and can hear others, but can only talk to them with push to talk and not with open mic.

Ah, okay! That explains a bit and narrows it down. Can you reset your keybinds from the in game keybinds menu (and in any third party software you use with keybinds), then re set them up? Usually when I see that problem, the key you’re using for mute/unmute is double bound somewhere either in your mouse/keyboard software or in the game client. If it stops working after that, try a different keybind for mute and see if that works.

Well it’s kinda weird since i am using Q for push to talk and mute/unmute open mic. So I’m using the same key, ofc i remove they keybind when i change from push to talk to open mic and vice versa.

WelliHousu,

You’re double binding the key to very similar functions. Can you set PTT to a different key to start and if that doesn’t work try what I mentioned above? This info is all diagnostic - it will help us narrow it down if it doesn’t fix it outright.

I’ve tried different keybinds with both ptt and open mic, but it still only does this for open mic. I still stay in the voicechannels in both but i just can’t unmute myself with open mic and it works fine in the menus and at the start of the round but then stops working later. sometimes it might work if i keep spamming the button to unmute but might get stuck on open mic after that…

Did you try the troubleshooting I mentioned above? We need that information to proceed further.