Mercy's "Dr. Ziegler" skin is inaccurate

I’m a current medical student and I just wanted to point out an inaccuracy about the new Mercy skin (despite being a really awesome concept). The coat that she’s wearing in the skin is that of a medical student, not a doctor, as it ends above the knees. Graduated physician coats always end below the knees. We actually use coat length to tell doctors and students apart in a hospital setting. Blizzard should change this… unless we’re playing as medical student Mercy (in which case she wouldn’t have the “DOCTOR” badge either).

52 Likes

Did you heal anyone as well?
I know I’m a monkey.

2 Likes

I mean, this is from a fictional timeline where things could be different.
Because the last time I checked, doctors also couldn’t bring back the dead on a whim. Nor do they have a magical healing staff or wear a suit that grants them the ability to fly/glide.

53 Likes

We also have to take into account that this is set in the future maybe things have changed or maybe Mercy just loves to wear this type of coat whos to know?

Always remember positivity is :key:
:ribbon::reminder_ribbon::ribbon:

And let the festivities begin :snowman_with_snow::christmas_tree::snowman:

10 Likes

It could also be that she’s working in basically an aid camp in Cairo it sounds like. Perhaps they don’t much care there about what’s actually proper. It would also be slightly cooler to be a bit shorter. OR in the fictional alternate reality that is Overwatch, doctors wear shorter coats XD

19 Likes

Or they hired people directly from rule 34.

7 Likes

If this is a reference, I’m afraid it went over my head.

Also also is this the same practice in Europe, where Mercy is from?

Also also also a long lab coat is not practical in many medical contexts; shorter coats are likely more practical in emergency care in the Egyptian desert than a below-the-knee coat

6 Likes

Well Mercy is also a combat medic I don’t think a long lab coat would be very fun :sweat_smile:

Forgot to mention this :sweat_smile:

Always remember positivity is :key:
:ribbon::reminder_ribbon::ribbon:

And let the festivities begin

3 Likes

Let’s just say that the skin has existed in a different part of internet for last two years.

3 Likes

It’s for gameplay reasons, as far as I can tell. Making the coat any longer would make Mercy’s silhouette too different.

Then again, her “Combat Medic” coat is much longer and doesn’t seem to have caused any problems…

5 Likes

I’m a doctor (not a student) and her coat is just fine.

3 Likes

“It’s the future bla bla bla.”
Then why does Moira have the right kind of coat then?
They exist, and used the right version for that character.

1 Like

There’s a talking gorilla and giant hamsters trying to kill each other… I think realism went out the window a long time ago.

3 Likes

Sshhhh… Let people enjoy things.

2 Likes

Been living in a psych ward for over 20 years, I have to say Mercy’s footwear is also different from any of the doctor I’ve seen, so I think those shoes are an inaccurate depiction of doctors too.

I do see them wearing wings, even the nurses, but they keep telling me it’s just my imagination.

11 Likes

"

Featured snippet from the web

You can think of a lab coat as growing with your experience. Medical school or Pre-med students typically wear a shorter length coat , (usually accompanied by uniform scrubs ) that hits at the waist, versus a doctor who normally wears a longer coat , hitting above or at the knee."

It sounds like it could just be your building as a lot of hospitals use her style length coat as that of a professional Dr and waist height as a student.

4 Likes

Well she’s not in a hospital setting, so it really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Hello, I’m a coat

1 Like

To be fair she’s also wearing some high tech boots and a device on her back that allows her to fly. Perhaps there are other concerns at work, like a longer coat getting caught in something.

Still an interesting factoid you’ve provided.

1 Like