Mercy not being "fun or (personally) unimpactful" is not a valid arguement

But being “disheartening” to play against was enough to rework her in the first place. Why it isn’t valid argument now.

35 Likes

mercy gets a whole movement but characters who actually need improvements (example: reaper) are forgotten

5 Likes

Yet mass resurrection being “unfun” to play against was a valid argument to remove it. :thinking:

Not being impactful is very valid argument, because character’s power lies in the impact. Nobody wants to simply get boosted by their team and not have any playmaking abilities of their own. Mercy doesn’t even get on fire anymore.

24 Likes

I mean I do. Sometimes. Atleast. I like her fire rate lower because I feel like I’m carrying when I get on fire. ya, know?

That wasn’t the main reason.
It encouraged a very toxic playstyle (no matter how much people deny it) that the developers wanted to remove.
(even though current Res has similar issues)

3 Likes

I agree about Valk being impactful. You might enjoy this post I just made. It has a lot of clips of me using Valk in just that way.

1 Like

Really? they didn’t said they reworked her because it encouraged playstyle that they didn’t like it right?

1 Like

by impactful I meant, people who claim she has no impact from their own expirence. When I think she has alot of impact still.

Overwatch is first and formost a game, if your game isnt FUN

then it dosnt matter if its balanced cause no one is going to play an unfun game

2 Likes

Quote from Vaneras from the Old Forums; “It was frustrating to play against and incentivized Mercy players to hide away from fights.” Baring in mind, frustrating to play against (that is, the argument of ‘fun’) is placed before an argument that was accepted by a vocal minority of the community at the time.

What measure do you think she is impactful by?

2 Likes

He is a community representative, not a developer.
Lets not go by the word of anyone but the developers themselves.

Do you think a Community Manager wrote that post up by himself without any input from anyone else on the development team?

2 Likes

It’s just the ability to heal the entire team without the worry of dying.When I valk I feel like I can keep everyone alive and I really feel a power decrease when valk ends. That’s why I think its impactful

So what he said invalidates an OFFICIAL developer video?
And no, I would imagine he didn’t, just like most other Blizzard employee’s giving different information (support staff are VERY guilty of this). They are very mixed up with opinions.

I’m not taking anyone seriously on balance changes unless its from a actual developer, who are qualified to talk about such things.

Also because he said frustrating first that means its the main reason? okay lol
All we can say is that is was ONE of MANY reasons.

its what i was trying to get at a few weeks ago: Mercy bottom line … itll never get anything changed because its simply not enough…people dont understand the difference between the unfun argument that was used to change her initially and the one we have now…but its a BIG difference

1 Like

When did I say it did? The words disheartening and frustrating to play against may as well be the same thing.

A community manager is just as much apart of the development team as any other person, and if you don’t believe that, then at least accept that the community manager probably didn’t even write what was posted and just copied and pasted something from an e-mail.

The placement of words in text indicate importance. If they seriously believed that hide and revive was the absolute main issue with it, they would have said exactly that. Saying that it was frustrating to play against first emphasizes that point moreso than the latter.

Using your own logic, can you give me quotes regarding why Mercy was reworked straight from a developer’s mouth that are not related to hiding and reviving or it being frustrating to play against?

2 Likes

I don’t think this was the only reason why she got reworked.

Let’s take a look at the balance triangle, shall we?
Balancing is based on these 3 points:

1. Playerbase impression.
  2. Developer impression.
  3. Hero stats.

Now let’s see how Mercy 1.0 (with mass rez) fits in this balance triangle.

1. Mass rez wasn’t liked by many players.
    We all have seen the threads back then. The majority seemed to dislike it. Mercy’s ult had no counterplay other than dealing with Mercy before she ulted. (This could’ve been easily fixed though.)
  2. The devs thought it promoted bad play, which it did. The hide and rez part of it. This is not how they wanted to see her played.
  3. Mercy wasn’t viable back then. Especially not after Ana’s release. I could be mistaken, but was she not even F-tier once before her rework?

And how does Mercy 2.0 fits in the balance triangle?

1. Players are divided about this. Some Mercy mains like her current kit and some don’t. One thing is for certain and that is that the majority of the playerbase doesn’t complain about Mercy’s ultimate anymore.
  2. The devs have stated that they are not going to revert and rework Mercy anymore. The amount of changes she has received proves that they are trying to make the current Mercy work. In interviews during the Blizzcon did multiple developers even stated that they are satisfied with the state of all support heroes.
  3. Her average healing is on par with other main healers and her pickrate is still healthy. It seems it’s better in low and mid ranks than in high ranks, but this could be blamed on the fact that Mercy isn’t meta.
1 Like

I have no idea what you mean by that.
In the developer video itself, Jeff says FIRST that a behaviour is encouraged by the design of the hero/ult, where you stop healing, tell your team to die, you hide and res. I can’t be bothered to quote it as he rambles a bit.
AFTER that he says its wrong to tell a MAIN HEALER to stop healing and go hide.
AFTER that he says its disheartening when Mercy ults.
He says more after that but I don’t want to watch it all again.

1 Like

Then this conversation is over, bye.

I picked out the main bit.
Whats the issue?
The rest of it is just talking about E Res and Valk.
You are putting too much emphasis on the disheartening to play against angle.

By your own logic, JEFF HIMSELF talks about the playstyle first, so that’s the main reason…right? or does a community manager trump him?
I’ll take Papa Jeff’s word over a random community manager.

1 Like