Mercy is viable honestly

I play QP only (since I mostly just do placements and forget about it) and other than the unlucky game here or there I have a great time!

I guess I just lower my expectations way down while still playing seriously. It helps!

I feel no shame in admitting my past sins. I assure you that the old me is long gone. Mercy is fine.

14 Likes

The ultimate, brutal, absolutely honest truth about Mercy. I agree.

6 Likes

What region do you play on? From my experience the EU region is just awful but I might just be unlucky.

I mean, this is a correct statement.

But she’s also extremely dull, with a playstyle of “hold one button, and don’t die” for 90% of the game.

Followed by “Let me stand here like a giant bullseye and see how dumb the enemy team is”

8 Likes

Nor should you

Welcome to the side of light and good, its great to have you with us :slight_smile:

We are seeing more and more folks stop believing what the anti-Mercy faction and/or the toxic and entitled reworkmercy/revertmercy (same thing, different packaging) is spewing and instead figuring out what Mercy is for themselves, and coming to a similar realization

That said, and while I too dont want any changes for Mercy, would you object to the following changes that I wouldnt see as significantly changing play for players currently happy with Mercy?

see: the dodo compromise rework

6 Likes

I will check the thread and leave a reply. I hope there is something that increases the skill ceiling of Mercy without making her OP

I play on NA.

Well playstyles vary. You can choose to play like that or you can play more aggressively and change things up. If there’s a will, there’s a way.
Sucks you find her dull though. Guess you can’t please everyone.

1 Like

I leave that for you to decide.

Some consider the BigMainLittleChains piece of it to be a nerf, though I personally do not

yeah that might help. I don’t think NA has as many language barriers as EU does.

1 Like

That’s true! Although most of my games are quiet…
Idk, EU’s a mess honestly

1 Like

I want to start by saying I agree that mercy is viable, but I don’t understand why people always say this cuz like why would you even try to play mercy in goats or a tank heavy comp? Mercy is never played in those comps and the people who say she doesn’t have enough healing or complain about her in general are mostly talking about in 2-2-2 comps. “It’s just not her meta” ok but I’m in plat and no one plays goats we all just play 2-2-2 and every time I’ve seen mercy played in my own experience and in streams I watch it’s never in a 3-3 comp (obviously) cuz it’s just like… not optimal and everyone knows that. No one is saying she is or should be a triple tank healer. She’ll never be amazing at healing tanks like ana and moira even if we buffed her healing to OP levels. But I personally feel that 50 hps isnt enough to sustain even two tanks throughout a match, and I think that when goats inevitably dies and the return of dps hopefully comes this issue will still be a problem that’ll become even more obvious when she’s played more. That doesn’t mean mercy isn’t viable, I still play her and have been climbing with her and I think she’s fun, but I do think it’s a problem personally, and I prefer to have an ana or moira by my side because of it rather than zen or lucio despite their ults. That’s just my opinion though.

6 Likes

She needs a revert

2 Likes

She needs no changes at all, in my opinion, with a revert being among the very worst possible changes for her

8 Likes

I still assert that her kit does a terrible job of creating any difference in kind or difference in scale.

7 Likes

with apologies, I dont understand the following phrase: “difference in kind or difference in scale”

1 Like

Those are two of the (I think main) ways game developers can engage their players.

Difference in scale is fairly straightforward. What that means is that something has gotten bigger in some way. There’s more enemies, the enemies get tougher, one of your abilities get stronger etc. An example from Overwatch would be Orisa using her supercharger. Nothing about how you use Orisa changes, but she gets +50% damage.

Difference in kind is less concrete. What that means is that the gameplay has shifted into something that feels different for the player. An obvious Overwatch example would be someone switching heroes. A less obvious one would be a Pharah player pushing Q, because she goes from being able to freely fly anywhere and having lowish DPS to having the highest DPS in the game and completely immobile.

If you are interested in listening to somebody who knows more about game design than I do explain it, here’s a youtube video.

1 Like

I, too, think Mercy is viable.

edit; I get the feeling this whole argument about Mercy’s balance is gonna be a meme on the us forums for a month.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it has been going on here approaching two years now…

4 Likes

This discussion seems to come up quite a lot.

Is Mercy fun to play? She certainly is for me.

Is Mercy viable? Depending on how you define the term, the answer is probably yes. She fits well in certain comps, and those comps work in certain occasions.

Is she balanced? Probably not quite yet. At least not in higher ranks on PC. She’s not far from it, but she’s not there yet. You can see this for instance from the very low pick rates compared to other healers in these ranks (diamond and above), and from what the meta is.

Does Mercy heal enough? Probably not. I’ll address this claim below to some extent, though I’m happy to elaborate on it. I also don’t place much stock in the claim that 60 hps Mercy would cause the healer class to be imbalanced and zero stock in the claim that 55 hps would do so. I do think both would be healthy for the game.

Let me preemptively address the common objections to the pick rate claim:
Objection 1: Mercy isn’t meta, and since the meta doesn’t favor her we don’t see her quite as much.

This objection is mostly backwards. The meta doesn’t favor Mercy because Mercy isn’t quite good enough to support a different meta. When Mercy is relatively strong, comps that play to her strengths are strong. When Mercy is relatively weak then so are comps that play to her strengths since they don’t have a good enough support to keep them going.

Right now Blizzard is buffing damge across many heroes in hopes of making the dps class strong enough to take on GOATS. Having a Mercy and Zen as your healers effectively increases the damage of a dps by 62.5%. That’s a MUCH larger buff than any of the ones currently being tested. But it only works when Mercy is able to use damage boost often, and when Mercy is able to keep people alive. Instead of buffing and nerfing the whole cast, it would be simpler to just make Mercy/Zen a viable healer comp.

Currently the Mercy/Zen healing combo is often not enough to keep everyone alive in a comp like that, and it’s certainly not sufficient for Mercy to give damage boost the focus it deserves. It’s also not enough to fend off dps comps’ main predator - Winston. Right now in OWL for instance, if one team goes dps heavy against GOATS, the GOATS team simply switches to Winston. A Mercy who can keep up with Winston’s damage would go a long way towards helping these comps.

Objection 2: High level players pick whatever is best, so we shouldn’t expect diversity at the top. While this is true to a certain extent, it’s not true to the extent it is right now. There have been numerous times in the game’s history where the support roster was much more balanced than it is now, and every single time we’ve seen the imbalances we see right now has resulted in support changes.

Mercy doesn’t need much right now to be the hero she’s supposed to be. She’s close to being balanced and she’s close to being the enabler she’s supposed to be. All she needs is a bit more healing, either directly or indirectly.

11 Likes