"Mercy is NOT that BAD!"

But… they are both in Masters now?

If even the very aggressive Mercys like Ani drop (or shotcallers like Eeveea), then the people who say “just play Mercy more aggo, go for kills yourself ~ change your playstyle, she still works in high ranks!” are not as convincing as it might have seemed at first.

4 Likes

Last Video, Ani was still in GM? She was always low GM/ brink of masters, might also have something to do by not playing with Buckle anymore.
Don’t get me wrong here, she is an insane Mercy, she just heavily relied on Buckle to make the calls for her (when she gets attacked etc.).

I agree with

That this is not the best advise. Especially when you are not used to playing her like this. It was nice to have different options on how to play her (agressive and passive) and it sucks that we have only 1 left.
Like I said, another reason is that the META currently is just not in Mercys favour. I remember S6-9 Rein and Zarya were absolut throw picks and everyone asked for buffs. All what happened was that Brig got introduced an Hanzo reworked and everything changed, now they are top tank picks all across ranks and platforms. Both Zarya and Rein rely on burst healing once their shield is gone or when they engage, the only healer capable of keeping up is Ana. With the insane buff to Nano, she is able to burst heal a tank 500hp (with nade) and give the dmg reduction over a certain period. Not even Moira can keep up.
I think alone that buff to Ana would’ve made her META, the Mercy nerf wasn’t needed.

I have high hopes for a META change with the upcoming Hog changes and potential buff to Orisa (fingers crossed) and Mercy (I think they will go with 55hp/s which might be the sweet middle spot). Mercy is good keeping these tanks alive and Anas anti-nade doesn’t provide much value if the Target has an Ability with 50%dmg reduction.
Even in DIVE Mercy was and still is the best healer out of the main 3. She can keep up (unlike Moira) and her heals don’t get blocked by shields (like both Ana and Moira). She works great in a setup with Winston/DVa or Hammond/Winston, with Zen as a 2nd healer and 2 flanker DPS.

EDIT:
Also Mercy being “bad” in high ranks only applies to PC. Mercy still is the best main healer on console. I don’t know how the distribution of players are between console and PC, but my guess is, that most actually play on console.

It seems like Ana does have a high skill ceiling, the better you get with her, the stronger she becomes. If you nerf her, she becomes throw pick in lower ranks and console. If you buff Mercy, she might be a good pick in diamond+ (only 13% of players), but horrendously OP in ranks bronze-plat (87% of players) and all across console.

I’d still much rather have a Mercy in most my games than a Moira, she just works better in most compositions. Why would I want a Moira when our team have Winston/D.va and a Genji/Doom. At least when we have Mercy we would get healed when she isn’t dead.

1 Like

The 900 IQ strats vid? Nope… she’s in Masters there.
But yea I guess she was always mid/low GM.

I can’t say I really disagree with the rest of your post in terms of it simply not being her meta, though it wasn’t nearly as hard to keep tanks up in the first tank meta (while Mass Rez was still a thing) as it is now imo.
I also hope they give her some love (make Valk an ult worth it’s ult charge please) in the new patch but I’m not counting on it tbh.

Ah and your edit- yea that’s what platform specific changes are for ~ like reduced damage from turrets.

Hit with a nerfbat, yeah with 14th times. She is not bad but now you’re basically a pocket healer. You have to decide who is the best player in your team, and keep him alive. Well this works as long as an Ana comes in and nade the hell out of your team. Rez is not that impact-full especially in mid fight. And why you are still can do work it’s far from not bad. And still no fun even if(big IF) mechanically balanced.

Ah I haven’t seen that she posted a new one, sorry for the confusion.

I guess it was a different time where Hog 1.0 and 400armor/4s DM DVa were still a thing. Even then, Ana outshone Mercy until she was nerfed into oblivion. Plus Lucio having an insanely big radius certainly helped too. We can’t compare those 2 metas at all, since a lot new heroes were added/ reworked.

I know it will come, sooner or later. Mercy is one of their icon heroes, many people main her.

As far as I know blizzard, they will only publish Hog changes. They are a small indie company, didn’t you know?

Like they implement them ever. They let Pharah run rampant on console since forever. She’s so OP there, it’s harder to aim with a joystick than with mouse.
They haven’t even done anything about M&K abusers yet. They have an unfair advantage over controler user.
The only balance change they ever did were the Turret damage.

I dont care what some youtuber who I have never heard of thinks. I can think for myself instead if following blindly in their footsteps.

Mercy needs work, or a new rework. She isnt good and this iteration is not fun or impactful

4 Likes

Well, it gladdens me to hear that you are capable of thinking for yourself. That’s a relatively uncommon skill around here, so congratulations.
However, it is always good to contrast your own opinion with others (Their status or method of presentation shouldn’t matter) to be able to keep an open mind and build on particular thoughts.

Also going to mention, nowhere in the video does Luminum say she is good. In fact, he says the opposite. The video is called “Mercy is not that bad” not “Mercy is good” after all.

1 Like

I know… I just wishful thinking on my part.
I’m not on console but I did recently try plugging my controller in just to try what it feels like- yeah never gonna leave training range like that tbh. Then again I just got my first controller as a gift for bad PC ports, maybe with time I could get used to it.

TLDR: I feel ya console players

1 Like

That shouldn’t be how balancing works, but whatever floats your hypocritical boat.

1 Like

She dropped to Masters since the nerf even though she’s one of the well-known aggressive Mercy’s. I really don’t think it’s an adapting issue. Mercy really is underpowered.

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽 :shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

1 Like

The core of playstyle of mercy is: Jumping between your targets using guardian angel while healing. You play Mercy in the same way as 1.0 and this mercy with exception of the REZ-MECH.

The larger scale problem is that support roles generally suck and nobody wants to play it. This isn’t just Overwatch.

Role-selected matchmaking hasn’t fixed things by much, either, because it just means you’re waiting for 2-5x longer if you aren’t support.

Actually, mercy was nerfed hard, but
A) For a reason (being most picked supp in the game after rework and outhealing heroes who focus only on healing with their abilities)
B) Not on one sledge-nerfing patch but on multiple. They are careful with nerfing heroes because we don’t want another reworkstion.

I would have hoped you had said the same thing when Mercy was op for 3 months.

I was not happy when Ana was garbage either, so I am in no way being hypocritical.

That was literally one of the reasons they gave, but ok. :joy: well the actual word used was “disheartening” but same thing, really.

I’ll tell you a secret. I am a Sombra main with over 250 hours on her. I am REALLY good with her (I’m diamond/masters on PC, was masters/GM on PS4). I finished season 9 with 64% winrate (21 hrs) and around 55% winrate S10 and 11. And yet I actually have a negative winrate this season. I’m at 48% with 13 hrs. What happened? Did I forget how to play Sombra? I don’t think so. Did she become worse? Hell no, she’s considered more powerful than she’s ever been. So what happened? Well, maybe I haven’t adapted to the current meta yet. Maybe I’ve been unlucky. Maybe it’s my friend’s fault (I’ve been playing exclusively with a friend who used to be much lower SR than me before we started playing together, but he isn’t always super cooperative, unfortunately). Who knows? Point is, I know how to play Sombra and yet I have a negative winrate on her. Is that really the hero’s fault?

When OP valk Mercy came out I had a negative winrate with her on her first season too. (I have around 200 hours on Mercy btw)

On a side note, I do think Mercy is slightly underpowered, I just don’t think she is a throw pick like some people claim. Imo, her main issue is the ridiculous amount of time it takes to charge valkyrie. Valkyrie is not a bad ult, but it’s definitely not good enough to justify its graviton surge levels of charge time. If she had valk as often as Moira has coalescence she’d be perfect. Decrease the charge requirements from 1950 to 1500 points.

The difference is Mercy is one of the most easiest heroes in the game. Adapting doesn’t take more than 2 months. Also, statistics also support the fact that she’s simply just underpowered and shoots through your claim that people just can’t adapt.

When the data of tens and thousands of players also follow the same trend, it’s clear that this isn’t just some adapting issue.

In my opinion, Valkyrie needs to go. It is a horrible ultimate that does too much and because of this, the stuff is provides is mediocre at best other than her flight. Titanium sums it up better than me. I encourage you to read his thread.

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positively and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.

To quote;

“We need to change the way we are playing Mercy”

As someone who has been in Masters/GM with Mercy (among other heroes), the advice he was giving was not advice I would give to players wanting to get better at Mercy currently.

The way you get better at these ranks is you simply don’t play Mercy unless there’s a Widow/Pharah to pocket, because in every other situation Ana is better.

1 Like