Mercy is Balanced but Boring!

Mercy is still a target, if anything the amount of “kill mercy! kill mercy before rez” is still quite a lot. By the way, super jump increased her ceiling, not lowered it, she’s considered “harder now” than before because she has to work a lot harder now than she did before.

1 Like

its not near as much as before because of the potential impact of mass rez she was 100% the first person the team would try to pick. Now people only try to focus her to stop her from rezzing her teammate (i.e someone with more impact than her literally regardless of who it is) or if the other healer is already dead. She’s basically ignored compared to how it was before

and there is no “working harder” with how her healing works. Working hard with mercy is simply staying alive and since she is focused less she doesnt need to work as hard. It’s not like with ana where you can land more shots or something

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say she’s ignored though i do agree she isn’t considered a threat like before, understandably, a hero rezzing the whole enemy team; undoing everything seems a bit insane and crazy… and kinda scary.

Don’t get me wrong, she’s still a top priority just not compared to before i see nothing wrong with that. Ana’s shots are inconsistent, completely different from mercy. Either way, you do have to work harder with mercy now, she doesn’t easily beat every support in healing like she used to.

2 Likes

yeah now she only beats zen in healing lol

1 Like

As far as i recall, she beats every support except bap and moira and she’s close to bap.

1 Like

You seem to be ignoring the huge change in playstyle and though process after the rework…

I’m not really keen on explaining something long so I’ll just link a thread that explains it better:

TL;DR: Basically what I said, her gameplay has changed. I don’t really know what you mean by mechanics besides just her ability to heal staying the same but I will say, her heals were modified and her heals are just 1/3 of her kit. If it’s GA you’re referring to instead, again, it’s just 1/3 of her kit.

This is really dumbing down the changes given to Mercy. It wasn’t simply just putting her ultimate on a CD. Significant changes were made to it. For example, it’s on a 30 second CD (longest in game), has a radius of 5 now, can be interrupted, has a 1.75CT and doesn’t grant invulnerability. All of the above will definitely affect the fun of playing Mercy.

Same for her heals. A 16.6% decrease in heals is huge, in the context of Mercy, as she only had 60 heals to begin with. Thus, 50HP is much more noticeable and the fact that you’re spending way more time healing a single target, mainly tanks, just overall makes her gameplay more bland.

Now, here’s the biggest thing that makes Mercy inherently different to Mass Res Mercy. Yes, it’s Valkyrie. The 15 second, glorified spectator mode where you either become a mediocre Orisa Ult or a temporary Moira (AoE heals). Once again, another thing that would drastically change the fun aspect of Mer,y.

Literally not what this is about. Otherwise, you wouldn’t see people complaining about current Mercy or also don’t want mass Res back. I for example am fine with letting mass Res go but am definitely not keen on current Mercy.

Ah yes. Her gameplay has definitely stayed the same. Besides of course her ultimate, her base kit and her new e ability. Other than that, sure everything else has stayed the same. :man_facepalming:t5:

Nope. I rarely even used mass Res for anything besides 2 man Resses. I found old Mercy fun because of the idea of getting rewarded for surviving. I always found the survival aspect of Mercy fun. That has irreversibly been tainted by Valkyrie which gives you training wheels for almost all your abilities.

4 Likes

idk when i play with a mercy on my team im only ever out healed when im on zen lol. I’ve seen others say the same thing. She heals more than zen and sits about on level with lucio and brig

She heals more than them on average. I outheal them all, i need to have gold healing as mercy or else i feel bad unless it’s a good moira :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

well idk, maybe its rank or maybe i just play with a lot of mercys that focus more on dps pocketing lol

Could be. As mercy i need to assert dominance haha, i better be the good support on the team.

Arguable really.

• Valk just simplifies your gameplay on a brain dead level. All of Mercy’s weaknesses are removed with this one ability.

• E Res is also pretty easy to do in comparison to old Res. This is mainly because of the thought process of both abilities. Simply speaking, you had to consider a lot of factors and overall think more to use Res before whereas now, it’s just a simple question of “when and where?”

• Superjump also makes her easier to play as it increases her survivability by a significant amount. Granted it also increases her skill ceiling since it’s not advertised in her kit; you have to learn it yourself but most people can do this after constantly using it. It’s really not that difficult.

2 Likes

This has not changed. Mercy is still a game of survival.

Training wheels how? Mercy as a character is considered training wheels. Valkyrie is just boosting the abilities or giving you a potential escape from death.

1 Like

Harder now because of how much she has to work so she can make an impact. Super jump also increased her ceiling. E-rez is not instant anymore and doesn’t give her invincibility while also reducing her movement and how fast she can pull it off, compared to before its a lot more riskier.

Also arguable. Now, Mercy isn’t really different from any other healer besides Resurrect but that ability is ridiculously situational. Also, as I’ve said before, it almost always depends on where that person died and when they died. In other words, you don’t need to focus on the Mercy if you can just camp her teammate’s body.

I still always shoot for gold with her. But she is weak compared to others and you have to sacrifice damage boost to get the golds.

I understood some mercy mains do enjoy her. Regardless of rez, she is fun if you like her movement. But that doesn’t equal impact. At hero select there just always seems to be a better option than her right now. In fact, its similar to pre-valk days where you run her only with pharah pretty much.

Back when she was f-tier, i always thought she was the best option. The mind games you got to play with the enemy to have a huge effect on the fight are just gone. Sure it was impactful, like many other ultimates are. But it had big consequences too for bad decision making.

7 Likes

That’s completely based on my observation. While the amount of “target mercy” has been reduced, she’s still a target because of how strong of an ability rez is. Lets say when the team kills an pharah, my team tends to shout "mercy is probably going to rez, a) kill her or b) camp the body, both being bad for mercy. Doesn’t change that she is still a target.

What are you on about? This has changed significantly following the introduction of Valkyrie and E Res. The former does everything for you and the latter punishes you for surviving long enough (by turning you into a stone).

Namely, the fact that it nullifies her one weakness, being single target heals, gives her insane mobility, gives her infinite ammo (like she even needs it) and makes GA’s range long AF.

And that has lowered since her rework, since her ult charge is lower than before and, again, she doesn’t have to think as much as before.

I’ve addressed this.

It’s only riskier if you’re trying to always pull of ridiculous resses. Besides that, it stayed the same. Once again, whether you get ressed or not depends on two questions:

• Where are you?
  • When did you die?

On the other hand, mass Res focuses you think about all this:

This proves my point really. Her being a priority target has changed after the rework. Before, she was constantly a target. This is because players could never be sure as to when she got her ultimate. Alternatively, now, she’s only a target if her teammate dies. This itself isn’t even that big of a deal because you were going to be a target nonetheless, if your teammate gets picked off. :man_shrugging:t4:

3 Likes

The longer she’s alive, the higher the beam uptime, which means she’s healing or boosting more. I can handily out-heal any other support hero on a regular basis, primarily because I spend less time re-spawning and getting back to the fight.

I certainly get chased after quite often, mastering the use of GA/SJ is very important here and not as easy as people like to think.

1 Like

Rez as an ultimate: Mercy had a huge target on her back, BUT being relentlessly hunted for the entire match felt like it was worth it when you had the survival skills and gamesense to make a critical rez despite the enemy’s best efforts to pin you down.

E Rez: It doesn’t matter what you do. If your ally dies out in the open and/or the enemy camps the body, you WILL get yourself killed if you go out there and stand still for nearly 2 seconds in front of the enemy.

4 Likes

Biggest issue is that it takes away her need to position and prioritize.

That’s why a lot call Valk braindead/spectator mode/training wheels.

I mean it’s alright, but it could be better.

Stronger main beam with weaker chains to keep prioritization a thing. Shorten the beam length so positioning is still essential-two things I see and hear a lot.

Pulling from Niandra, my personal fave Mercy player, had made suggestions of:

• cool down resets or possibly an addition rez charge or minor changes to rez in valk

• or possibly some CC reduction affect with the Valk chains

• or even just the chance to cancel Valk early since with how long it lasts longer than a lot of pushes/holds.

Just something to give some sort of agency/prioritization when using Valk.

Again, her (Niandra) and myself agree that it’s fine as is, but given the chance to tweak it would be refreshing. It’s just not needed right now with how Mercy sorta seems fall into comps nowadays.

1 Like