Mercy got nerfed so much, because Blizzard needed to have some form of measurement stick

Right now with this current Ashe patch, Mercy feels MUCH better to play than before and thats good. I know i’m gonna get some people here that are skeptic.Mercy feels “Okay” but not “Meh” anymore which is great, now if she could just feel “Great” WITHOUT BEING OVER POWERED, that would be awesome!

As much as i like youtubers that talk about Mercy, i can’t help but feel bad for the team that has to work on Mercy’s balancing.

My theory is that Blizzard didn’t know how powerful mercy should be without nerfing her and seeing the real world outcome. Whether you like it or not the overwatch team know what they are doing. The Overwatch team is much bigger than before so we have to offer them our patience.They aren’t trying to make mercy useless but useful AT FIRST. The key word being at first, and THEN they will try to buff her just like they did on this live Ashe update. My theory that blizzard is doing that in order for a hero to be balanced you need for them to be balanced first then they will try to see what they can “add” to her for her to be fun BUT still balanced.

I suppose you can think of it like having a solid base to a structure and then you put the walls and such with fancy decor after that the base is solid.

9 Likes

They absolutely do NOT know what they are doing which is why they keep flip flopping. Hog is an assassin. Hog is a tank. Hog is an assassin. 50 HPS, 60 HPS, 50 HPS. McCree should not have fall-off. Yes he should. Wait, no, nevermind. Constant reverts. 2 Symmetra reworks that both failed to address ANY issue. Nah, do not come at me with that nonsense. They are lost, fam.

76 Likes

Blizzard is pretty desperate to keep OW going since #youguyshavephonesright. They need a new flagship game out.

7 Likes

Well… In my opinion, I think it’s a bit simpler than that. I believe the reason why Mercy got nerfed so much, is due to the fact that she was given a rework that no one asked for, which was made OP for an extended period of time unchecked. One of the devs even admits that they “probably waited a bit too long with balancing the rework,” proving how delayed their response was to the situation.

The rework itself was (and still is) shrouded in controversy. There is evidence that proves that it was done based on the subjective claim of “It’s unfun to play against” which, what we know now, is a horrible way to balance a hero.

My take on it is that after all of the sledgehammer nerfs, they are now throwing random changes to Mercy, and hoping something sticks. While I think that it’s good to have incremental changes, I believe they could have done this from the start with Mass res, and simply given it LOS, damage reduction, and cast time tweaks to allow for more consistent counter-play. The rework was completely unnecessary to me, since she is now roughly around the same, balance-wise, as she was back in 1.0 (in terms of win-rates at least), while lacking in the engaging, rewarding, and impact department… I feel like them rushing in with it has caused more problems with the hero than solved them, not just for Mercy mains, but for everyone involved - Especially during the moth meta. My 2 cents. :blush:

“This was a huge success.™”

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

22 Likes

Arguable.

Off tanks have always had high damage. Hog was originally designed to be an assassin from the start, then the dev team catered to the casuals who were upset about being caught out of position and punished for it. They balanced accordingly to appease the majority of both the outrage.

50 when Ana was broken with 100% healing on nade. that’s gone. Mercy then got average healing increased with chain beams, completely outshining Ana in terms of healing average in high elo. Now Mercy still has chain beams, has a relatively decent healing average per game and is balanced around the other main healers.

LOL. McCree have less punishing fall off does not mean he doens’t have fall off.

Arguable.

irony.

2 Likes

None of them have his burst… nothing even close. Oh, yes, right in the center of my team nearly 20 meters away is totally out of position.

I am thinking my point went over your head. There is no coherence to what Blizzard is doing which is why they JUST backed off an egregious Doom change and are now creating an exception for Brigitte arbitrarily.

Huh? He had literally no fall-off, and now he does.

Okay, which issue was solved? Argue on, buddy.

Nothing is ironic about it. You are just mad.

5 Likes

I mean don’t take me literally, Blizzard is a smart company but they can’t do things without SOME feedback. They do know what they are doing but they do require feedback.

2 Likes

Agreed, and there has been loads (literal thousands of posts worth) of feedback in the Mercy megathreads and accompanying that talks about why the rework needs to be looked at, and offers a multitude of solutions. Many other threads have been made as well, and one of the top threads in this very forum is a Mercy feedback thread even (Titanium’s). Regardless, they were all ignored and most of the time, closed, without a response.

There isn’t any shortage of feedback when it comes to Mercy, trust me, but is ignoring and closing threads that offer feedback, telling of someone who is open to it or feels like they need it? Eh… Probably not. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

8 Likes

Another theory is Blizzard is trying to find a sweet spot and i know it looks like a lot of back and fourth, or they are just trying to make things interesting without the game feeling stale.

2 Likes

Because damage doesn’t always mean burst. Zarya is sustained. D.va is a mix of both.

If you’re not behind a barrier leaving yourself open to it, yeah you deserve it.

No, your point didn’t get off the ground to start with.

Apparently trying new balancing things to make each individual hero feel both fun to play as and against is bad now. Seems more like a community problem for complaining about it.

He has always had falloff. Unless you’re talking about some obscure beta patch, which even then I’m almost positive he had falloff during.

She’s viable, and works on many more points than the 1st point 2cp she was used for prior.

You sure, you seem pretty lost.

And this just confirms you lost.

1 Like

Thats not what were talking about.

I agree with you that off tanks should have higher damage output than main tanks.

But let’s not pretend that Roadhog got nerfed because of complaints. He could one shot his hard counters and even other tanks.

The “out of position” argument is a weak argument imo seeing how Roadhog could pull enemies out of position and Insta killed them. A tank with a high healthpool and self healing should not be able to oneshot the majority of the character roster, tanks included.

1 Like

Roadhog doesn’t have hard counters. There is not one hero in the game that would force a switch from roadhog, and I don’t think there ever has been. The closest would be Ana’s bionade and Ana is far from a hard counter when it comes to hog.

He never could 1shot tanks. In fact Hog was played during triple tank specifically so he could drag enemy tanks into your side and burst them down with rein, hog and zarya + anti.

If you got hooked, you were in line of sight for hook to go through, knowing what you were up against. That is literally what it means to be out of position.

Blizzard put the changes on the PTR before they hit live and they also have internal testing. Blizzard also has stat monitoring.

The combination should be sufficient that while you will be wrong from time to time you would be right most of the time.

Here’s an example from the past:

On Sept 19th 2017 the Mercy Rework came out and here’s a stat piece from the community that came out three days later.

http://www.omnicmeta.com/2017/09/patch-115-analysis-mercy-reviving.html

A fan site with limited data access can tell you’ve got issues in three days. How on earth did Blizzard’s stats miss it when it was on the PTR for weeks? They had likely around 10,000 comments before it hit live. They’ve got a fairly large team so internal testing could also have provided data.

Blizzard may be smart overall but, the balance team isn’t and their mistakes are dragging the rest of the company down.

14 Likes

100%
:waning_crescent_moon:

1 Like

Off-tanks should not one-shot half the cast. It is terrible balance. And someone that cannot argue without resorting to fallacies is not going to convince me otherwise, fam.

I suppose; however, that is just ridiculous. If I am trying to counter him with Reaper “out of position,” he walks behind our team, “out of position.” Like, whatever, bruh, you know it is garbage and it is definitely going to have the same result it did last time, at least once Blizzard is done with him.

You are like the only person who did not get my point and it is probably because you were triggered halfway through reading it.

Which one? Because they dropped one idea and the other is up in the air. There is literally a contradiction there because you so vehemently and blindly want to defend Blizzard. Checkmate, son.

Lol… okay, whatever you say. McCreery has ALWAYS had fall-off. Rofl.

You have a weird definition of viable; however, I will accept it. Still sad it took them twice to get it right, especially with the whole Mercy rework bringing us back to square one… huh? Or, is that just like my fantasy? Ha ha ha…

2 Likes

See this I can agree with. There are clearly balance issues that make it onto ptr that never get addressed until they hit live. Bastion and Hanzo are other great examples of that.

The thing with that though, blizzard has made it pretty clear ptr isn’t being used for balancing. Which is unfortunate because the community catches a lot of things early on, but i’m pretty sure they’ve gone on record saying they use it for bug testing only. cant really be bothered to find the quote though so don’t quote me on that.

Yeahh… I used to believe it too… but one day I suddenly opened my eyes and realized that balance team has no clue what they are doing.

1 Like

Eh, whatever tou think of the devs, they now know what the breaking point of Mercy is, all they need to do is sit down and thinker what the hell they want Mercy to be and how to archieve it without breaking her again.

2 Likes

I literally said it… um. Me?

A straw man, namely. Vague ad hominem attacks, which are my personal favorite. If you are such an expert, you can go back and find them. I honestly do not care as I was ironically just attacking your character. I am not really expecting you to adress my arguments with any degree of logic if you default to “you were out of position” without knowing any of the circumstances.

It is my issue, which is why I presented it as a problem I had? Like, I am not even trying to be sarcastic, is something the matter? I am well aware that my opinion is mine. Like, what are you trying to do, seriously? It is weirding me out. Do you think you are being spicy or something? I digress, yes, being an ultimate battery is overrated as so few of them provide value outside of support ultimates, namely, that benefit Hog being a battery. I am sure everyone will catch up to my logic soon enough, you heard it here first champ, most ultimates are not worth worrying about and you can play Hog safetly. Remember me once it becomes the norm, k?

Criticism is not being triggered. Randomly implying that I am delusional because I stated something you did not agree with, I feel a reasonable person might assume I got under your skin.

That face when reading comprehension though. That self pwn would have been more impactful if you caught your mistake. Not going to lie, I am a bit bummed.

I honestly have no idea what pigeon chess is; however, I bet it is pretty sick compared to normal chess if I am being compared to it.

Fam… oh, the irony. Ugh. McCree did not always have fall-off. There is my secret. I was being sarcastic, not misrepresenting your argument. I thought you were supposed to be good at these. Was it because I accused you of using a fallacy, you started projecting after that? Wow, I am good.

I am not surprised.

Are you tired, is that why you, yet again, missed the point?

That would honestly be a sick burn if you were addressing my points more so than me, myself.

1 Like