Mercy 3.0 Rework [UPDATED - FEEDBACK WELCOME]

That’s fine. If numbers are too quick, they can simply be tweaked. With the fact that some people already think that 1.75s that she has now is “way too long”, I figure I propose a solution that meets half way.

To be more specific though, my idea of a dynamic cast time (or res), is that each amount of team mates to bring back has a different cast time, with larger resses taking longer than shorter ones. The number values themselves could be whatever is generally seen as the middle ground in terms of cast times So as an example, perhaps the following casts would be more suitable:

1 person = 1.25s cast time to bring back
2 people = 1.45s cast time to bring back
3 people = 1.65s cast time to bring back
4 people = 1.85s cast time to bring back
5 people = 2.15s cast time to bring back

Of course, this is a solution for a LOS res that happens all in one burst, rather than individual or a “wave” of people coming up. But eh, just thought I offer an alternative suggestion for you there in terms of res. :blush:

Also for the Ult cancelling for Mercy, thanks! I understand if you don’t like the complete reset. My take on it is to address another issue many people have with Mercy in terms of counter-play and playing against her, in that having her be killed before she resses, respawn, and attempt to pull off res once more - which is understandably pretty frustrating. My idea there would be to have the ult reset to kind of “stalemate” resses that are unsuccessful, and punish bad resses, verses just handing out a second chance if they messed up a res the first time. I believe this encourages Mercy players to be more deliberate in their resses, rather than trying to spam a res, cancel it, try again on another soul, cancel it, go to the first one and try to res, cancels it, etc. all the while the enemy is chasing them around the map trying to kill her, lol.

Another idea for that which may work better for your proposed kit and individual resses, is to make it so she CAN attempt again for another res if she cancels, but the first soul she tried and failed to res is expired and can no longer be “re-ressed”. So in theory, if a Mercy player has 3 souls, tries the first one, and fails, She can only res & cancel on each soul once, and MUST go to a new soul and try to res that person, instead of jumping back and fourth indefinitely to the same soul(s) and trying to res/cancel until they expire via the respawn timer, or until Mercy is killed, if that makes sense.

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

Fair enough.

Then i would prefer a 18s cd max

I like this concept, but I have a few questions.

• Can Mercy still heal/dmg boost during res?
  • Is the ult cancellable?
  • Does the ult only go in a cone direction or is it a circle around her like 1.0?
  • Can the ult be cast during Valkyrie?
  • Is Valk cancellable?
  • If Mercy lost LOS to her teammates while ressing, like moved behind a wall during the res, would it cancel? (Similar to how res works now, where you can quickly peek around a corner and press E and then go back behind the wall)
  • Will boops cancel the ult?

aaahhh i understand now!
i thought you meant that for every hero resurrected, a cast time for the next hero would be +0.2 for example:
1st player = 1.25s cast time to bring back
2nd player = 1.45s cast time to bring back
3rd player = 1.65s cast time to bring back
4th player = 1.85s cast time to bring back
5th player = 2.15s cast time to bring back
a res time of 8.25 seconds if you combine it (which sounded weird to me)

but how do you know if a resurrect has failed before it has been used?

i though that if you had 5 teammates down (in the situation of my mass-res suggestion)
you would be able to cancel your ult after you resurrected 3 out of 5 for example.

1 - no it will behave almost the same as it does now
2 - i didn’t write it down in the original post but i will add this soon! [ADDED IT TO Q&A]
3 - i’d say in a cone because i don’t really see myself standing in the middle of an open space waiting to be killed.
4 - very interesting question! i’d say yes!
5 - valk is an ability and can not be cancelled
6 - the res would cancel
7 - boops won’t (but will have the potential to cancel if she gets booped around a corner and loses sight over the downed teammates)

1 Like

Easy, Mercy would still be vulnerable to CC. That means that even with 5 teammates down, she is still susceptible to getting shield bashed, slept, booped, etc. which would cancel her res before it completes, similar to how it can be cancelled now by the enemy team.

The Cancel Option would appear as it would, similarly to McCree. The difference there though, is that instead of it simply cancelling and expiring that ult, it would also boost Mercy in whatever direction she’s facing. :slight_smile:

Now that I’m thinking about it, to better control this and to add even more skill / complexity, a QOL change could be to allow her to be able to hold the boost in as long as the cancel button is pressed, which then launches her forward once it’s released, similar to Doomfist’s rocket punch. Maybe as a little perk, rez cancels that are held for each second, would get an additional 10 meter boost when released that is added to their initial 20 meters. So for an example:

Rez Cancel (pressed instead of being held) = Mercy is launched 20 meters
Rez Cancel (held for 1 second) = Mercy is launched 30 meters
Rez Cancel (held for 2 seconds) = Mercy is launched 40 meters
Rez Cancel (held for 3 seconds) = Mercy is launched 50 meters

I think this would be pretty fun as a compliment to Mercy’s bunny hop ability, allowing for her to capitalize on even greater movement opportunities, and rewarding better Mercy players for riskier rez cancels. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

1 Like

this would work for your dynamic-res suggestion,
but will it be effective?
It sounds like you are basically staggering yourself as mercy so i doubt this would be a good solution or QoL change.

i also think it would be unfair towards other heroes like mccree for example!
he doesn’t have options like this so it would be unlikely to happen.

That’s fine, as I said, just a suggestion :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

1 Like

Honestly, I love the way you wrote it all out; the visual is a nice touch. Points for creativity, but honestly, I don’t really like this version of Mercy.

Her Caduceus Staff changes are fine, totally agree with that.

Valk on E? Personally, I’ve had enough of Ults going to E slots. I don’t really like the idea of long-cooldown really good abilities, either. Mercy has enough mobility as it is, so I think she should get a new utility ability (I’ve always loved the idea of incorporating her old invulnerability into an E, like an AoE Zarya bubble).

Resurrect as an ultimate I still think isn’t a great idea. I used to be a Mercy main during her Mass Rez days, but still, Resurrect, as an ability, is flawed design. On a regular ability, it forgives poor positioning, negates good picks, and makes Pharmacy a living hell. As an ultimate, it makes it so the healer is rewarded for letting their team die - not healing them, or not healing them well enough. This is counterintuitive. It’s like if a DPS ultimate worked best when the enemy was at full-health, so you were rewarded for NOT doing damage. As a damage hero.

Also, Mass Rez wasn’t OP. It took 4 buffs to make it good enough. Then Ana had to be gutted so that Mercy, the only other main healer at the time, could be the best. So if an instantaneous, team-wide Resurrect was only just good enough, then a version of it that’s monumentally slower and weaker wouldn’t be enough either.

1 Like

Healing
I believe Mercy’s 50HPS should be the target for other healers to be aligned around to help bring the power creep back down.

Resurrect
Just going ahead with a full copy paste of Mccree’s Dead Eye to Mercy Resurrect could be really awesome and easier to implement.

E - Valkyrie
Flight
I have lost liking for “Powerup” abilities that make the hero feel lacking when not in that state like Torbjorn does. Valkyrie should just enable flight and perhaps other ideas.

Although present day Mercy feels pretty alright, I do think this topic’s idea and the sea of other Mercy ideas are great to consider. I sorta wish other heroes had a really good sit down and listed how to make any and all heroes more awesome.

1 Like

I’m curious, can Mercy heal/damage boost while Ulting? Also, can she use her ult during her Valkyrie ability? Sorry if you already answered this elsewhere, I am too tired to read through all the responses.

The only reason Mercy has 50 HPS right now is because her E ability, Ressurect, is too strong of utility to warrant having strong heals as well. If her only E ability was Valkyrie (flight + any other added bonus like chain beams), she would need 60 HPS, or at least 55 HPS, to be viable. Flight alone isn’t enough utility to warrant such low heals as 50 HPS. Moira has 80 AOE HPS + a 50 HoT on her left click to make up for her lack of utility.

1 Like

I love this! It’s mass rezz, but at the same time not. With LoS and a cast Time. Thank you OP!!

I feel like it’s another dead teammate that shows that you can’t be rezzed outside of the cone

I think these changes as are would be really really bad power wise. Mercy got invul BECAUSE she would be killed when doing the ult causing a tonne of suicide rezzes. She was a troll pick because of it.

She was already too weak with an instant cast time. LOS is good but cast should remain instant and she needs something, to give her at least a chance to not instantly die after rezing and making your team one main healer down.

All that said I’d take it in a heartbeat if it meant mass rez coming back

2 Likes

This is so GREAT! I say bravo, This adds a sort of McCree using dead eye danger to Mercy as she has to channel and be out in the open to use it! It will allow mercy to do everything a McCree ult can do in reverse! Including game saving ults!

OMG SERIOUSLY I’M LOVING THIS IDEA SO MUCH!!!

2 Likes

I should point out that mass rez charged based on healing done and you really didn’t want to waste it. Keeping track of the ult economy was vital. So it heavily heavily encouraged you to heal. Mas rez was a backup for when the healing failed. But the more you healed the less you had to rez.

2 Likes

Zero Eh? I guess you didn’t read the zillions of posts and threads by Mercy players over the past year and a few months. Or saw the survey.

As for the fun thing… That was literally why the devs said they got rid of mass rez. They didn’t think it was fun.

Well most of the support community and plenty of the others want Valk gone and of those mass rez is the most popular replacement. It should come back.

Still they could leave Valk in and let queue times continue to grow because the reason people want it back is the fun factor. Who’d have thought people not having fun would be important in a game :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

You say that dmg boost will be single target while on E valk, so why would you even suggest a trash chainheal?
You present a counterplay to every step of the ult with the parameters you put there such as cast time, LoS, movement reduced. Not to mention that rez will behave in a certain way by itself which in many cases might not be optimal/you take away the decision making of the player. Why would I rez the trash overextending Genji first when I can instead choose to rez the tryharding Reinhardt?
Cast time is extremely high and it guarantees that every rez atempt will be a 2 or 3 man rez at best, preventing the possibility of huge saves.
Canceling the rez is a trash idea. You either commit the ult and you get its result or you don’t. People already rezed will be free ult charge for the enemy team if you decide that the situation isn’t worth it after all. It’s better if only the mercy dies while attempting something than somewhat attempting something and then 2 rezed people die, in addition to the mercy, for example.

Your idea, overall, is trash and overnerfed. I’m actually amazed there are people agreeing with you but then again an extreme amount of the playerbase has maxed out at plat or below.

cant wait to see how fast the mods lock this chat, you cant mention mercy without “injuring the devs delicate constitutions”