Mercy 1 Year Later | Was a Rework Really Necessary?

Statistically, so was Winston during dive. :woman_shrugging: Less picked than Rein with a <50% WR as I recall.

1 Like

We’re talking bout’ supports here. :stuck_out_tongue:

What makes it different

I don’t think it was successful, and i’d say the same for every rework thus far except for D.Va’s. We need a revert, but with some tweaks.

5 Likes

I’m going to pretend like you didn’t just say that.

1 Like

And at that time there was about the same number of tanks as healers. The same amount of main tanks as main healers (Winston Rein Orisa, Mercy Ana Moira). Both are mandatory for a comp unless you run a niche double off healer comp.
Edit: My point is that we can’t look at these things in a vacuum.

2 Likes

I still play her in competitive, in fact I play her every day pretty much ha. I still think she is very fun. :sunny:

1 Like

This doesn’t change a thing… It’s been a month and she’s still underpowered according to statistics. I’m always going to go by evidence.

1 Like

Thanks for offering your view on the matter! I still play her as my main healer in competitive as well, so we share that in common. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
a Lover of True, Fair, and Fun Balance.
xavvypls
:blue_heart:

Hmm, Mercy wasn’t fun to play before the rework and she isn’t fun to play now. Reliable and consistent just don’t mix with fun.

However Mass rez was also not fun to play against and I think that matters more.

Was her rework a failure? Definitely not. Was it a complete success? Hell no.

Has anybody ever made an anology between Mercy and Soldier? Just out of curiosity.

1 Like

And the devs go by three things:
-Stats (which we don’t actually have access to the accurate ones without their disclosure. Overbuff is an educated guessing game, but still a guessing game).
-Feedback (Which there’s been a lot of on both sides. Some of which is highly vitriolic. For instance, I don’t feel too much of a difference playing Mercy that I feel like I have to play her as an off-healer or can’t do my job. But what do I know, she’s only my second most-played hero :woman_shrugging:)
-Their own feelings (which we know from statements. So far the statements point to them feeling that this iteration just has to have numbers tuning, but maybe tomorrow’s dev update will change things)

3 Likes

Pretty sure the rework is a balancing nightmare which says quite a lot. It’s flawed on a fundamental design level.

3 Likes

I’d say Mercy’s design in general is flawed. From basic kit to ultimate. Pre and post rework.

2 Likes

imo it’s not toxic. But you also fail to realize that the reason Mercy’s Mass Rez is gone is because it was over-centralizing.

Kill Mercy first or else all your effort will be erased.
Pray to many gods to survive a constant 6v1 for being Mercy.
If the enemy has a Mercy, your team needs a Mercy or it’s an uphill battle.

What’s worse is it promoted counter-intuitive gameplay. Hide and Rez, otherwise known as “if you have Rez, hide for 10-30 seconds. So, like, stop playing the game/healing us for 10-30 seconds and stare at a wall. Also if you don’t hide you’re literally throwing and we’ll all report you. KTHNX! :heart:

An infinite heal/fly-to-target medic should have her beam on as much as possible, that’s her role, that’s her intended gameplay. Zwoop in and out to heal as much as possible. Not stare at a wall for 10-30 seconds, 20m+ away from point, and say “TEEHEE, I’M REALLY USEFUL!” when the opportunity to get a 5man Rez arises.

3 Likes

These two points alone are going against.

If fun is a factor… she should get changed/reverted because now she’s pretty unfun for A LOT of people
If fun is not a factor and Mass Rez was “Bad because Unfun”, the only right and consitent thing to do would be Reverting her as there would have never been a reason for the Rework in the first place since Unfun is not one.

4 Likes

The dev update is tomorrow? You don’t happen to have the source of that do you? (I couldn’t find a link anywhere…)

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

No, I saw it on a topic here.

But it’s an educated guess, considering tomorrow is their usual patch day and the dev update is almost definitely regarding that PTR patch.

1 Like

She needs another rework. How she is now is worse than before

2 Likes

Ah, I see. I’ll check back tomorrow I guess. :blush:

~Sincerely Yours xoxo,
xavvypls

I wouldn’t say that. I don’t think the basic design of being a consistent healer is unfun for instance. I love medic in TF2 and I love playing pure healer roles (as well as other support / tank roles) in various RPGs.

I do think a lot of her issues stem from rez. To a lesser extent (and probably unpopular opinion) I don’t think damage boost should have ever been a thing.