[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

I did an edited thread of the “I am a girl and i main Mercy” thread. Then i’ve got a 3 days suspension.

Was it meant as a parody?

It would be strange if you’d get suspended for a parody thread, but the moderators could see it as toxic behavior and attacking a group of players.

It’s a shame that you got suspended, because now your trust level has been reset.

1 Like

Yes, it was completely ironic, but i’ve got reported.

http://red-rose.com/forum-trust-level/?bnetId=Str1kernaut%232514
If i check here it still level 2, strange
BTW seems i can’t link anymore

It has probably been reset.

You should be level 3 soon enough if you browse through enough threads, give plenty up votes and receive plenty upvotes.

I discovered a Mei bug on the new Busan map. In one of those maps is there a massive drum in the center of the checkpoint. This drum is pretty big and can block the LoS of Mei’s ultimate, even if you threw it on top. But if you throw it in the right angle at the bottom can it freeze everyone on the checkpoint.

(The Busan map isn’t exactly a great map for Mei btw.)

1 Like

Pretty strange thing, i hope it gets fixed

This means if i throw the ultimate under the drum is freezes everyone on point?

Yes.

I have made a new thread about Mei bugs with video proof and I have added this bug as well:

1 Like

Good, i will promote your thread as well

Mei sure has a lot of bugs. The ones I’ve noticed the most are being killed/stunned while in ice block, and sometimes her reload begins but doesn’t finish

1 Like

I heard Mei if gets stunned while reloading and her weapon jams (icicles seems to don’t register hit) and needs 20 seconds to work again. IDK if this is true or not, i don’ remeber correctly the bug how worked. Anyway the cryofreeze and ultimate bugs are the most frequent.

Btw i will update the thread soon, after getting discharged from the hospital

1 Like

Does anyone else here play on console, and if so, are they having trouble playing Mei since the last patch? I have noticed with the new aim adjustments on console, I really can’t aim with Mei anymore, and I’m struggling to hit anything. I have heard you can turn the new ‘aim assist ease in’ off, and that having it on low works best for projectiles, however, even when turning it off, the aim feels off. I guess it feels kinda slippy and awkward. I can’t really describe it, but even with it off I’m underperforming with Mei, hugely. I can’t seem to get as smooth an aim as I had prior to the update. The option is great for hitscan heroes, but I’m sad to say I haven’t enjoyed a single match as Mei since the update.

Also, I hope you are feeling better now Str1ker, I haven’t been active on the forums as of late so didn’t realise you was in the hospital.

1 Like

I could reccomend you to try the PSA method described by ioStux, but instead you start with a 50/50 sensibility. Then you pick a sheet, a calculator and you do your calcs.

About the operation i feel better, it wasn’t really that terrible as i expected (i was kinda scared of anestesy, but i didn’t felt nothing for the whole operation), i have only a 2cm wound in my b side, and i get the wound cleaned and applied a new band aid every day_
I have been inactive too because i started school again and i’ve got a DFI LanParty NF4 Ultra-D to mess with around.

BTW the new graphical effects for Mei in PTR are gorgeus and feel more like ice and snow instead of a mysterious gas, also the ultimate shows the effective sphere radius

1 Like

I even feel like the tracer for her alt-fire is a lot easier to track… Or it could be the same and I’m loony. :slight_smile:

Also, wonder why don’t do have more sphere radius for other attacks that do area effects or splash damage.

1 Like

There is a thing that kinda bothers me as you read in the OP. I feel Mei is kinda balanced and underpowered at the same time, like she could have something more apart bug fixes. Because IDK if the GOATS comp combined to Mei’s bugs prevents her to perform well or she lacks something.
Also i wrote about the cast time and seems to be 0.8 seconds (tested on Aim Hero), and i wonder if the cast time of icicles should be lower

I’ll go one step further and post controversial opinion: depending on situation, i feel Mei is either balanced, underpowered, or very strong.

On bad day, i feel like Mei is still one of the weaker DPS heroes, but on good day, i can just click enemies on head consistently from across the map. And that’s just icicles i’m talking about.

Obviously i want to buff her, but i’m scared to think where that could lead. I honestly feel like it’s just better to leave Mei exactly where she is to avoid trouble. I don’t want them to buff Mei just to make her too good and then potentially nerf her back to where we started.

1 Like

I just have conflicting feelings about this.

1 Like

She is balanced offensively, so that’s why she feels balanced.

However, defensively, her kit is just easy to disrespect and it’s actually pretty bad. That’s why she feels underpowered.

She’s a weird off-tank, semi-DPS character with slow/freeze CC. She’s effective when she’s going all out with her CC/damage. But when she’s using the defensive half of her kit, it only feels useful/good when used to cut off choke-points or block damage.

tbh all they have to do is apply a Slow AoE/light DPS around her Cryofreeze and Ice Wall. This way it has to be respected, but it’s not breaking the game. The AoE could be a lvl 1 slow and 10dps. The AoEs don’t stack and the status infliction lasts 0.5 second after the enemy leaves the AoE.

Ice Wall = 3m AoE around it and if 1 of the pillars are broken the AoE goes away.

Cryofreeze = 6m AoE around it.

Another thing I’d like if for Cryofreeze to stop sucking. It blocks damage, yes, but it is best used in small 1-2 second bursts because any longer and Mei’s team is left to fight a 5v6 for too long (4 seconds of 5v6 is mighty bad). So condensing the hps into a 2 second duration and cutting 2 seconds off the cooldown would be lovely.

The other option is to allow her to slowly reload while in there for the 4 seconds, something small like 25-35 ammo per second. Or increase the healing to be 50hps to 60hps so she can use it for shorter durations and still get some value out of the secondary effect.

2 Likes

Personally i would tweak the cooldowns for wall and cryofreeze, so if they aren’t used for the whole duration they get a cooldown reduction and they’re more present.
About the ice wall IDK if one pillar or half second more would make a difference.
For the cryofreeze i think a partial reload would buff the offensive part of her kit, idk if a reduced cooldown (10 seconds) would be a good idea.
I remember from Yeti Hunt event Mei had a faster cryofreeze (2 seconds but faster healing), but i don’t know how would impact her, because she losts a stalling ability but she’s more present in fights

1 Like

All in all, stalling is great but there are many forms of stalling. Other Heroes can also stall, not as well as Mei in Cryofreeze since it’s a solid 4 seconds uninterrupted, but decently enough to get the job done. Mei on the other hand sets herself up to be easily ambushed/head shot when she’s in Cryofreeze and if her allies are out fighting she leaves them to fend for themselves.

It’s less about keeping her stalling niche and more about letting Cryofreeze get maximum value in most situations… While also letting her get back to her team/the fight faster. A shorter Cryofreeze also gives the enemy less time to prepare for an ez-kill situation vs Mei, so ironically, it helps keep her alive tactically instead of just using a flat 4 second pause button lol.

1 Like

So, a Mei that is alive and more active in the fight risks less than a Mei that stalls for 4 seconds? Because in those 4 seconds the team it’s like a 5v6.
It’s better to keep the stalling capability of cryofreeze or it’s something that’s could be sacrificed for something else?

I agree, I think cooldowns are one of the problems, she has some of the longest cooldowns in the game, especially as all the new heroes and reworked heroes have quick cooldowns. That and the awful favour the shooter on her abilities that is still in the game despite Blizzard claiming they would have a fix incoming months ago.

I think she’s in a good place, not amazing, but not terrible. However, she will quickly fall to F-tier if they keep reworking heroes with low cooldowns and introducing more, especially when her abilities are all easily countered despite the long cooldowns.

1 Like