[Mei-gathread] Does Mei feels balanced and underpowered at the same time?

If her ultimate would stop disapearing when I die Mei would be basically perfect right now. Skill at hitting long range projectiles is rewarded with a strong ultimate, great close quarters kit that rewards tactical play well balanced by cooldowns.

2 Likes

I would replace her wall with something else. It’s too much cc that’s Mei bringing in the game

Mei is literally the only character that drives me crazy, I hate playing against her so much.

True, otherwise those heroes would be dominant and would be really boring to play and have against

In attack personally works pretty damn well, i can close some parts and split the enemies well, preventing them to contest

She needs mostly to get her bugs fixed, then buffing other parts of her kit should be considered

That’s the core of her kit, removing it would make her a totally different hero IMO

So don’t be a pheasant, learn to counter her. Personally i hate facing Spamrat, especially in competitive play

1 Like

Not a bird.

Regardless, Mei isn’t underpowered. She has some bugs and when/if those are fixed… she will be overpowered given how many characters she shuts down, her ability to snipe, stall on point, and use area of denial attacks.

I agree.

She has a lot of bugs that needs to be fixed.

I doubt she will be overpowered if her bugs are fixed.

Yes, she has gameplay affecting bugs, but not ones that makes her unplayable and extremely weak.

She still has clear weaknesses and counters. Spammers, snipers and range attacks are still her weaknesses.

Sure, her icicle has range as well, but it also has a cast time, travel time and low firerate. Her best range are still close to mid range, and even then has most heroes mobility, invulnerability, CC or other means to deal with Mei.

Also, Mei has the lowest average damage from all the DPS’ers AND tanks. Her denial attacks is to balance out her low damage output.
She also has high sustainability and slightly higher healthpool because she is a close range hero with no mobility.

1 Like

The necessity of tanks makes her feel strong at times.
It’s infuriating to go up against a good Mei as a tank.
Tanks are already boring to play, now imagine being actively sabotaged by this chubby annoying Eskimo.

EDIT: Also, that video is outdated.

1 Like

Those are weaknesses that almost every other character shares.

Right now, Mei’s main strength is that to reliably kill her without sniping/spamming takes two or more people surrounding her from a slight distance.

Well yeah, that’s kinda to be expected from a character who’s strongest range is supposed to be close to midrange.

The same thing can be said about Reaper and Brigitte.

There is a reason why Mei was a defense hero. It’s because she had good area control as a close range hero.

Like I said:

Being in her best range doesn’t automatically means a guaranteed death. There are ways to deal with Mei, even at close range.

Yes, Mei can be oppressive and annoying, but she’s also extremely fair. Her kit (and freeze) offer counterplay to all heroes.

When her “counterplay” (as a whole*) is hack her, overwhelm her, or snipe her that’s really not anything unique given that she is better at controlling a 20 meter diameter circle around her than any other character in the game. With just her primary fire.

*as a whole cause, yes, there are some abilities that Mei has which are directly countered… her ult being countered by DM and deflect, for example. But Mei uniquely counters more characters than uniquely counter her.

can you name me a single character other than reinhardt that is hardcountered by mei?

1 Like

She plays so differently than everyone else that it feels impossible to tell if she’s in a good spot. XD

Mei is very strong against: DVA, Ana, Zen, Winston, Tracer, Genji, Lucio.

D.va: Can boost away from Mei at any time. Can easily nullify her ult with D.matrix. Can D.matrix any frozen target to prevent the fatal damage from reaching them. Can fly over her walls. The only reason Mei is “strong” against D.va is because if the dva does get frozen, the enemy team usually has no other defensive abilities to save her. Even if she does get frozen, the mei needs backup from her team to even stand a chance at killing her.

Ana: Should never be near the Mei. Can sleep the Mei to prevent getting frozen. A well timed nade on herself just before she gets frozen will keep her out of 1shot range. Any other DPS would kill ana in the same amount of time, or even faster if the Ana doesn’t hit either of her cooldowns.

Zen, pretty much the same as ana: should never be near the Mei, can get killed by any other dps just as fast or faster. Zen actually has the benefit of his healing still sticking to his teammates even if he gets a wall placed in front of him.
Bonus for zen: His ult allows him to bodyblock even the biggest damage for his frozen teammates if needed, even if it is more than his ult’s healing already does.

Winston: Can walk in and out of his bubble to prevent getting frozen. Leap away from the freezes. Mei can hardly do anything against his bubble. plenty of DPS that can deal with winston faster as well as get away from him if needed. He can also jump over her walls if walled off (or if not possible, jump straight up after being frozen for a little bit to reset the freeze timer while being out of her range. giving his team time to wait/bypass the wall).

Tracer: literally the only time a tracer is bothered by Mei is if she manages to get a rightclick to her face. which both Ashe and Hanzo can do better solo. Who also have vertical mobility to get away from Tracer. Put teammates into the mix for discord/damage boost/tracer not always being at full health and most of the cast has an easier time than hoping for the precision god/luck shot. She can also recall back if walled off.

Genji: literally the only time genji is countered by Mei is if he wastes his dash AND ends up in her range after doing that, even then he still has enough damage output to kill her before the freeze finishes (although he would need some damn good precision for that). Can also counter shots on frozen teammates by jumping in front of them and deflecting. Can climb/dash over her walls.

Lucio: Can easily speed out of her range. Can heal outside of 1shot range if he throws heal on just before he gets frozen. Can boop Mei away to prevent freeze altogether or last second to throw off her headshot. Can boop away mei after she freezes a teammate to make her miss the shot. Can speed teammates out her freeze/ultimate. Can wallride her walls to get over them.

Any good D.va, winston, tracer, genji or lucio will counter the mei more than she counters them. Ana is probably the one that has the hardest time dealing with her, but name me 1 dps that ana can deal with easily. Zen even has enough damage output to leftclick Mei to death before the freeze finishes, if he has a rightclick charged even easier.

so basically you’re saying Mei is strong because she can freeze people that either should never have been in her range in the first place, or because they wasted their abilities while also ending up in her range while doing so, while they also didn’t have any other teammate back them up in case they do get frozen.

these aren’t things that Mei hardcounters. These are things that have a bigger chance of getting killed by her if they themselves screw up first.

2 Likes

lol mei underpowered? lol funny…this is funny as hell.

well seeing as you’re a silver d.va main, i’d assume that you both make these mistakes as well as have teammates that make them. And that your teammates also don’t know how to help each other against her.

So yeah i’m sure she’ll feel like a strong counter to you. but that’s on you.

to put it simply: Mei’s kit strongest part is punishing mistakes.
People at low ranks make more/bigger mistakes.
Thus Mei will appear stronger in lower ranks.

2 Likes

Mei is strong in low ranks, since nobody knows how to counter her most of the times. Going un in higher ranks, you will get countered more often and you are more forced to switch

2 Likes

This may shock you but Mei’s primary fire is one of the few things that can go through DM like it isn’t there. And once it happens, she can’t boost or anything else. And since DVA has to be in front lines and occasionally diving, Mei is a real challenge for her and is a enemy hero that DVA is likely to encounter when doing her job.

Here are things that frequently happen in games:

1. Flanking. By enemies or, these days, even by turrets. Mei’s ability to use ice walls to climb to unusual location and her very quiet footsteps makes her surprisingly good at flanking also.
  2. Teammates breaking your line of sight and forcing healers to move out of more protected areas. Mei’s ability to put up walls hinders Ana los for any healing and Zen’s ability to move his orbs to new targets.
  3. Being forced to stay at or near objective to prevent loss of the game despite your preference for not being in melee range of opponents. (Also speedboost is a thing.)

Are you unaware of the fact that Winston’s attack range is SHORTER than the range of Mei’s primary fire? Go try it out in the practice range, maybe?

Yada yada. I’m done spelling out why I think Mei is very strong against a lot of characters. Regardless of what you think, I feel she is ALMOST overpowered and have thought so since I started playing her… so for a very long while. She isn’t fast at dishing out damage but for me, playing against her is like watching baseball… if she’s in the game it becomes a game where nothing happens. Which I hate. And it’s by design.

The keyword here is “feel”.

You feel Mei is (almost) overpowered. Plague (and I) don’t. We just have different opinions.

I do think her kit can feel very oppressive and cheap, but I also think her kit is extremely fair and offer plenty counterplay. Mei is a hero who I think has clear strengths and weaknesses and I wish more heroes were like that.

1 Like

I’m watching a live with the italian Mei dubber (Katia Sorrentino), and hearing her say “F–k you Widowmaker” (Vaffan----) sounds damn weird but cool