[MEGATHREAD] Symmetra 3.0

This right here

I have yet to find one person who says the primary is balanced

Even ppl who say syms balanced ( a minority btw) agree her primary could use some changes. It’s just not good

There is no reason not to buff it

The devs however don’t seem to care one bit at all

1 Like

Oh jeez, I would say that this is an excellent statement that I agree with, though it has very little to do with Sym3.

Above all things we can say her Primary fire needs major adjustments:

Either return the lock-on so she can defend herself on close-range combat again.

Or

Increase the tick rate of her current primary fire by a rapid margin so it can actually damage people in compensation for its poor aim and Symmetra’s lack of survivability and mobility.

Symmetra used to counter close range heroes like Genji or Mei, now she cant because she has no way to hit them up close.

Long range heroes was an issue but at least she could toss shields down halls and such, now she doesn’t even have that.

Her main strategy now consists of hopeful turret traps and diet bombing like she was trying to mimic Zarya, Junkrat or Pharah, except with worst survivability than all of them.

If her primary was addressed everything else would seem minor in comparison, but the fact all someone has to do to counter her is get within arms length of her and dance- jump around her is terribad game design.

Her primary is supposed to work close range but the hero herself can’t fight close range, it makes absolutely no sense. In hindsight, how this made it into actual live play is dumbfounding.

1 Like

Actually, increasing the tick rate would be horrible. It’s what they did to “fix” her current beam, and why it’s so horrible against armor currently.

We actually need the tick rate to be reduced, as currently it’s 20 ticks per second. Initially her beam was 4 ticks per second, but that could be exploited with the new mechanics in place.

I think they should put it back down to 4 ticks a second, but find some way to remove the exploit that allows for more damage than intended. That would go a long way to helping her provide consistent damage on her foes.

2 Likes

I offered how to do that way back when this change was first put in place back on the PTR, but the devs of course ignored it since they never read their own forums.

Simply make it so every time the beam does damage it starts a .25s counter and new contact or maintenance of same contact does not register again until that counter returns to 0. That would make it so you can’t cheat and wave the beam wildly around in the air and hit multiple people for extra damage. Or if the devs wanted the ability to do damage to multiple targets but only once each during a .25s timeframe could make the counter’s be tagged on the enemy player marking them “safe” for a period instead.

No, I want the beam do to damage as soon as it hits a target, otherwise you’re sitting there for a quarter of a second staring at someone, wasting ammo, waiting for it to start damaging them.

They should just go ahead and copy the code for Zarya’s beam, but instead of basing the resource off of her shield absorption rate, just base it off a linear charge amplifier.

Starts at 90dps, and over the course of 2 seconds maxes out at 180dps. All the extra code that goes into Zarya’s beam can be stripped out, and replaced with the linear charge mechanic.

Problem solved, she now has a functional primary.

1 Like

The thing is, what you want is what we have basically with 3.0b.

The problem here is that the damage of the Sym beam if allowed to constantly do the same damage every time it triggers / makes contact would be like a McCree that never has to reload or wait between bullet fires.

2.0 actually had the same potential for the 3.0a bug but because of the lock people did not realize it. The moment lock was lost the abusiveness of setting the scroll wheel for firing on/off became real. In point of fact a Zarya or a Moira or a Winston can right now abuse the 3.0a bug although not very many people are aware of that because they have all been part of the scene for so long that no one realized they were susceptible to the same exploit. The exploit was made popular by Sym 3.0a simply because people were testing out a “new” hero for the first time, and they didn’t try the test with the “old” heroes already in the pool.

Hey, a popular YouTubed named aria rose wants to do a interview with active sym mains on the forums through discord, and I wanted to know if you are down to do that kind of thing. Her last interview was an hour long and it consisted of 5 bastion mains ( the topic was bastion)

You would be talking with other sym mains who post on the forums and be asked questions related to symmetra

reply if ur interested

2 Likes

Who cares?

It was balanced. It had a very short range on a low health hero.

I am interested in getting 2.0 back

I never got to try the exploit, but I read that people were scrolling their mouse wheels and others were tapping rapidly.

Why not make her beam have to spin up for like half a second from holding down primary fire before it fires (think of how Heavy works from TF2). Of course, it also wouldn’t hurt to up the time before the beam drops a level to 2.5 seconds, from 2 (since total reload and fire would now be 2.3) and lower level change to 1.5, from 2 (it was 1 second a level, no idea why it was gimped)

I disagree
When the exploit was known i went and tried zarya’s beam if it would do the same but no it didnt do the super damaging exploit it only works with symmetra at that time.

1 Like

I accept. Should I PM her somewhere?

1 Like

I’m not sure what I’d say that differs from what every other Symmetra main has been saying in the forums, but I’m willing to step up for the cause.

Just add me in discord and I can notify her that your in and connect you two

I’m symmetra main reporting#0367

Just add me in discord and I can notify her that your in and connect you two

I’m symmetra main reporting#0367 on discord

It’ll be later tonight. I’m at work.

That’s alright, she is still just planning out the video, I’m just recruiting some active well known sym mains on the forums for the voice chat interview. About 4 sym mains should be enough. I see you post a lot so I saw no reason not to ask

1 Like

True…

I noticed I’m tied with Symmetra for the number of comments on this particular thread. (Now I beat them by 1!) I do know you can search through the forums and see that the majority of us have responded to the Symmetra themed posts leading up to, and after the changes to Symmetra.

If you’re “doing research” for the interview, you should probably do some searching on the PTR forums as well. The Symmetra community was quite vocal there previous to go-live while she was still in testing on the PTR.

symmetra main reporting#0367 doesn’t get me anything on Discord. I added Logic Ronin without issue. You might want to check to make sure you didn’t set something up weird :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to add me, I’m Blasphemy#8770

1 Like