[MEGATHREAD] Symmetra 3.0

Bless your soul for making this <3

ive added some results in the Poll thread from what ive gathered, not done yet, but thought it should warn

Magy, thank you for making the poll. It will probably never be seen by the people who matter simply because the devs have lost touch with their own game. But at the very least you have given all of us the chance to state our feelings rather than keeping them locked inside like an unwatched kettle.

Personal opinion is that in some ways Sym 3.0 is stronger, and in some ways 2.0 was stronger. Objectively I would say they are about equal. However, it is my opinion that because of the changes 3.0 is only really strong with a good team, while 2.0 was strong on her own and could carry bad teams.

This belief of the power exchange explains for me why the SR has changed to peaking around Diamond. 2.0 Sym was strongest against unorganized teams and teams that did not prioritize shutting her down. This meant she peaked around gold and after that could be used but only by skilled players and they had to fight against their teams to succeed in most cases.

3.0 Sym does not do well at all in unorganized teams which explains why almost no one plays her in Bronze to Gold. However, 3.0 works best in an organized team, but the problem is that at highly organized team levels most teams are not as willing to use Sym strats when they can get the same results with less coordinated effort using other strats so even though it ā€˜wouldā€™ work they are not used as much. Thus the peak at Diamond makes sense to me since its at a level where organized teams work better, but not yet at a level where the arrogance and belief that only the easy meta should be used has fully set in.

I personally think that Sym 2.0 was better simply because a good player could carry bad teams with her while its far harder to do as 3.0.

2 Likes

Should this get updated to sym 4.0 or is this megathread over? Or maybe sym 3.5 what the hell is this Garbo change

Do the devs hate sym?

Yes, they do. 3 years and Sym has always been bad and now they nerfed her.

3 Likes

It is not that the devs hate Sym, it is that they are apathetic to her. They have no knowledge of how their own game works or how the community thinks since they have deliberately shut down all lines of communication and now rely entirely on OWL player blogs, big name streamer tweets, and reddit for their feedback - and even reddit is only skimmed over.

What makes this choice of communication / feedback miserable for Sym is that none of the popular OWL players, big name streamers, or main reddit threads will ever have a Sym perspective. So she just languishes and gets nerfs that the devs do not even realize are problems.

If you ever doubted that the devs are completely out of touch with reality look no further than the two Jeff / Geoffā€™s. During a live stream interview Jeff showed he had no clue what the current memes were. During an interview with Forbes magazine Geoff called the 3-3 comp ā€œGhost Compā€. I had to manually message the writer and tell them it should be changed to saying ā€œGoatsā€ and why the name exists.

If the devs in charge of important game changing decisions do not even understand their own game, then how the heck can anyone expect them to make reasonable impactful decisions? I would say I do not blame them for making bad calls, but it was their own decision to stop reading the forums.

3 Likes

You will not convince me that any of the changes in the recent balance patch were changes to benefit the game and not owl. The sym and brig reworks are hated and the sombra nerfs with 0 compensation are happening cuz of her prominence in owl when she sucks in ladder

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Even though Iā€™ve been very satisfied with Symmetra as of late, and her powerlevel has finally been adequate, it seems the devs donā€™t agree. For some strange reason, her ability to be impactful in this heinous double-barrier meta is unacceptable. Meanwhile, heroes like Hanzo and Mei can benefit from being impactful not only in their suppose niche, but also everywhere else.

So, Symmetra is left with a primary fire that is more laughable when uncharged than before, a secondary fire that can do nothing against barriers, turrets that, despite being very good, do not justify picking her over a longer range hero, and a beam that requires such a high level of precision that she cannot be played effectively on console.

Cheers, and please retire Sym alongside me to play Mei,

Symmetra

1 Like

Poor sym players not even allowed to be the very best in their own niche

2 Likes

The year is 20XX and sym is still being neglected. Do the devs even care?

2 Likes

I wanna see Symmetra as a Support Hero again. DPS Sym is not working out.

• Allow Symā€™s primary fire will lock on again, but lower the tolerance for bad aiming, so enemies can escape easier.
  • Bring back the Shield Sym used to be able to put on individual allies, except make it 75 HP, but it doesnā€™t regen unless the ally is standing near Sym. Sym can also manually repair the Shield at a much faster rate, but it will drain her ammo, so she canā€™t attack & repair at the same time.
  • Sym & Allies will have a 1 second invincibility when exiting the teleporter.
  • Her Ult (barrier wall) will add a movement speed slowdown to enemies that choose to walk though it.

Support sym rework that letā€™s her heal and help counter CC

So I have some ideas in regards to reworking sym into a support. But note that I am fine with her being a dps or tank. Just as long as she has a defined role.

1.) Turrets- Sym will now have access to 6 turrets. When she presses the button for the turrets sheā€™ll have 2 options. 1 being the damage and the other being healing turrets. Iā€™d say that the healing turrets should heal for around maybe 15 healing per sec just because itā€™d be a bit much to have them heal for a lot. Iā€™d also the damage turrets show the character that is being damaged by them. Iā€™d also have the turrets no longer have the slow purely because their annoying to deal with and she will be having more turrets. This will cause the sym player to have to chose carefully and will change depending on the situation.

2.) Photon projector(gun)- For the photon projector Iā€™d have to change it so that she does have the ability to heal her teammates. Iā€™d change her secondary fire so that itā€™s now a healing orb that just like the old orb deals splash healing and the amount of healing that it does is dependent on how long the player charged it. Iā€™d also would like itā€™s piercing effect to come back which could make it a very unique part of her kit.I donā€™t know if it should be like anas weapon where if it hits a teammate it heals them and if it hits an opponent it deals damage. Thatā€™s left to whoever wants to participate in this little idea. For the primary shell obviously deal less damage. I thought about allowing it to pierce opponents at the cost of less range and for it to charge up quicker but that may not be needed. The primary fire will still have the same effects on shields which can make sym still great at combating shields. Overall, the orb one is merely to allow her to have a way of healing with also the requirement to have to aim. And I still want her primary fire to have use given how I want t avoid sym being a heal bot.

3.) Teleporter- Iā€d have the teleporter deploy quicker so as to allow the player to help their team get out of situations better such as a Zarya grav. If possible Iā€™d also have it either have a full cleanse or at the very least lessen the effects of a move like ashā€™s dynamite. Iā€™d also want itā€™s cool off to be like sombras translocator to start off when itā€™s used. I want teleporter to be used more and more creatively rather than a get out of spawn quicker move. I wouldnā€™t really change the cool down maybe increase it if the cool down starts once itā€™s used but that might not be needed.

4.) Ult- The one thing I liked about old sym was how unlike other characters she had more than 1 option when it came to ults. I want to keep that but I will not have the shield gen come up because I know that most players found that frustrating and I think we can replace it with something better. Iā€™d keep her barrier ult merely because it is useful, Iā€™d add her old teleporter because it can be used in certain situations. And Iā€™d add another contraption called an anti cc generator. The purpose is to weaken the effects of cc. Think of it being a mini fortify without the damage reduction. Another idea could be sym creating a sort of different shield generator. This to me is what I feel like shield generator should have been. It would create a sort of one time bubble that would last for only one attack that is inflicted upon the user (sort of a zarya bubble).It does not give sym any real charge. However, it can be used to sort of block an attack and protect her teammates. Of course, itā€™s very situational but just like sym it can be used in varying situations and help out her team. And also the bubble is a one time thing just to repeat once itā€™s gone sym will need to use the ult again in order for a teammate to get a new one. And letā€™s not forget that it does not give her charge and it only lasts for one attack. I feel as though if it were similar to zarya then itā€™d get rid of part of her identity. This is meant to really help her team. It can help block Ćŗlts like earth shatter, dead eye, meteor strike and so on. It can block anti nades or dynamites. It can clutch a battle. But It requires the sym to really consider when to use it. Sure it can block a meteor strike. But is it better to block that anti nade or shatter? This one time bubble requires perfect timing and syms that can use it will get major benefits. But letā€™s not forget that it accomplishes what original shield gen could not. Shield gen can block that head shot, ult it can do so much that the original couldnā€™t and yet is more creative then the first one. But her other ults can be game changing. With her tele she can use it to back cap a point a point with her team. She can combo it with her regular teleporter so she can give her teammate/teammates who are coming back to spawn with an immediate proper positiononing. Which also forces the oponentes to be careful with their ult usage. Her anti cc generator can help a team who wants to push or make a dive. What players hate most is trying to attack an opponent but they cc you to death. Imagine, a place where you can attack an opponent but a sym ult was able to not only save your life but help you secure the kill. The wall ult can stay and be used as it is. It can cut off that line of sight the opponent has and provide that much needed shield that can help your team.But overall these Ćŗlts help sym be that ultra utility character we all wanted her to be. But letā€™s not forget that when you use these Ćŗlts you must make sure you picked the right one. And that your opponents can destroy them and their is of course a lot of counter play to this. But overall I think this is what sym was designed to be but could never be. She can be that support that while yes can heal is meant to be a utility character that can bring so much to a team. Iā€™d certainly be fine with other ideas I just want her to have more options given how she is know for utility.

5.)General- These changes are more meant for sym herself and none of her abilities. Iā€™d give sym maybe 25 or 50 more shields. Which would equal to either 225 or 250 health. This is just meant to help her since she does have low survivability. Iā€™d also give her a passive. I heard one where she gets a small amount of shields if she uses her primary fire on shields. That sounds fine but Iā€™m open to other ideas.

Overall, the reason Iā€™m doing this is because I believe a character like sym should be reworked given how she struggles to be a dps. She is a mismatch of other roles. And despite being such a cool and creative character she struggles to be that true dps. I think itā€™d be healthy to have another support. But Iā€™d be fine to have her still be a dps or even a tank. Just as long as she has a defined role.