Math on Genjis shuriken dps

Whats great about this is that alot of the examples of people who have higher dps (mercy, sombra, bap) Have no burst. Thats not to say some high dps characters dont have burst, like soldier, but yea…

120 dps is fine. Do you know why? Because 120 dps+dash+melee equals 200. 120+50+30 is 200. Thats a 1 second ttk. Pretty fine. Not genjis problem.

2 Likes

could’ve just said

28 damage per 1 shuriken

84 damage per 1 volley of shurikens

84 damage / .68 s (recovery firerate)= 123.52 damage per sec

For him to deal 120 dps, he has to land all 6 shurikens all the time which is very unlikely.

I mean that’s true of everyone’s potential DPS. The only thing you could say is that missing one shuriken instantly drops him to 66% accuracy but like…whose hitting targets with more than 66% accuracy? Also it’s a fan, so just as it taketh away accuracy, it legit giveth accuracy. And genji is one of the characters its easiest to headshot with, and hitting 2/3 fan in the head is equivalent to hitting 4 shuriken, and hitting 1 is equivalent to hitting 2.

That’s not to say I’m not on your side. Genji needs to be looked at.

Honestly as long as Genji’s playstyle is to instant gib people who are low, or to be a blade bot, or if taking a duel, to spam fan and use janky movement tech to dare them to hit you, he is going to be bad. It is really annoying and good for genji right up until you hit a rank where people can aim and then pretty much it’s a roll of the dice every time you take the engagement. But if the person is good enough, all your evasion gets punched right thu. It is not like tracer, whose hitbox is so insane that AD strafing can counter the best aiming in the world. Literally the only time Genji is a legit threat at high level is if he is nano’d, in which case it doesn’t matter if you hit him or not. He’s so hard to kill he basically is invincible 1v1. Cree would have to shoot him like 6 times to kill him or something lol.

Aim just scales higher than anything Genji can do. That is not to say that Genji isn’t skillful. You have ghost dashes, combos, are constantly turning in/out of the fight, have to master the poking phase, dragon blades…it is just at a point McCree or Ashe are going to not care what your doing and click on your head. Your best option it to predict and deflect. Which is not good.

You could say take power away from hitscans but its like…If genji required 4 hits to kill instead of three it’d be utterly ridiculous. There is nothing about the break points of hitscans that can be changed and that ultimately plays a big role in how they outpace genji.

Genji should have power taken out his fan and have his primary reworked. He should have a Kunai or something that travels quickly but maybe has some drop and you can actually hit shots with it. The ONLY way Genji will ever be able to compete with hitscans is to hit them better than they hit you and to have options to be deadly from close and midrange.

3 Likes

That’s not at all what I said.

You asked who wins in a 1v1, Genji or Mercy. Genji’s shots are bursty, but inconsistent. Mercy’s are the opposite.

I’ve been spotted :eyes:

but yes, all he needs is 29dmg shurikens with bug fixes in dash, deflect, and wall climb and he should be a solid B-tier hero. Itd be the more logical and healthier change for him.

So then what was the point of the Mercy comparison?

1 Like

He can’t be doing damage all the time obviously, but his bursts are more than enough to finish/leave targets at low health if you land triple headshots. I main Bap for support and i can tell you to land triple headshot as Bap is much more consistent and just as deadly if not more than as Genji.

He can erase targets from existence with a burst from amp matrix or simply with damage boost.

Anything in the game that doesn’t have damage mitigation abilities in this game (which he does) is susceptible to snipers (also, only snipers i consider are Ashe and Widow which are both hitscans)

Anyway, i just want you to please and try to understand that we are not trying to make Genji S tier must pick hero. We just want to be rewarded for landing shots, and i’d gladly take any of the two approaches below

0.68s firerate with 29 damage shurikens + 15% ult charge cost
30 damage shurikens with 0.75s firerate (his base recovery) +15% ult charge cost

neither of those would make him overpowered, it would simply reward the player for landing his critical shots which current Genji isn’t rewarded unless you never miss… which is funny because Cree can get free kills with flashbang + fth which even my 4 years old niece could do.

If you take a look at some damage numbers, you’d be going from 84 to 87 damage for 3 bodyshots, which isn’t a lot at all and barely helps, but critical headshots would do wonders because you’d be able to burst down your targets by landing all 3 shurikens. June Genji was OP because 30 damage is just too much in combination with .65 firerate and 9 spread, but .68 and 29 is most balanced form especially with 15% ult charge.

3 Likes

genji has that too, and mercy has no spread iirc

1 Like

Increasing his damage makes is combo too consistent and his TTK to short , with out considering that ha could start one shoting people just ny walking in their face with deflect and crit+melee them.

2 Likes

???

I don’t know, why don’t you tell me?!? You asked the question!

You act as if the genji player has the luxury to do that all the time when in practice, that happens so rarely. Genji is not even a consistent hero to begin with.

2 Likes

But Genji doesn’t shoot in a stream.

if he did then 0.68 sec of shooting Genji would deal 84 damage but he doesn’t, he deals 168 damage. And he can intersperse a swift strike in between each shot because - once again - Genji’s attack is not a stream.

Genji can deal 218 damage in 0.68 sec.

Sombra cannot do that.

Mercy cannot do that.

Not without headshots to double damage but then Genji can also go for headshots.

4 Likes

You shouldn’t be using DPS to evaluate the viability of burst damage heroes, especially if you’re leaving off headshots and an ability that deals 50 damage instantly. By that logic Widowmaker is a trash hero because she does less than 100 DPS in scoped mode. Burst damage heroes should be evaluated based on how easily they can achieve certain damage thresholds (200, 250, etc.) with their kits. Does Genji need help? Yes. But this is not the kind of argument that should be made, you should be arguing how 29 damage shurikens can let Genji hit certain breakpoints in his combos easier.

It’s also not fair to compare DPS to supports because supports almost always have to sacrifice their ability to do their job if they want to engage in damage dealing (except for Zenyatta). If supports really were dealing as much damage as people say, then they wouldn’t be sitting at the very bottom of the “Damage dealt” stat for all the ranks. Supports can duel when they need to, but suggesting that they render DPS obsolete is completely false.

3 Likes

An example of the flawed thinking with this is it doesn’t distinguish between Sombra dealing 8 damage per shot and 0.05sec delay between each shot and dealing 80 damage per shot and 0.5 sec between each shot.

Even if you scaled her magazine capacity so she dealt the same damage per magazine that would be her dealing more damage per shot than McCree with the same fire rate.

That’s obviously way better.

Also you could have her deal 320 damage per bullet and 2.0 sec delay between each shot.

It’s the same “stream damage” but it’s not remotely equivalent.

1 Like

Genji is about his mobility and combos

If you are trying to play him as a sniper YOU are the problem

1 Like

Dammit! You’re not the OP, nevermind :expressionless:

2 Likes

:gun: addiction

The day genji gets 29dmg shurikens, i’ll die in heaven and i will be fine with that genji. Solid B-tier hero right there :heart:

1 Like

The 2 damage per shuriken did help propel him to the meta last year, that’s partly why he got nerfed in like a month. The forums were as upset if not more so about it than about McCree now. And 29/30 damage per shuriken, only accounting for body shots with 100% accuracy and melee, will net you the same results on 200-250 heroes. I’m not against a buff on his damage, and I think there are other things we can look at to change or counter balance if it was implemented, but it would be disingenuous to say it doesn’t make a difference or the other figure is somehow a compromise.