Matchmaker Confusion

I played a match with plats and diamonds on both sides. We rolled the team. Next match, I am paired with one plat and 4 gold. We lost.

I don’t think this game has a clue right now.

1 Like

Winning and ranking up doesn’t reward you with better teammates and opponents in this game. Instead it just gives you even more dead weight to try and carry.

Some matches you will be the highest ranked person on the team, some matches you will be the lowest. The range of MMRs pulled from will be greater if you play at a day, time, MMR, platform with low population.

Despite your miles long post, which is clearly just intended to intimidate people from reading it, you have no actual evidence that handicapping is not done.

You’ve made a valid case that you can get poor match quality without handicapping, but there is extremely little empirical evidence for or against it actually existing. It demeans someone of your intelligence to pretend otherwise.

It demeans someone of your intelligence to give credence to conspiracy theories.

First off, it’s not a conspiracy theory by the textbook definition(Blizzard is who they are, we know who’s behind it if it’s true), nor the colloquial usage(It’s not something absolutely obscene and unbelievable). It’s likely that it isn’t true, but there are still objective reasons why a game developer would want a system like that, mostly related to user retention.

Second, I lent it no credence. I am simply pointing out that despite your well thought out and thorough post explaining that you can get bad matches without fixing, there is still the possibility that fixing is a thing. I gave no supporting evidence, I am not firmly aligned with the belief that games are fixed, but I consider it a possibility.

You performed worse the next game. It’s just that simple.

What post are we talking about here? I don’t see any long posts in this thread.

1 Like

I believe this is the latest version, but someone will correct me if I’m wrong:

Kaawumba is well known for believing the matchmaking is fair, and he ran some very nice simulations to show how you can get unfair matches in a fair system. It is a very educational resource and will help you understand a lot if you can follow the math, but it does not adequately debunk match fixing.

Latest is here: How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 18). Things changed a lot with role queue.

For the record, my post wasn’t about fairness. It is more about logic.

If we want to talk fairness, then we simply have to accept that, based on the current rules, it’s fair to queue with anyone within 1,000 SR for most ranks. I can queue with anyone from 1500-3500. That is the fairness of the system.

Logically, winning a match with higher ranked players should queue you with higher ranked player, right? If you lose, you should player with lower ranked players. The system has always worked this way in my opinion.

I find it odd that I was paired with plats and diamonds in a roll, and then immediately placed with 4 gold players.

The most likely explanation is that the 4 gold players and the plat were queued together, and due to the system’s inability to find a competing 5 or 6 stack for them, they drastically overvalued their MMR. It would be nice if we could still see stacks, to take some of the vagueness out of these situations.

1 Like

This is not correct.

in paladins it’s just win/loss (let’s say you’re in gold 3 with 8 points and lose 9 points you’ll end up gold 3 with 0 points and downrank with the next loss or get around 9 points for winning)

in OW i kinda feel it’s the same (though you lose more points for losing and gain less for winning) in both games i never got the feeling anybody was rewarded (or penalised) based on his own game (more, your team lost and so you deserve to lose points… even when you clearly played better but the enemy got lucky in overtime…)

this increases toxicity. I never got the feeling people where content with the rank they where in… i’m high silver and think with some luck can get into gold -> many toxic teams and trolls keep my SR pretty stable though i allways have to fight hard to get some wins in…

oh and losing SR when you have a leaver on your team is just lowballing… blizzard might as well kick you in the nuts… just because they think it will happen anyways and you should just suck it up…

Your MMR only changes a small amount each game, and if there aren’t very many players in your day/time/rank/platform, the average MMR can bounce around quite a bit from match to match.