Mass Rez: How would you make it fun and fair if it came back?

Please read from top to bottom before commenting, I will not post my own opinion on the matter and this thread is purely to hear everyone else’s opinion.
Please read the Code of Conduct before commenting just in case and keep your conversation civil.

I know, this topic has been discussed A LOT but I wanted to hear everyones opinion on the matter.
Now before you say “Oh Mercy is balanced” or “Mass Rez ain’t coming back”, I know its not coming back.
However, what if mass rez did come back or rather, what if Mercy never got reworked.

I wanted to ask how would you make Mass Rez fun and fair for everyone; DPS, Tank, Support mains and those who love or hate her.

• Would you add a Line of Sight?
  • Add a cast time?
  • How would you make it skill based?

How would you make Mass Rez fun and fair if it came back?
Also please don’t hate me for this, I just want to hear everyone’s opinion on the matter

It’s an ultimate ability it doesn’t have to be fair or fun to play against it just has to be at about the same level of unfairness/unfun to play against as the other heros.

I think I’d put it on a new character that is relatively similar.

From what I understand (I didn’t personally do it or see it much since I just play in QP), Mercy players that hid and res’d did so because they/their team felt the value of having Mercy in a fight vs having Mercy being out of the fight and then coming in and resing favored the latter.

So, I think I’d make the movement abilities somewhat less effective on the character to make it a bit harder to be away then dive in.

I’d make getting health back for the character require them to be actively doing stuff so that if they just hid after taking damage they would still be damaged.

I’d make it so the character had a somewhat more active kit so that choosing to stay out of an engagement would be more of a loss.

I’d alter the ultimate so that the ability would do more to help the living and less to help the dead. I’d keep the range and the lack of line of sight and get rid of the invulnerability.

I’d suggest something like the following where the ability has multiple stages:

Stage 1: Starts Instantly: 5s heal over time for 40/s on everyone that is living in the area.

Stage 2: Starts after .5s: Res everyone who is dead with 20% of their hit points that is in the area. (Healing the damaged part will not provide ultimate)

Stage 3: Starts after 3s: 750 hit point AOE heal/overheal spread evenly among the team that is in the area.

You’d need to play around with the numbers to ensure you got the results you want for various comps and you’d want to also avoid stepping on other ultimate abilities areas.

The goal is to make it so that you will still be able to res as many people as you like but, you’ll be trading getting more people up for getting less from the HOT and the people you’ll be getting up won’t be at full hp.

I’d also suggest making the character appear as an evil omnic that is not attractive. Mercy had Mass Res for a while and only really seemed to get lots of complaints when she became highly picked across the board. Being a pretty heroic human character likely inflates her pickrate. The omnic characters, ugly characters, and evil characters tend to be less popular which would make it less common and generate less complaints.

3 Likes

fun is subjective so i don’t know how anyone can solve that one

fair? doubt it, undoing kills in a game where killing is almost everything is gonna be hard unless you change how the game is played

1 Like
  • Add LoS requirement
  • Remove invulnerability during cast
  • Make succesfully casting full heal Mercy
  • Add cast time the length of “Heroes Never Die” Voiceline (no slow effect, just the cast time)
  • Keep adding new ultimates like Hammond’s for future heroes that could take advantage of enemies being Rezzed on top of them.

Other changes to rest of kit:

• Revert base healing to 60 per second
  • Add in new E, either
    • Beacon: Throws out temporary extra guardian angel target that lasts until destroyed, used, or another is deployed
    • Valkyrie: Short duration uninhibited flight and instant activation of passive healing. Healing can still be interrupted.
1 Like

With the removal of the Sym teleport ultimate that served a similar purpose, I really don’t see mass resurrect ever returning.

By not bringing her back and giving her ultimate that support alive teammate rather than ult that only work on dead teammate.

1 Like

I would set it up to flow more like Genji blade.

So… push Q. “Heroes never die!” Then Mercy has 8 seconds to get to each dead ally and use a melee range, nearly instant resurrect. Successful resurrects reset GA.

The resurrects add a 8s debuff that just prevents their Mercy soul from showing up so she can’t Resurrect the same person more than once per ult.

1 Like

i really liked and found fair, or “no so frustating”, this propose:

(Take the “one at time” mates will be rezzed while time passes)

Anyway, i didn’t have problems with Mass Rez. Ok, i mained Mercy, but when the enemy’s Mercy rezzed all her teams, i was quite “Ok! Here we go again and take the point!”.
So no problem. It increased the “hype” of the battle.

1 Like

Cast time was as is before Mercy was reworked.

For every additional player Mercy attempts to revive, an additional 0.5 seconds is added to the cast time.

If more players die while casting, they are also chained to the effect but the cast time is not increased.

For every soul Mercy has LOS of, she gains damage reduction.

Mercy creates a massive visual and and loud audio code during the animation clearly indicating to enemies where she is.

I feel like once mass was removed and then syms teleporter was removed that blizzard just doesn’t want to add anything that gets players back to the objective fast for a longer stall.

It was fun and fair the way it was.

1 Like

3 sec cast time, 90% slow. On another hero.
That might be fair if the enemy is so oblivious to let him/her. I don’t want to see Mercy without a meaningful E and a stupid, way too easily counterable ult as that.

I propose 2 versions of how I think Rez could work as an ultimate:

1. Mass Rez with LOS requirement, AOE requirement, a cast time, and no invulnerability (the one most would favor)

• AOE radius I would say should be around 10-20 meters
  • Cast time should be 1.25-1.5 seconds. 1.75 seconds is ridiculously too slow but I think 1.25-1.5 seconds still leaves enough time for counter play.

2. Hybrid of Mass Rez and Single-Target Rez
How It Works:

1. Press Q and Mercy says “Heroes never die!” Mercy now gains ability to resurrect teammates for 8-10 seconds (number of resurrects capped at 5).
  2. Stand near a fallen teammate and press Q again to revive that teammate. Successful resurrect will be indicated by current resurrect voice lines “We still need you,” “Let’s get you back in the fight,” etc.
  3. Go to next teammate and press Q again. Repeat.

Side Notes:

• No matter what, number of resurrects that can be performed per ultimate is 5
  • If all 5 rezzes are used up, then ultimate ends early
  • Cast time for each individual rez should be 1.25-1.5 seconds
  • 8-10 second duration so that it is possible to pull off 5 rezzes, but it makes it very difficult to do so
  • EMP and Hack completely stops ultimate
  • Killing Mercy will stop ultimate early
  • Stuns and moving Mercy out of AOE can interrupt an individual rez and will count as a rez being used

I think this version can make it a fun challenge while playing Mercy, making it Mass Rez 1.0 without it being an exact copy of it, has enough counter play, and hopefully will not be complained about being too OP as much by non-Mercy players.

What is the difference between hiding and then getting 1-6 kills after pressing kills and undoing kills?

Just revert it lmao it was fine

Using Mass Res causes Mercy to die. Trade her life for her teammates. That’d make it fair.

not to comeback would be the best way

By not even making it come back. This dead horse needs to be buried.