Mass res was good for flow

So controversial post time:

Mass res was good for this game. Yeah it sucked when you spent so much on a push and mercy reverted it with a press of a button but:

Had they FIXED the ult: I.e. line of sight+ maybe higher ult charge the game would he in better state now. Think if the enemy has 2+ ults. What do you do? Trans/sound barrier? What if they have ults after that? Yeah it’s good ult economy but simply stacking ults upon ults isn’t exactly a hard science.

Mass res gave a reason not to ult stack- to reserve ults until plays were made. At least until the appropriate time was right. Now it’s just "pressure zen/Lucio then press q to win.

74 Likes

It’s funny how people complain about brigitte being mandatory and some of them will turn around and demand the mass ress to return when it was literally the same case for mercy

you right it was a great deterrent to ult stack spam, but it was way to good at it’s job and pretty much just became a game of hide n seek for low rank and duck hunt with an unresponsive blaster in high rank.

9 Likes

It would have been ridiculous if they had just kept it for the sake of holding your ultimates.

1 Like

64 Likes

That alone indicates it was not good for the game, you can decorate it with buts all you want, still won’t change Mercy could reset a fight and cut all the ‘‘flow’’ of the match. Zen and Lucio don’t give you a second chance, they give you extra time to do your job, when you die it’s over for you in that fight.

7 Likes

But like even when mercy 1.0 was around zen/lucio was the top tier meta. Mass res just provided an alternative to trans/sound barrier in that you don’t prevent the ult you reverse it. Which given the strength of ults nowadays

12 Likes

I don’t know why so many people are afraid of trying out Mass Rez again, it’s called PTR for a reason, aka Player Test Realm.

Let’s just test it by adding Mass Rez to the PTR and adjusting it accordingly and let people try it. That way, everyone can agree on what would make Mass Rez fair and fun for everyone.

33 Likes

yeah i know but literally over half the people that want the revert want the one that had invuln, a ludicrous range, and the ability to do it from behind a wall

If you’re arguitng semantics Zen or Lucio can “revert” the fight if there’s been damage done. Surely that’s the point of support ults: to heal what normal healing couldn’t. Like I get it’s disheartening but mercy reverting a state at the touch of a button isn’t that different to Zen healing all of it up at a touch of a button. Even if that’s too much then you could toy with a cast time on mass rez

8 Likes

Mass Rez had issues that also affected Mercy negatively, not just other players. People seem to completely disregard that for some reason or shrug it off like a necessary evil.

As long as Rez can result in a potential 5 man rez, Mercy will always be “required” to hide to stay alive so she can use her Ultimate. That means she isn’t playing the game, she’s waiting. She’s not even waiting for her team or playing with her team.

So much waiting was involved, I was able to KNIT as Mercy 1.0. Which I enjoyed because it meant making more scarves for the homeless. But when I wasn’t knitting, I was waiting. I wasn’t playing the game. I was going “Hm, I sure hope they die soon so I can do something.” And if I attempted to, you know, play Mercy’s role of being a 100% pocket healer, I would be yelled at.

Too much pressure was put on Mercy. Too much was riding on a single Ultimate. The Ultimate encouraged non-intended gameplay (it encouraged NOT playing the game at all lmao). It was a mess and people didn’t realize it was a mess because Mercy got PoTGs and she looked so useful for those 5 seconds, while being useless (off camera/screen) for 40-200 seconds per match depending on the length of it.

TL;DR it was a mess. An objective gross mess. It had payoff, but it was a mess. It was fun for a few seconds, but an unfun mess for a majority of the match. It. Was. A. Hot. Mess. Stop trying to resurrect a mess. Instead, think of ways to improve solo rez. Which since it’s just ONE Rez, it means every Rez is a tempo Rez and there’s no pressure for tempo Rezs (since it’s just 1 person brought back and this is a team game).

4 Likes

It amazes me that people are still complaining about the removal of mass rez. You’d think everyone would have gotten over it by now…

1 Like

To devils advocate: what about Pharah, reaper, or mccree ult? Those encourage hiding till the opportune moment else risking a misplay. If anything mercy hiding matters more as that’s taking crucial healing out of he battle; as opposed to dps

Analytics my friend. I don’t and never have played Mercy- not beyond mild flotations with a hero I’m awful at. Im just recognising the impact of mass res on the game as a whole

9 Likes

I know some do, but that doesn’t mean they should be listened to. Instead of the “back in my day” folks, I think it would be better to pay more attention to those that say “we could take the old, but apply changes/fixes to it.”

Which, before Valk was even announced, people were trying to do for Rez. They knew that after invuln, it was too much strength with no risk. LoS was suggested a long time ago and even cast time (though it was more like a second or a half a second). Hell, I think I even saw a suggetion back in the day of a longer casting time depending on how many people were going to get rezed (which would encourage more 2-3 man rezes versus mass).

(And this is to more than just ya, but to others who have or will post/read the thread)
Point is, I think a lot of people feel kind of bummed out that instead of tweaking the ult to make it more fair to play against (and to not promote hide and rez which did exist, but so did every support at the time when it came to their ult) they pushed through a major rework. Not only that, but when people told Blizzard that the rework was way too powerful, they pushed it through live.

5 Likes

Yeah this was during the “we don’t need to listen to our community” phase where a bunch of bad ideas went through valk release doomfist with a very half-minded attempt at hiding the bugs and the state he was kept in for several months. They mostly grew out of it so who knows we might get another rework for mercy that changes her ult to be somewhat like mass ress.

1 Like

Then maybe lay off the Mercy posts? There’s enough as it is. Mass rez would only add more problems to the game.

Also, about the hiding part: It was worse because you were supposed to tell your team to die on the point and die together. It was a risk, but it payed off 99% of the time. It was a really toxic way to play Mercy, and it’s good that it’s gone.

Perhaps because said evil is not necessary and can be fixed by either making a change or just leaving it alone? :thinking: My 2 cents.

As long as people intend on winning their matches, no one is going to be hiding for anything. The only people that are going to be doing this are players who just want to inflate their SR (which isn’t even an issue now) or players who just want PoTG. So, to answer this point, saying that hiding is always required is the biggest hyperbolic regarding “Hide n Res” that I’ve ever heard.

Great. Let’s fix “Hide n Res” by decentivizing it with tweaks or letting it die on its own; the fate of most video game strategies. Let’s not give unnecessary changes that caused more than a year of complaining. :unamused:

What does KNIT mean?

That’s just you, isn’t it? If we’re going to use personal experiences as arguments, when Mercy 1.0 existed, I always stuck with my team and tempo ressed. Because of this 5 man Resses were rare but 1-3 man resses were common. That and, my resses were more successful. Hiding? Heck no. Unless ofc, I want my team to get upset at me and intentionally lose the corresponding fight.

Mercy’s role pre-rework was not 100% pocket healer… Much like the other main healer that existed; Ana, her main role was a main healer.

Honestly, can’t relate. :neutral_face:

If the ultimate encouraged that, Resurrect right now still encourages hiding as it still requires dead teammates to use. In other words, they didn’t fix the issue if “Hide n Res” truly was a design issue.

“Then what are the real culprits of “Hide n Res?”

• SR system at the time
  • Uninformed players
  • Media propaganda
  • Bad players
  • SR abusers

This is precisely why claiming that “Hide n Res” was required is completely wrong. Unless you’re intention is to throw, everyone else in Competitive is going to try and win. Not aim for PoTG.

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.
13 Likes

Or goats just gets stronger and more obnoxious

Mercy isn’t used in GOATs. :wink:

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.
3 Likes

Why? Were I an avid mercy player I’d be more bias to the cause. As is I’m fairly removed- I play support (immobile often so individual res should help) but yet I prefer mass reds due to what I’ve taken from the flow of the game as a whole. Don’t discourage discussion about a topic yo

She would be if she could bring 2+ tanks back to life.

4 Likes