Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

At a quick glance, that looks to be about the right process (i dont have a StreamDeck, but again its just linux in a handheld/custom unmaintined distro from steam.

I do not believe it is any form of JailBreaking the device, its sorta common practice for people to install other launchers/runners on SteamDecks but unless steam have some hidden license/agreement its no different from installing it officially on a linux desktop (arm vs x64/x86)

SteamDeck itself is already using Valves Proton to run non native linux games/windows games. If in doubt/research the terms around it but most likley is still ussing the Arch license or similar (correction for above as i thought it was still debian, its now Arch based)

As for the process, well its not hard and these days most apps make it fairly easy to do this stuff. Its more understanding there is always a chance it might stop your unit from booting or some other issue (upto you to judge the quality of the product/see videos about bottles on steamdeck)

• Also you can replace Bottles with Lutris but i think bottles is a little more user friendly

Can you keep updating us if it still working

Thanks

i got these reports if any one can explain it maybe it’s a fix

10/10/2022 3:16 PM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket 1351689749172342368, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Overwatch.exe
P2: 2.1.0.40636
P3: 63407107
P4: 107a
P5: 67246080
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER80DC.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_Overwatch.exe_d33b901ae8a95743c8619ad8111a987a169de25a_915a2659_a92b6984-5237-4917-93b5-feaf7fd0f657

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 431e5808-0a51-4f1a-b476-f63bb1001a4f
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 26a40986adc8fc6042c22aaa51f44e60
Cab Guid: 0

10/10/2022 3:16 PM	Application Hang	The program Overwatch.exe version 2.1.0.40636 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 3b40
 Start Time: 01d8dcbb15a9fdbe
 Termination Time: 4294967295
 Application Path: D:\games\Overwatch\_retail_\Overwatch.exe
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 
 Hang type: Top level window is idle

10/10/2022 3:16 PM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Overwatch.exe
P2: 2.1.0.40636
P3: 63407107
P4: 107a
P5: 67246080
P6: 
P7: 
P8: 
P9: 
P10: 

Attached files:

These files may be available here:
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\Critical_Overwatch.exe_d33b901ae8a95743c8619ad8111a987a169de25a_915a2659_a92b6984-5237-4917-93b5-feaf7fd0f657

Analysis symbol: 
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Status: 4
Hashed bucket: 
Cab Guid: 0	

Thanks so much for checking for me, appreciate you taking the time.

When I installed OW1, I followed a different procedure and I am hesitant to completely uninstall and then reinstall using Bottles. I’m not all that tech savvy, so for now, I’m thinking it might be worth waiting for a Blizzard fix.

I’m just worried they’ll take forever to fix it :frowning:

2 days without a crash

–tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 worked for me. Thx for those who figured out that :call_me_hand: But I’m still sad that we have to do this kind of stuff to play a game that should be running fine like it was a week ago .-.

1 Like

I can confirm this:
My buddy has an i3 6100 and the game froze constantly within like 5 minutes. (Tried literally everything ingame/indrivers/inOS)
Suggested him to buy a second hand i5 6500 for like 25 bucks and holy moly, it works
we can finally play together :smiley:

i don’t how it works but it sounded like bottle is just a application shell to run a contained environment you shouldn’t need to uninstall overwatch.

however i know from a few forum thread I have skimmed on linux that the carfe seems important for running ow2. the flatpack thing vrs non flatpack is beyond me but bottles has a install b net within that environment.

heres a yt video of a guy showing and highlighting a bnet

youtube. com/watch?v=o2HUNRPUDkU (take out the space)

heres a yt video but i would respond to angrey as he is way more clued up on it IMHO

After all he wrote this thead for lutris and caffe for ow2 you should be writing in that thread and give him a love heart try promote it

the patch might not work for you anyway it could be dependent on caffe version no also. like i your running in shell so theres other factors at play. but ask angry we may know which parts of the forum have highlighted iffy bottles versions and maybe the runners versions to

25 bucks thats it ? XD

While this works for me, using 2 or 4, I experience major stuttering

2 Likes

do you have 5gb of memory free in the task manger BEFORE running OW2?

during my testing i noticed in i cross 92-93% the system memory at risk. mines is pretty good at the 85-91% when running ow2. the higher the game fps also increases the risk especially like a big change from 60 say to 120 or 140fps.

if your running a overclock i switch to normal profile as i thing they have a overheat on a core with full threads. especially if your FULL SPEED plan. NOTE try have the processor between 80-95% load on the game a prolonged period at 100% Increased my chances of a crash (hence higher fps and display resolution comment) I would not run this game on my system at medium >60-80 fps at if your at a 90% average core load. at what ever resolution your at. you can reduce that load by decreasing the resolution. (NOTE THIS IS NOT THE GRAPHICS PRESET but the display)

Yesterday there was a user with a Fault Tolerant Heap code I specualting that if your games crashed a number to times I wonder if its being piled into this which at redeading is windows way of trying to make the programm more stable but reducing its resources (however if it does that and induces a critical error then does it crash?)
This is speculation and a warning on this there where several changes done to that system wrt to removing other games which had anticheat so it could be a coincidence.

that user had no ow fault codes though and we think he sorted it and last I heard they playing the game for the first time without crashing (FINGERS CROSSED)

Man, honestly, I don’t know either but it works for me. I’m guessing it’s going to force the game to use DirectX 11 instead of Dx12.

1 Like

1 week and 0 solution

7 Likes

hi i think it’s not memory problem i have 22 free

what resoolution are you running? 1080, triple 1080, uwhd 1440, 1440, 1600, 4k whats the in game setting. and fps
overclocked?
are you running a command line?

Id open task manger /select cpu right click the logical process so you see each core
then select view/refresh rate/low

go play some games see if and cores (matching your command line no. during game are constantly flatlining the 100% mines yoyo between 80-100 with spells at 100.

2k 240hz
no command line
not oc

What I really enjoy about the game freezing/crashing is when you get suspended for 8hrs when you’re trying to rank! The most awesome thing ever! :expressionless: :sob:

2 Likes

sorry you ppsted after my edit

Id open task manger /select cpu right click the mouse, select logical process so you see each core
then select view/refresh rate/low

go play some games see if and cores (matching your command line no. during game are constantly flatlining the 100% mines yoyo between 80-100 with spells at 100.

My guess is your 240fps is being mean to the cpu maybe. or you have other problems.
there lots of high end guys complaining of crashes I do think ow2 has inefficencies in my system and runs 1 of the threads too hot.

How many cores and threads do you have, and how many cores and threads does ow2 use. the task manager thing should answer that I hope, i can only see activity on like all my 2 cores. but i could run my 10600 igpu and see. and compare notes I dont crash on that system. NOTE THAT SYSTEM UNDERVOLTED AND PPL2 Limited so maybe thats why i dont have have a thermal throttle on 1 of the thread speculative

This thread slowed down a lot, I’m guessing error is fixed? For my part I can’t say as I get the freeze after 3-4 hours and I haven’t played that long since Thursday.

no, it hasn’t been fixed