Game freezing with Intel i3 / Dual core CPUs

thank you Omnic. i’ll try this out. i play other games so turning off hyperthreading isn’t ideal. but it’s been off for a while now just for OW2 lol

it didn’t work lel

1 Like

Thank you for the update.
I’ll try and answer asap.

any news ? its been more than 13 day

the new update made it so much worse i can only get 5 seconds into a game . i used to be able to play for 4 or so mins

For me the game doesn’t crash, it just closes after a few minutes. If I create a new windows account it lets me play until i restart my pc then I have to make another account. Don’t get any error codes

Ryzen 5 - 3600
2070 super
16GB ram

2 Likes

Pupukakaka - your issue is unrelated to this, this thread is for 2 core intel processor crashes, and your issue matches this thread better.

1 Like

what a $$$$ game with $$$$ dev’s, had no problems in beta now i can’t play the game for over 2 weeks, honestly don’t think I’m gonna enjoy playing ow anymore, this waiting time killed the joy for me. Idot devs. They literally care more about skins then fixing their … game, unbelievable

2 Likes

for forum members who dont read

at your last reply scroll up 4 posts. HINT its written in all blue.

so you want me to remove my command line and run a test sure (gut feeling it wont be fixed and even not at how i played ow1 with a internet browser open and alt tabing.)

but sure why not i havent crashed since i got stability after the last patch. lets see.

I have a I3 7100 and a 1050 2gb, the game crashes after 5 minutes, usually when a team fight starts, can be played only with this command --tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 -thread 2 -d3d11, but the performance is much lower and there is a drop in fps

well my game is still crashing without the argument line

Is the team also investigating this issue where it crashes after a couple minutes with no error or working on this first?

1 Like

I went into training without the command line - everything got even worse. The game used to freeze after 10 minutes, now it freezes immediately.
proc: i3-6100
With the “–tank_WorkerThreadCount 2” command, everything was fine - I have been playing quietly for two weeks.

3 Likes

The issue still persists.
My processor: i3-4170

The source of my issue is definitely the 2-core processor because disabling hyperthreading (or using the --tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 command) fixes the issue (and makes the fps very unstable).

The game freezes AND crashes after random amounts of time. Sometimes it crashes after 1 minute, sometimes after 10 minutes.

It crashes VERY fast (under 1 minute) when I’m playing on the training map.

The issue did not change after the fix. All previously mentioned workarounds still work. I’m using the --tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 command because it lags less than the hyperthreading workaround.

The crashes/freezes happen randomly (they can happen without using any abilities etc.)

I had this same exact issue since the first beta.

6 Likes

Model of CPU:
i5-3230M

Freezing, crashing or both:
Freezing (game is stuck on full screen, alt tab works but the frozen game stays in the foreground, one workaround is to open task manager and put it in the foreground with shortcuts, then end the process).
Note that by “freezing” I mean that the game doesn’t shutdown, but it’s still forever unresponsive.

What you are doing in game when it happens:
Nothing special, it can happen at pretty much any moment during a game / in practice range (now that I think about it, out of maybe 30 times, it probably never happened while there was no enemy nearby. It happened a few times while there were none on screen, but afair never while traveling from base to a point for instance). Although people mentioned it sometimes happen in the menu, it never happened to me.

How frequently is it happening:
Usually around 5 minutes after starting the first game.

Are there any crash ID’s or error codes with the game when this happens:
None.

If the issue changed from before the fix to after the fix. Include what changed with the issue:
Nothing.

Do the previously mentioned work arounds still solve the issue? If so, which work around are you using:

• Previously mentioned workarounds aren’t working. (Can’t disable HT on my BIOS though, so I didn’t try this one).
  • --tank_WorkerThreadCount 2 works, but makes the game unplayable due to decreased and unstable framerate.
  • The script from this guy works quite well (i.e create a new windows account and run the game as that new account without bnet each time i’m starting the game). It sometimes doesn’t work for some reason (same issue, freezing after around 5 minutes).

Same issue in the beta aswell.

2 Likes

LOL
crashed on hollywood with cmd removal on setup even before the enemy spawn door door opened. frame froze repeating ticking noise sfx but music still plays even whilst collecting dxdiag…i can if people use headsets hear them still talk.

intel 6272U 2c 4t 4mb cache 8gb sys mem sodimm
windows game on

I had been running thread 3 and found stability with that as it stabailised cpu3 which apears to be throttling and has a 100% load. removing the command line shows this is still happening. since i cant post images here one. a cmd line changes the behaviour of cpu3 more into line of cpu0-2

task manager cpu image grab
unstable performance —lower right cpu in image
pixhost.to/show/107/313084893_dxdiag-support-17octtest-ow2-removal-oc-cmd-line-thread-3.jpg

Prior to the last update 13th i used to get ovewrwatch codes now i dont.
https://pastebin.com/97YjqFUF

amd upscaller off
reflex off
limit data sent recieved ON
dynamic render ON (works fine with cmd line thread 3)
battle net close on opening of ow2

GPU memory load 1.0gb/2gb

EDIT
I grab a task manager with cmd 3 to show you what normal is for me on a stable system play.
ALL I DID TODAY was remove command line and put it back. the things below i did over 7 days ago. the images for pixhost below are just command line back in. no ingame options where changed.

I have had to go to startup apps and background apps in windows and turn some off.
In my opinion <3.9 gb free memory on my system puts the game at risk leaving battle net on at launcg , onedrive and razer synapse (NOTE SYNAPSE has been uninstalled in my build as turning it off at startup still has residual processes running) takes up 1.2gb for system memory something i wanted back.

at 3.9 alt tabing would black screen the game. at 4.5 with other apps closed i can alt tab. to desktop and back without black screen freezing the ow app.

GAME RUN 1600x900 full screen, medium preset, lighting systems set to low, target fps 30min to 90max. been running last 4 days after i got stability back after the 13oct patch. gamepass level 41 not xp boosted.

Task manager image grab cpu
–tank_WorkerThreadCount 3 stabilised cpu3 preformance.
pixhost.to/show/108/313088927_17oct-ow2-with-cmd-thread-3-for-cpu-usasage-gibralta.jpg
pixhost.to/show/108/313088932_17oct-ow2-with-cmd-thread-3-for-cpu-usasage-kings-row.jpg

Game freezes after 1 to 3 minutes in any game mode. (Has not happened in menus for me.)
Latest update didn’t fix it, still freezes requiring me to use task manager to shut it down.

11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i3-1115G4 (2 cores, 4 threads)
Freezing, no crash ID or error codes.
Happens seemingly at random during any game mode, but does always happen eventually during the first 1-3 minutes. No performance issues before the crash, basically a perfect 60fps.

Using the command line argument “tank_WorkerThreadCount” (set to either 2 or 4) fixes it completely, but causes framerate issues that otherwise aren’t present.
Disabling hyperthreading also worked, but performance was almost unplayable without it enabled.

How did you update it? My client got no updates for ow2

CPU:
I3 7100

Freezing:
After this update took longer to crash in the 2 game to be more specific in the past I couldn’t stay 5 minutes on the training

What you are doing in game when it happens:
Just going to the fight , it can happen at pretty much any moment during a game.
People mentioned it sometimes happen in the menu, it never happened to me.

Are there any crash ID’s or error codes:
Nothing

Do the previously mentioned work arounds still solve the issue?
I only use the --tank_WorkerThreadCount 4 but I have to put the in-game resolution in 65% and the frame rate in 70 but the frame rate is unstable

Sorry for bad English I’m from Brazil

1 Like

Just to double check that I have updated. Current Version is 2.1.0.2.106389 correct?

That’s my version aswell.