Low FPS on highend PC with low GPU and CPU usage %

Hello!
I recently bought new monitor (360 hz) and I realized, that I cannot generate that many FPS on Overwatch 2, but my hardware should be able to.

Currently my FPS are jumping between 180-250. Graphics settings / resolution is not changing almost anything. I tried on 1k,2k and 4k. I tried on low / epic settings, I tried to disable / enable all buffering settings. I disabled v-sync on Nvidia control panel and in game. I also tried to reinstall game, update drivers, update windows. I did replaced thermal paste

My setup :
Nvidia 3090 Ti
Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz overclocked to 4.8 GHz
64 GB RAM 3000
Game installed on fast M2 storage
Windows 11

Both CPU and GPU usage is very small. GPU stops around 50 %, CPU at 60 %. I checked temperature and neither of them is higher than 60 *C.

I have no idea what is bottleneck. I’m almost sure it is not some kind of setting, because in practice range I have 400-500 FPS. Also, before game starts (for example we are waiting for attacker team in Gibraltar) I have around 300 FPS. When more characters show on screen it drops to 180-220. I tested some random game (Hades) and it runs in solid 600 FPS.

I’m not sure how to add image, but I have screenshot with GPU and all CPU cores temperature and usage percentage.

CPU % utilization accounts for all cores. It’s not a good measurement to identify bottlenecks. CPU frequency is also a poor measurement of performance unless you’re comparing CPU’s of the same architecture; 5.00 Ghz on a Skylakex, Intel i7 7820x is nowhere as fast as 5.00 Ghz on AMD 7800X.

What exactly is your CPU? i9 could be anything, even an 8 year old SkylakeX i9 CPU could overclock to 4.8 GHz.

Are you in full screen windowed mode, or full screen mode?

Turn shadows to medium.

Turn reflections off.

Turn off ray tracing if it’s even an option.

Turn off any ‘optimizers’ that your video card manufacturer stuffed into the OS.

Try running your processor at standard clock speeds, same with RAM. You shouldn’t need to overclock with the rig you’ve got, it’s more than capable of running anything for the next 2-3yrs with standard clock speeds. All you’re doing is shortening the life of your hardware. Only overclock if it’s needed.

Thanks for response. I have checked CPU % utilization for each core using MSI After burner not some average %. I am not sure what should I measure to check bottlenecks, can you elaborate?

My CPU is Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz

To Blasphemy:
Thanks for response. I tried both window and full screen mode (there was no difference if I had custom FPS limit). I tried all of those settings (there is no RTX in Overwatch 2) but there is no visible difference. Game works the same on low and epic. The same on 720p and 4k

I have overclocked CPU for my job, it isn’t related to gaming

Is your in-game resolution set to match your screen resolution and the refresh rate hz?

Yes, it is. I use 2k resolution and 360 hz refresh rate to match monitor

Also, make sure to change the resolution within the Nvidia Control panel, and Windows System>Display>Advanced display is set to 360. I know it’s probably something you’ve checked, but sometimes it’s overlooked.
I assume you are also using a DisplayPort. Can your RAM be overclocked/XMP activated? Is Max Frame Rate off (I’d take a step-by-step look at Manage 3D Settings in CP)? Are there any monitor settings that could be limiting the FPS?

Yes I use DisplayPort. I don’t think is some kind of setting related issue because in pratice range I have 400-500 FPS. Can you elaborate what should I check regarding RAM? Should it be overclocked/XMP activated or not? I am almost 100 % sure that some hardware is bottleneck but it doesn’t seems to be CPU or GPU, but I don’t know how to measure / monitor other parts of computer.

You’ll probably want to XMP the RAM. You’ll need to do research as to how high you can set your specific RAM. As for monitoring, I use process lasso.

So, I’m taking you at your word that you’ve checked everything you know to check.

2 other things I’d check: Do you have an ‘active’ keyboard that the lights react to the game? Or a headset that has that feature? Turn those features off, or disable them from startup. I had a similar issue when I had my keyboard resident light program loaded up. It only did it on game that were supported, and OW was one of them.

When I got rid of that, I stopped seeing the framerate drops.

My last suggestion: Run a scan on the client and repair it. See if that sets things back to right. Believe it or not, I’ve actually had it help me once or twice.

Yes, I am using razer setup with all lights on keyboard, mouse etc. I’ll try to disable it.
EDIT:
I did disable it, but there was no difference. FPS drops dramatically when I am looking at other characters, it doesn’t matter if they are fighting or standing still, the more characters are in game the worse FPS are. When I start in “base” its 330-400, after meeting enemy team it drops to 240-300. Without any additional stress on CPU / GPU
EDIT2:
I tried to run a scan on the client, no changes :frowning:

To Meiday:
I tried to setup RAM on minimum (2300) and then maximum (3300). Windows did confirm that memory speed was changed, but there is exactly the same amount of FPS

Did you end task on the service/executable that’s running that whole light interface, or just shut it down by telling the program to stop making it do stuff? There’s a different. Kill the runtime/service/etc that’s running associated with the program.

I removed Razer Synapse completely and restarted PC

And no change?

How about these files?

I just did remove them, restart PC - still no change :frowning: