Low FPS Issue on decent hardware

I have been having this problem for sometime now. I’m pretty sure my CPU is causing the problem, but I just want to make sure before I do anything else.

My PC Specs:
i5-6500
GTX 980 ti
8gb of DDR4 at 2400Mhz
500gb HDD

Ok, so my problem is an FPS issue. I play on a 1080p monitor on all low settings with 75% render scale and an FPS limit of 75. During action sequences I experience substantial frame drops. Usually during team fights I will be getting between low 60s and high 40s. I do have Discord open when these stutters occur. If I turn the frame limit up to max and have Discord closed, I will only get around 90 FPS with drops into the mid 60s during team fights.

I have my GPU fan speed set to 90% whenever I play to prevent thermal throttling. I haven’t overclocked the GPU yet because of the poor performance.

So do I have a really bad bottleneck? Will upgrading to a 7600K help with the stutters? Thanks in advance for any help.

Before you go buying new hardware, try these standard tips which can help resolve most Overwatch FPS drops:

Also here are advanced tips I have written in Overwatch’s Tech Support forum that maximize your FPS performance in the game.