Loss streaks are absolutely the result of bad matchmaking

Yes it is.
Do you actually read the comment or you just have a prewritten thing you throw out there no matter what? Again, the MM system doesnt “make up players/bots” out of nowhere. It has thresholds to be met to start a match.

Role Queue is from the end of 2018, that video is from 2019.

XP or level is NOT one of the factors in Competitive and its one of the LEAST important factors in Quick Play.

Again, for the hundred gazillion time:
Read.About.How.The.Matchmaker.Works.

Players on the OW forums need to learn to start taking responsibility for their own play. Blaming external factor isn’t going to make you better. All it’s going to do is make you saltier.

Theres actually people on here blaming leavers/DC’s on the matchmaker…

the whole matchmaking topic in general makes me lose faith in humanity some times…

I’m not talking about exp or level. I’m talking about my placement in competitive in season 1:

https://i.imgur.com/yLqSzx9.png

Even back then, when competitive was new, there was a huge difference among the teams. This isn’t a population problem and is not something that was introduced with the role queue. It was a problem before the role queue and is a problem after. The matchmaking in competitive has always been bad. The QP matchmaking is better at making even games than the competitive matchmaker is.

1 Like

ah yes i completely forgot that esports titles use advanced future-tech AI too:

1. who isnt and is a smurf
  2. tell who is or isnt tilted enough to throw (this only requires insane predictive analysis, shame on blizzard here tbh)
  3. not releasing ow2 content for ow1
  4. listening to pro players, instead of the hard stuck golds who cant even kill a bastion (one of the weakest dps’s in game). shameful

now i know 3 and 4 dont look like things future-tech AI would handle, but you see at that point why not use such powerful tech too make your own decisions.

its almost like theres not a problem with the MMR system and its just a bunch of bad players complaining because they cant handle the fact they arnt good at a video game.

naaa its blizzards fault.

… are you serious right now? :rofl:
You are going to use Season 1, where literally there was NO history of matches or an actual MM Rating for players because … it didnt EXIST before?

You are going to complain, using an example of the release of the NEW system that uses history and previously tracked matches of competitive to judge and make matches … where there was LITERALLY nothing of that?

Again, thanks for exposing yourself again. If anyone had doubts before, this is ultra clear right now. For the record:
No Matchmaker system remains unchanged over the years and certainly they do NOT work with amazing precision on day 1.

Also really cool that it maybe happened 1 match out of 50, but because that proofs your point, we are to conveniently forget, the INSANELY LOW % of those matches were “the MM screws up” in compared to those in which it works fine/perfect.

OK dude :+1:

Lets see if reiteration works:
Read.About.How.The.Matchmaker.Works.

Are you serious?

You thought I was talking about levels. The disparate rating difference among teams has always existed in OW in competitive. It has absolutely nothing to do with population. The matchmaker allows too much difference, that’s why it happens. If they restricted the grouping within matchmaking to people within 100 SR of each other, it would be far more better games than when you get a low gold player thrown into your game because he queued with someone closer to your own rating and then some people at higher rating are thrown into the game as well.

They really need to stop prioritizing people playing with friends above quality of the games.

3 Likes

nah you are just bad at the game so if your losing more than 3 games ina row take a break and come back stop baby raging at blizz it hurts everyones soul

If it won’t allow such huge difference, queue times would skyrocket. Especially with tanks, where it’s hard to find players as is.

Better that than just plainly one-sided stomp games.

The ignorance and stupidity in this thread… especially some of the responsens… are really saddening.

The truth is, that Blizzard really cannot fix it. Elo wasn’t designed for games, in which you can queue in any format.
Elo was designed for 1v1, but it can also work properly if it only finds you opponents… as in you create a team and you’re allowed to queue as full premade only…
As in… it’s good at matching units… be it 1v1 or full premade vs full premade.

As to the loss streaks, while they can be attributed to bad luck, it is very possible they can be result of the personal performance factor severely affecting your matchmaking rating (you know, the rating, which you do not see).

The entire idea of the personal performance factor in this game is ill conceived.
I can only explain it with an analogy of how DPS works in MMO raids.
Imagine you’re a bad DPS and you’re only focusing on doing DPS rather than avoid dying to fire.
In any proper guild nobody cares about your DPS. They care about your damage done. If you do amazing DPS, but always die 30 seconds into the encounter and in the end your damage done is nothing and you haven’t properly contributed towards the win, you’d get loot banned and eventually kicked from the guild.
Instead, in Overwatch, stat hunting gets rewarded rather than being punished. You artificially raise your MMR though stat hunting, you get more points for a win and less for a loss… especially in earlier seasons, it was allowing people to be high ranked with 40/60 win loss ratio, which is ridiculous.
While it’s not as blatant now, it’s still stupid and ill conceived.

This can be fixed in a pretty simple fashion… the personal performance factor should be removed from the formula, that affects your matchmaking rating.

But again, the game should switch from being Elo based to something else… or if the system is to remain Elo based, then the game should force you to create a team and stick to said team, rather than allow you to queue in any format.

That is what would really fix the issue, but Blizzard would never do it, because the outcry from ignorant individuals would be massive.

1 Like

Love how people thro “ThE OnLy coNStaNt iS yOu” when someone mentions losing streaks. Sure, it makes sense… if you play a 1v1 game. There is only so much improving yourself can do. You can be god-tier, but if your Reaper calls “gg” in match chat before the first round even ends and in the next they and two others just hide to emote (this seriously happened), you’re probably not gonna win.

Also, no, OW won’t collapse. The PvE is gonna carry it for few years more, especially with new chapters as DLC (cause you know that’s coming).

2 Likes

I’d hardly call this an E-sports title. Sorry.

where are the OFFICIAL regulations to this game on how to play?

• No PRE GAME message on player conduct.
  • No pre game message on how to SCORE Higher SR.
  • No Hardware requirement standards released to the public or players.
  • The “League” is HOSTED by the company.
  • No Statistician graph on the player’s outcome of performance to determine their SR.

When I see e-sports. I see it as various events hosted by different organizations. A company that host their own game as the only sporting event is NOT a “league”. Sorry.

Im use to seeing actually seeing and viewing actual “professional gamers” at events. Not “this”.

ie. Games Done Quick, ESA, Netwars, and various Lan Fest events. Which are NOT hosted by the company :wink: .

most of the time thats because theyre queuing with someone, so you have to balance letting people play together. personally wouldnt want large sr differences but you cant really do that because casuals

There is not and will never be a matchmaking system that can account for player skill variability and teammates. The best you can hope for is that it goes out in the wash after you play enough games (which it will… eventually).

If that doesn’t satisfy you then I guess you’d better find a different hobby.

Not the match makers fault, they have to put these people somewhere

They wont do that because most people dont have teams and would quit. If they said you have to form a six stack or leave then a lot of customers would choose the latter

All of these things can happen to the enemy team too, and if you’re not among them, are more likely to happen to the enemy team. It’s a net zero, if not a gain. Those things are bad and lower the quality of the game significantly, but they do not affect your winrate or SR.

The terrible netcode is partly to blame, even if balanced teams are placed against each other, it means nothing if one team is handicapped with a proportion of their actions having the no-hit-reg desync issue.

You also get those times where you are winning, the lightning bolt+3 boxes appear for brief moment and suddenly one team all just die at the same time.

I am sure a lot of you have never experienced this, grats on not being crippled by blizzards amateur netcode.

All of these things cause you to lose matches which negatively impacts both your win rate and SR. Did you even read what you just wrote? Let me paraphrase it. “Losing games doesn’t affect your win rate.” It’s only a net zero if those things happen to the enemy team in the same game that it is happening to me. Guess what? That doesn’t happen.