Losing FPS with GPU overclock

Hello,
I just wanted to ask you guys if you have experienced anything similar. I have a GTX 1060 6gb with 3200mhz ram and a 8600K overclocked to 5ghz. I really wanted constant 300 FPS so I tried to over clock my GPU, and the result was fluctuating FPS in the ranges of 220-250fps, often with some stutters and even lower FPS. When I removed the overlock my FPS became way more stable 250fps (capped at 250 atm).
I overclocked with MSI afterburner. Any comment will be appreciated!

sounds like you are over overclocking your gpu memory. When you clock your gpu core too high you will get artifacts and or crashes. When you clock your memory too high it may not always crash or artifact, sometimes you just get worse performance. This is due to the overclocking causing too many errors and the memory is spending more time fixing the errors instead of working on the game.
Another possible reason is heat. Pascal is very sensitive to heat compared to the older models due to gpu boost 3.0. Your gpu will START to throttle at ~60 degree’s and every 5 or so degree’s you loose clock speed. when you overvolt and overclock high enough, after a time your heat may go up high enough for your gpu to downclock lower then stock.

Stable 300 fps is kind of hard to get in overwatch, If you can get stable 240 fps with reduced buffering on, it will be the same or better experience for input lag, unless you are going for 300 fps due to fast sync with a 144hz monitor i can understand that as well.

same problem as you.
Im running at 1440p everything at Low but texture at High on my 240hz monitor and I have 250 fps sometimes drop to 210.

When I overclocked I got 170fps…weird.

I remember an Old error message when trying to launch Overwatch with a GPU overclocked saying that overclock is not supported please remove and launch the game again. Found on official website that Blizzard don’t want to manage technical issues with people overclocking since its not Blizzard’s fault if you get in-game problem while overclocking.

But now that message don’t appear again…my game start with no problem but I do notice low fps.

I have a theorie: some people were able to launch the game and bypassing the old error message. So Blizzard might have removed the message but punish your in-game performance so you’ll remove the overclock anyway.

I read the answer of Gelectrode, which is way more technical than mine. I think his answer might be the real answer. Mine is just a theory based on experience I had.

Hope I helped somehow