Looking for Opinions on SLI in Overwatch

In 1920x1080 going to 970 SLI on the same Z97 motherboard and an unexceptional locked processor that is bested by more recent i5 processors I experienced a big fps boost without noticing any stutters. You can experience a bottleneck with a Hero IX motherboard and an overclocked to 5ghz 7700k as I have (1080 gpu vs 2080 ti), that doesn’t mean you know what you’re talking about.

Have you tried disabling HPET?

Are you asking me?fadsfasdfasd

1 Like

Sure why not, but literally everybody should turn this off.

I’m wondering whether you’re remarking on a cpu bottleneck with a 7700k. We’re also talking about 300 fps here, 240 fps+.

Actually meant to reply to the original poster, but a lot of people have benefited from it, because it’s a big and completely unnecessary CPU bottleneck.

htt ps://ww w.ana ndtech. co m/show/12678/a-timely-discovery-examining-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-results/3

[The engineers recommend that] as far as benchmarking is concerned, it should not matter whether or not HPET is enabled or not. There may be some applications that may not function as advertised if HPET is disabled, so to be safe, keep it enabled, across all platforms. Whatever you decide, be consistent across platforms.

That’s from Intel. And what does this have to do with the poster’s SLI question?

If it’s still a feature in SLI (was one back when I ran 560 Ti SLI, but think I heard somewhere that it was removed), I’d probably suggest using the second card for AA. Bad frame-times and artifacts are common problems when running SLI, which probably would have a pretty unpleasant effect on OW.

I noticed no irregularity in Overwatch, just a much better fps.

Z97 is unlikely to bottleneck him much, I can still get 100+ FPS on a stock 2600k.

A bottleneck you’d have to test with better gpus- if there’s a bottleneck the better gpu, or the second gpu, won’t do much.

SLI/CF-X performance and issues vary vastly between different PCs.

I’m using a 1060 6GB, a 960 setup will not be bottlenecked by a 4th gen CPU.

What’s the performance of a 1060 vs a 960? If the price is similar it could be the safer buy, especially if the person can sell his or hers 960.

1060 6GB (3GB version is something like 10% lower due to a lower core count) is within 5% of a 980 IIRC, so there’s a pretty big diff.
If he can get one at a similar price, then yes, I’d recommend it.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a 1070 may be close in price too. No clue. Might be too recent though. I actually bought a used 770 on Amazon for the same price as a 970 when the 970 came out, fortunately I was able to return it. Prices are very weird. Hell, what do 980s go for?

Last I checked the 1070s were about twice the price of the 1060s lol
980s can be found second-hand sometimes for around 100€, depends on the sellers.

Should be no bottleneck as far as I know.

Currently running an i5-4690 (soon to be an i7-4790) and 16gb 1833mhz DDR3.

Very little to be honest, from benchmark tests and some research into the subject, I can squeeze a bit more life out of the 960 and the 4th gen intel processors by doing a few second hand upgrades.

I’ll get to a higher performance card eventually, but I’m going to stick with budget increases until then.

—-

To everyone else, everything I’ve read (and I’ve seen very little) shows an increase in performance in OW, not a decrease

Performance may increase, but SLI can be both unreliable and unstable. You’re probably better off selling your card and getting a 970/980 second-hand instead if you want to improve the performance.

Note: This can vary a ton between different machines, you may end up crashing all the time, or you could end up having much better performance and no crashes at all. My personal experience with multi-gpu setups has been pretty bad, however.

Sli’d a set of 980ti, 1080tis and crossfired R9 280s
Performance improved on all of them(@ higher res. no actual change at my normal settings, perf on 280 did improve in both cases) and wasn’t stuttery except on the 280s.(extremely bad)

Noticeable input delay which is why I ended up just using a single card.(and it didn’t get me a stable 240fps minimum which is the reason I dbled up in the first place)

If you’re gaming competitively I wouldn’t rec doing 2 cards but if you’re trying to run a higher res monitor and don’t mind some input delay then go for it.

And single 280 was maxed out at 1080p so you’ll def. see a bump going sli since the 280 and 960 perform similarly.

First of all what settings are you running? You could probably benefit from lowering certain ones without losing any significant visual quality if your running things on high or ultra.

There are some settings that literally provide little to no noticable change in visuals yet drop performance considerably.

I know you’re asking for hardware suggestions but at least in OW you might not need new parts.