LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

Ok so I here is a bit of the summary i did when brainstorming the lore tonight :

The Archives missions are in this order :

Retribution (8 years ago) Blackwatch mission to arrest Antonio - Mission failed and Blackwatch is exposed to the world.

Uprising (7 years ago) - Mission led by the Overwatch Strike team - Blackwatch is suspended atm.

Storm Rising : (7 to 6 years ago*?) before the fall, and before Doomfist arrest (in his Origin story) - pretty close to the fall of Overwatch. Itā€™s probably after Reinhardt forced ā€œretirementā€.

Genji probably have his knew cybernetic body (the default one, we can see in Doomfist Origin Story) and was transferred to Overwatch (we saw him training with Tracer in Uprising comic when BW was suspended)

Iā€™d say itā€™s after Anaā€™s death, because the Overwatch agent talking, Sojourn, seemā€™s pretty high in Overwatch hierarchy, and itā€™s not Ana. This kind of mission should be more of a Blackatch mission, but BW probably never trully recover from Venice mission. It should be McCree who should get the intell they are looking for. But maybe McCree already left Overwatch, and we know he was still there looking for Ana.

Anyway, the important part is that Maximilien probably brought the distillery (because of the Omnic ā€œrebrandā€, it seems) and later the fort - hence why they are going in Cuba, either to arrest Maximilien, or to get some dirt on him and pressure him to give them intell on Doomfist to have something agaisnt him and arrest him. Or steal it.

Maybe the team is going to have some special skin for this mission? Are we going to fight Talon agents or Omnics?

Iā€™m pretty excited about it, I canā€™t wait to play it!!!

1 Like

You stream? Iā€™d be happy to check it out! Or does that go against some forum rule about advertising?

Yes, I do, but itā€™s in french because Iā€™m french ^^ and didnā€™t think about breaking the rules when I wrote it because I was still pretty excited about my evening! Iā€™ll eddit that just in case, I donā€™t want to be ban from the forums just when this event is about to start!

Ooooooo wait it was already in there, my bad!
But yeah the extent of my understanding of french is that dexters lab clip, so I probably wouldnā€™t be the best audience.

ā€œOmelette du fromageā€ right?

1 Like

Yup.
Like.,I have to actively use a translator lol.

This was a big surprise tbh! I didnā€™t expect them to have a completely unknown senior officer handling missions. Youā€™re right, maybe it is after Ana went missing. And McCree is currently looking for her so he isnā€™t available for the mission if heā€™s even doing public missions, considering Retribution. Genji clearly got a suit change so maybe they can pass him off as someone else.

Iā€™m actually interested to see what they do with Genji because Iā€™m kinda confused. Heā€™s still with Overwatch even though heā€™s supposed to leave at some point before he fall. Hell, it was always sort of implied that he left as soon as he dealt with the clan, because that was the agreement between him and Overwatch. So now, Iā€™m justā€¦ underwhelmed that heā€™ll be in the mission again. Because, thereā€™s no way that he changed as a person? Since he only changes after meeting Zenyatta. And he meets Zenyatta after he leaves. So is this going to be same old edgy, quiet, non-responsive Genji just in a different suit? Because if not, then how? If only Zenyatta had any lore, wow!

Iā€™m kinda hoping that Mercy might get some lore. It would be cool if she were the POV character, like McCree was for Retribution, but I doubt it. Tracer will be that probably, sheā€™s leading her first mission. It seems like Mercy will be a side character with nothing going for her again, which is really disappointing. Blizzard, prove me wrong.

2 Likes

We will know in a week for the timeline, but right now, Anaā€™s death if a big question. Maybe the mission is before, maybe not. After all, they can give us new Captains, I highly doubt Ana and Reinhardt were the only ones.

We know that Genji helped with Doomfist arrest, so he probably left Overwatch soon after that event. Genji probably wonā€™t be that edgy and quiet, if 2 years have passed between the two misions. In BW Retribution, he probably didnā€™t have his cyborg body for that long.

I have high expectations for the interractions between the Strike team, I hope theyā€™ll be as good as in Retribution : it may be one of Winston first missions, if he is Reinhardt replacement for this mission. And Tracer leading the Strike team for the first time seems very promising too!

If only T^T

And I keep my finger crossed, because I really want a comic to go along this mission like the other years :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Yeah, I expect some changes, but not too much. Because the majority of his changes came with Zenyatta (at least from what we know now). I also have high expectations (and also standards) for this, I would love it if they manage to give him the subtle hints of changes heā€™ll later undergo, but also still keep his issues that made him seek help in the first place. Iā€™m excited for it, but also a bit confused and worried because we get these big lore drops so rarely. If something ends up being messed up or not cleared up, who knows how long weā€™ll wait for clarification.

Iā€™m also not going to accept not getting comic. Thatā€™s a must. Comic or another short story even. I just want Archives missions to have that extra bit of detail and fleshing out.

1 Like

Same! A comic is kind of tradition for every Archives. Itā€™d be weird if they didnā€™t had one.

1 Like

I feel so bad not being hype for this event. Not even hype for the next two heroes, which will definitely be Echo + JQ or that lady from the teaser (I only really care about new male heroes, sorry not sorry but yeah we ainā€™t getting a new dude this year anymore). The only thing Iā€™m looking forward to anymore this year is comics and cinematics.

I think Iā€™m honestly just not interested in Overwatch anymore. How sad.

Itā€™s really whatever to me too to be honest.

But I guess I can be a little glad that something is coming at the least.

My hype for this event is also low. Iā€™m trying to find some part to be especially interested in. Thatā€™s mostly why Iā€™m focusing on Genji, Iā€™m interested in his path to the Genji we know now. Iā€™m also interested in whether or not Mercy will get any significant personal development or if weā€™ll know more about Tracer and Emily.

But as far as Overwatch missions and history goesā€¦ Iā€™m just not all that hyped. I have no doubt it will be fun and insightful, but it will never top Retribution and I just have low hype for Overwatch stuff lately.

Maybe Genji might talk about Hanzo more since heā€™s in a better condition.

1 Like

A foolā€™s hope, but Iā€™ll hope nonetheless.

While Iā€™m not personally invested, the only thing Iā€™m hoping for is Tracer and Emily getting just a little bit of development one way or another. Iā€™m sure thatā€™ll make a LOT of people happy, and Iā€™m rooting for that, since Soldier will remain a boyfriendless sad gay who will die alone hhahahahahaha.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering if the Storm Rising event has rainstorm/windstorm effects happening during battle.

Possibly, maybe something like the levelution gimmick in BF4.

That appears to be the trajectory.
Googles ā€œhow to get hired as a writer when you not good at the englsih languaegā€

I get why (because archives) but I wish archives did story related stuff from non overwatch-organization stuff. Are we supposed to never play D.Va? Zenyatta? Etc?

2 Likes

Hopefully they can start expanding to other characters later and redefine what ā€œArchivesā€ is.

I always got the feeling they needed to show Genjiā€™s mid-progression from BW to OW since it was always in the character bios that Mercy/Zen helped but never depicted.

1 Like