LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

I couldnā€™t decide between Bapzo and Baptanzo, so now we have both.
And same.

1 Like

Real talk, Baptiste makes me feel like a idiot for a lot of reasons, so I apologize to anyone I argued with on this thread.

1 Like

I donā€™t follow any non-NSFW artists on twitters but now I have to find all the Baptiste fanart going forward because thatā€™s how in love I am with him. For some reason that makes me anxious hahahahaā€¦

I do not foresee a shortage in that regard, so take heart in that! lol

1 Like

Not that this is in any way shocking, but Chu has confirmed that they havenā€™t thought about Baptiste being LGBTQ in detail yet, as they are still working on his story. This of course doesnā€™t mean yes or no, but donā€™t expect a confirmation, not that any of us were expecting it.

Hmmm, interesting.
Donā€™t tempt me to get back on my soapbox lol, but honestly Baptiste would be amazing for representation. A black man and a man who made bad choices yet made himself into a redeemed hero, plus he is prime for a happy ending.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to debate because I completely agree. He hits all the right spots for good representation.

1 Like

I can see him as a dude that swings both ways the only other character I can also see swing both ways is Sombra

It honestly would be a fairly big mistake not to make him representation, the only thing I would do is maybe have it be revealed in a few months as opposed to a few years.

Hmmm, Bap I wouldnā€™t have a problem with, but Sombra strikes me as most of the bad female bi stereotypes that exist rolled into one character, personally.

I brought up Sombra because I think she has a thing for both Reaper and Widow tbh.

I see, I still see a lot of bad stereotypes in making her bi, personally.

I donā€™t think Blizzard has any intentions to reveal anything in a long time.

But I honestly think, from the little weā€™ve seen, he is an excellent contender. I think at this point I wouldnā€™t want anyone else to be revealed bi but him, preferably with a boyfriend because they are never going to do anything with Soldier 76 being gay, or for that matter releasing Vincent or his husband as a hero, so Baptiste having a boyfriend would allow for at least one instance of a positive m/m relationship that is acknowledged in the lore.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, and thatā€™s fair.
But NOW ITā€™S SOAPBOX TIME. (I wish there was a spoiler option so I could hide it for people not interested, tbh)
I suppose Iā€™m just stuck in this fantasy/ā€œI think I know better than Chuā€ state.
Like, Baptiste is would be INCREDIBLE as gay rep, but as bi rep heā€™s merely the best option available. Again, it depends how they portray him, but in any case all he can be is just as good bi as gay, in my mind.
Compared to Jack, who wouldā€™ve broken so many stereotypes as a bi man. Especially the stereotype that we are merely going from partner to partner. Iā€™ve floated this idea before, but Jack carrying two pictures of two seperate people (he is carrying a stack of photoā€™s, after all) he cared about over his life would be a great way to have bisexual rep. Itā€™s rare that bisexual men are portrayed as being in love/hung up, which bites.
Whereas making Baptiste bi, you could have that same idea but it would be much harder to do and convey effectively, same with most other characters in the roster. Itā€™s easier to portray bisexuality tastefully with past relationships, imo.
Baptiste being gay frees you up to do so much more in the way of positive rep, namely the happy ending aspectā€¦ He could have a significant other who he is committed too, maybe itā€™s his first and only love (Iā€™ve gotten criticism for the idea of having bisexual characters have different sex/gendered partners in their past, but my justification is that with that there is no real way to simply say ā€œOh heā€™s just gay/straightā€) and he could be fighting for that significant other, in the same way that Tracer fights for Emily. Again, a very positive m/m relationship, and better than that one that could end in fluff.
But thatā€™s passed at this point, so I agree that Baptiste is really the best bi male option.
TL; DR - Baptiste being bi is the best in a ehhhhhh situation for representation.

Interesting soapbox, and some interesting points. I can see where you are coming from with Soldier 76, and how heā€™d be great bi representation, if only because of how easy and convenient it would be for Jack to carry pictures of his past loves. It just would be an easy painless way the ā€˜ā€™ rip the bi reveal bandaid ā€˜ā€™ without much fuzz.

And Bap would be glorious gay representation as well, ESPECIALLY since we have two homosexual (male and female) characters who are whitey whitersons, couldnā€™t be more white. And while that is not a bad thing by any means, it does strike as a bit odd. But they can still release LGBT poc characters, thereā€™s no doubt about it.

But what is done is done, and itā€™ll probably take years and years and years for Baptiste to get more lore to begin with, and whatā€™s done with Soldier 76 is done. Whatever.

For me, I donā€™t really care about the label, and while I really want exclusively gay male characters, I think that doesnā€™t mean much to me, because Iā€™d rather have excellent depictions of male x male relationships that are positive, whether those two men are bi, gay or bi and gay, rather than sad mopey gays and offscreen irrelevant gays who are allegedly happy. Labels donā€™t matter, I just want that good male x male feel-good romance, gay chicken soup for the gay soul.

But I think for Overwatch, we wonā€™t be seeing this, definitely not in near future, and possibly not even in distant future. And itā€™s okay, there are other media that will ā€˜ā€™ do better ā€˜ā€™ than Overwatch, even if I hoped that Overwatch would deliver like the Gay Gods they pretend they are (I joke, but nevertheless).

1 Like

I agree 100%, reducing the stigma that exists against male/male relationships helps both gay and bi men.
I suppose I view bi male representation as important because so often we have our existence questioned, or as I said, viewed in skewed ways. Not to say that does not apply to gay men, but I feel that it hasnā€™t really been challenged with bi men. I agree that culture needs to depict m/m relationships more positively.
To me it feels like Chu is doing representation in a way that has become outdated. Like, making Jack gay would be great representation about 5 to 10 years ago, but when Steve Cortez, Shiro and Raymond Holt have been around for years, he feels dated/safe, especially compared to Baptiste.

1 Like

I can understand wanting specifically bi male representation. I honestly canā€™t name many western bi male characters outside of Bioware games (though I canā€™t name many gay male characters outside of BW either). Though Iā€™m sure especially western comics have tons of them.

I feel like the twist about the most vanilla, stereotypically masculine, kind of boring and dull, character being gay is a bit overdone, but that is not really an attack on gay characters, but western tropes in general. MOST CHARACTERS especially in gaming will fall in extremely gendered tropes. And itā€™s also worth mentioning that rarely do gay characters get to evolve as gay characters. Not only that, but itā€™s good to keep in mind that A LOT of gay men specifically enjoy masculine men, so that probably factors into character designing.

1 Like

me logging onto Battle.net to update this PTR ā„¢

Oh yeah also Iā€™m on the PTR and wow they ACTUALLY gave a male character cakes. Blizzard never does this.

Also he seems to speak Haitian Creole! Playing around rn but def says ā€œBonjouā€ and ā€œBonswaā€!

Played him a bit, heā€™s fun. Like, potentially broken AF, but fun. I canā€™t hit anything with primary because hitscan is alien to me, but as far as healing goes, thatā€™s pretty good. You hit one aoe heals + 2-3 bombs and everybody is topped up.

Watching my whole team tank a D.va bomb with my immortality field: ā€œYou want a bandage for that? :3ā€

Heā€™s really charming. Great voice and he looks really good in-game.

I canā€™t see him not being hated for his abilities though. His E can literally counter all ultimates (except EMP). Thatā€™s a yikes.

1 Like

oh yay another counter for D.Vaā€™s ult.