LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

yeah but the fact that people went for THAT depiction is weird. like you can say because heā€™s younger so more innocent but alot of people donā€™t portray reaper or ana like that so its kinda strange.

1 Like

ā€œClueless idealistic farmboyā€ trope. He was described as ā€œsalt of the Earthā€ in very first lore bits we got. So one can argue itā€™s canon. As opposed to Gabe so was immediately established as someone more assertive, a ā€œsenior officerā€, etc.

1 Like

I feel like a lot of writers and fanartists really, really, REALLY try their damned hardest not to write very stereotypically masculine, serious men, whether itā€™s because they donā€™t like them or feel they are boring and overrepresented. They have to go out of their way to soften them up one way or another, sometimes it works, often times it is just not either canon-compliant or feels a bit transparent, and cringy to boot.

3 Likes

Itā€™s what Mechavomit said, but Iā€™ll also be that person who will say thereā€™s a lot of stereotypes going on in fandoms. Specifically racial stereotypes. Itā€™s fairly obvious with interracial ships.

Jack tends to fall into a ā€œshy and pure white guyā€ and Gabe is the ā€œassertive aggressive man of colour.ā€ Which is yikes. As Mechavomit said, thereā€™s some canon explanation for this, but people usually go out of their way to exaggerate these points and offer no nuance beside them so I just have to not touch some content from creators that act like this. Jackā€™s idealism and Gabeā€™s experience can be portrayed without making the content feel vaguely racist.

Pharmercy and mchanzo/mcgenji suffer from the same thing, and Iā€™m pretty sure others as well, theyā€™re just not as popular so I donā€™t see as much stuff about it.

6 Likes

As a bi woman, I think it would be nice to eventually have a character who falls on the ā€œspectrumā€. Someone who isnā€™t gay/lesbian, but isnā€™t straight, either.

Widowmaker and Brigitte give me lots of bi vibes. Imo it would be nice to see one of them as examples of non-straight feminine women.

Btw I really like that Soldier is gay. I know people associate him with stereotypes, but Iā€™ve never seen him as particularly straight.

1 Like

how would you reveal them as bi?

Welcome to our thread and to the forum! :rainbow:

1 Like

someone made a thread to ā€œlet people ship what they wantā€ because theyā€™re mad people donā€™t want people shipping jack with women. and like its kinda sad people think ā€œletting people ship what they wantā€ is more important than gay representation.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw that. Considered replying to explain why the LGBT community might be upset over people seeing one (1) gay man rep and turning a blind eye to it, but decided it wouldnā€™t be worth the effort.

Obviously, this isnā€™t such a huge boogeyman, but itā€™s also pretty annoying that this is the moment where weā€™re apparently removing ā€œdouble standards.ā€ I mean, first remove the double standard of gay rep being 1% and straight rep being 99% and then we can talk. When weā€™re both equal, then you can HC a singular gay character as straight. Until then, itā€™s just kinda crappy.

2 Likes

I honestly like the fandom padding people gave them. With more lore coming out, I see almost no ā€œvaguely racistā€ boring stereotypey stuff anymore.

While young Jack is still clueless and idealistic, young Gabe is sarcastic and funny. I personally donā€™t associate those with stereotypes at all.

Yeah, to be fair, fandom content has gotten largely better over time. All the new details weā€™ve learned helped and also people learned how to avoid harmful stereotypes.

I see it far less these days in comparison. Iā€™m pretty sure fandom criticism helped, which showcases how important it is to not let bad things slide just because itā€™s fandom content and not professional content. Of course, criticism only works if itā€™s delivered properly. Yelling at people anonymously and telling them to kill themselves over a fanfic isnā€™t exactly something that helps.

1 Like

I might be a bit of a devilā€™s advocate but I do enjoy seeing men being vulnerable/soft when appropriate. Mostly because I donā€™t always enjoy toxic masculine depictions. Thatā€™s how I am with Hanzo. He is stubborn and all that but Iā€™d love to see him develop healthier relationships and eventually reconcile with Genji.

2 Likes

oh noone saying thats bad. weā€™re just saying using it with jack specifically is weird

1 Like

Same! I enjoy interpreting Hanzoā€™s future in a way where he learns how to relax and that not being constantly alert and ready is okay. He really needs some peace in his life and pushing him into a toxic masculine personality is doing a disservice to him as a character.

Even with Hanzo though, people often exaggerate too much to the point where I canā€™t look at it in any way except seeing stereotypes. Itā€™s all a matter of presentation and how well something is written. Sometimes I canā€™t ignore the patterns I see and with Hanzo, thereā€™s plenty of them.

As with anything, if a story aims to have impact, it has to present characters as people and it has to give them an opportunity to breathe and change. Depicting Hanzo as someone who embraces vulnerability and softness in some situations is amazing if we can also see him in his usual self. In that case, giving him those moments where he can be different has meaning. You can see how situations change him in a realistic way and it means more. Thatā€™s probably my favourite thing I can see in a fanfic; when someone as guarded and dismissive as him eventually learns how to change and be more accepting of company and soft.

What I donā€™t like is when thereā€™s nothing to contrast it. When someone just warps him so much into a person he really isnā€™t and never shows any other aspect of him. With Hanzo it goes into both extremes: heā€™s either a fragile shy inexperienced doll or heā€™s a cruel abusive bastard. I donā€™t know whatā€™s up with Hanzo specifically that triggers these ideas in writing, but I donā€™t like it. Itā€™s not only bad writing, itā€™s lowkey offensive. Itā€™s like some people have no capacity of writing a normal human being who behaves differently based on experiences, situations and emotions and never changes.

The point is, writing requires nuance and care that a lot of people donā€™t understand. Writing is hard and many donā€™t seem to recognise that.

2 Likes

Oh yeah I definitely agree. Itā€™s good to have that kind of balance so heā€™s more well-rounded.

Thatā€™s probably my favourite thing I can see in a fanfic; when someone as guarded and dismissive as him eventually learns how to change and be more accepting of company and soft.

I love seeing stuff like this.

1 Like

Iā€™d say just develop the story naturally and show the characterā€™s same-sex/opposite-sex attractions as the plot requires. House of Cards IMO is an excellent example of how bisexuality was handled. Frank, the protagonist, is introduced as a guy in a straight marriage and nobody expected to be revealed later on that he was romantically involved with a man during his college years.

I donā€™t think saying ā€œX character identifies as bi/gay/lesbianā€ on Twitter is the best way to handle the issue. I prefer it when the lore material speaks for itself; I donā€™t think a character being something other than straight should be reason to make an ā€œannouncementā€/official statement about their sexuality or anything of the sort, really.

I know this may sound like the kind of argument anti-LGBT folk use, but I just want to live in a world where non-straight sexuality isnā€™t treated as ā€œnewsā€. Where people will have an ā€œoh, ok, whateverā€ reaction when they get to know X character is into the same sex or into both sexes.

2 Likes

I agree 100%, although I dislike that Frank is playing into the ā€œdevious bisexualā€ trope. Outside of that, they did have a good reveal for it.
Just hate that Frank is evil.

I havenā€™t talked to anybody in this thread in so long I hope yall are doing well.

6 Likes

That game is so fun though. But mirage is the one who has my heart

Iā€™m surprised by how likable and personable the characters in this game are. At first hand I thought they looked extremely bland and meh but the voice acting is pretty freaking top tier! The robot, the masked person, Mirage and Gibraltar are all amazing!

I want to be sandwiched between Gibraltar and Mirage. Anyone else?

2 Likes