LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

I think Zarya would be a nice representation. I know a lot of people think of her as the stereotypical butch lesbian, but in truth, butch lesbian representation is actually extremely low and usually negative. So having a positive hero like that would be nice.

But yeah, it would also probably make people be nasty because of the perceived stereotype.

2 Likes

the thing about that is that, butch lesbians despite being seen as a sterotype are rarely seen in actual media at all. like try to name 10 canon butch lesbians. its hard.
and i know alot of lesbians that would love it if zarya was a lesbian, since sheā€™s a pretty cool and interesting character.

2 Likes

Yep, I see that a lot as being a huge stereotype, but if a butch is in any media (and thatā€™s a big IF), itā€™s usually painted in a bad light.

So I donā€™t really understand why do people have such strong feelings against butch portrayal. There isnā€™t much of it at all.

Rag Tagg found the lgbt lucio thread. Honestly heā€™s right on point with the initial post and points out plenty wrong with it. I wish this subject wasnt always dragged into social justice controversies though, and while I get that he just wants to play the game and doesnt care about this subject, it probably wouldve been better if he pointed out this is all in the story discussion part of the forums and not taking away from game discussion. Now heā€™s probably going to get a lot of people wanting him to cover this thread trying to troll us. Still love his videos though.

1 Like

The most ideal situation is that OW reveals their next LGBT character soon so we donā€™t have to keep speculating/theorizing. But unfortunately whenā€¦ is uncertain.

1 Like

It honestly probably wont be soon because of how big the backlash would be. The social justice crowd and the people opposed to it have made sure the subject is too controversial. As long as they dont take away the chance for it to be characters we enjoy, I suppose thatā€™s all we can hope for. Plus, this activision business has me concerned for just how much control blizzard even has anymore. Im not saying to give up hope. Just be patient.

1 Like

i honesty canā€™t respect someone who complains about ā€œsocial justiceā€ espcially considering his descriptions mentions him being in a ā€œwarā€ with ā€œpeople who crave social justiceā€ i canā€™t help find people like that gross.

1 Like

heā€™s not against us, heā€™s referring to something more specific than people who want gay characters.

anyone who uses ā€œsjwsā€ in a serious context is someone that canā€™t be trusted.

2 Likes

I honestly canā€™t really believe how many people didnā€™t understand the Lucio thread. The OP at least. Iā€™d expect Rag to get it, but he didnā€™t get it either and I guess the OP wasnā€™t 100% clear so thatā€™s on them, but I understood it and many others understood it so I donā€™t really get it.

People (Rag included) attacked the OP over something they never wanted to say. The point of the Lucio OP was that due to all the facts listed, he would be good representation. Not that he must be gay because of those traits and not because only gay people have those traits. It was simply to show that, due to all those positive qualities, Lucio would make a good gay man representation in this game, unlike some other character like letā€™s say Junkrat who is described in game as a crazy maniac and likes blowing people up. Obviously, a heroic revolutionary that fights for freedom is better as rep.

Why did so many misinterpret the point of the thread, I wonā€™t ever understand.

2 Likes

i actually really want junkrat to be gay because he has some gay coding, but i see what you mean.

itā€™s usually referring more to the kind of people who demonized stan lee after he died, for example.

i donā€™t think so. his reaction to hazhou spark having trans colors was in his own words ā€œDear Sjws these colors are sh*teā€

i wasnt talking about rag tagg with that description, just some people who use ā€œsjwā€ and their reasoning.

ok? the point iā€™m making is that your saying you still love his videos despite him having a thing against ā€œsjwsā€ and i think that its hard to respect a man who constantly makes fun of people wanting more representation.

Lucio would be okay as an LGBT rep. Maybe the OP didnā€™t really mention his reasons very well without considering there was a counter argument to it. But he did list positive reasons; not necessarily what defines an LGBT person I guess.

Yeah, in a better world, it would be kinda interesting to explore different types of people as LGBT. If we had more rep, it would be easier. Like this, weā€™ll likely only get one gay man and if they give us someone who might be read as offensiveā€¦ It wonā€™t go well. So theyā€™ll probably go with a safer option.

Iā€™d definitely like more varied representation in the future though.

If Iā€™m not mistaken, this was a part of a bigger thing he was a part of, when he criticised Asheā€™s Thorn skin for being pink. He basically just said he doesnā€™t like it and that he thinks it doesnā€™t fit her.

Then he was mindlessly attacked on twitter based on an out-of-context portion of the video by, what most people would label them as, ā€œsjwā€™s.ā€ Which is kinda silly because none of those people identified as such and Iā€™m completely on your side when it comes to people saying ā€œsjwā€ unironically, but basically, the attacks on him came from the typical twitter reactionary crowd and used the language usually used by people fighting for social justice.

He ended up solving this issue, the person that attacked him apologised and they worked things out in private which was nice. But I think he then turned it into a running joke how heā€™s that ā€œevil straight white man who hates pinkā€ so he made the joke about the Spark skins.

His jokes are sometimes hard to swallow and tend to be on the rude side, honestly. I usually donā€™t mind because heā€™s shown heā€™s just playing a persona most of the time and is actually a mostly decent dude, but I know his jokes and his persona can be off-putting. I can tolerate him to a certain degree, but I definitely disagree with his stuff often. Iā€™m glad he solved the twitter thing in a decent and adult way, but he has this running joke about hating pink which can be seen as an issue, especially if youā€™re not clued into the whole story.

Also especially if we consider that Spark skins have trans flag colours, which Iā€™m not even sure if heā€™s aware of that.

But yeah, itā€™s totally understandable to not like him.

2 Likes

i never liked the idea that because people have ā€œpersonasā€ it means they can say whatever they want. because alot of the stuff he says ā€œin his personaā€ is his own honest opinion and once your doing that it stops being a character and its just them.
is kind of like when people defend cinema sins for getting stuff wrong because ā€œtheyā€™re just comedyā€ even though if you look at their more serious reviews some of theyā€™re real life opinions bleed into cinemasins.

im personally hoping for more than 2 gay characters, even though its not that likely.

you wrote what i meant by most of this.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m with you on this.

I can understand that these people are entertainers and everything, which is fine. But sometimes, some things should probably be clarified because theyā€™re a sensitive topic.

Iā€™m giving Rag a free pass for now mostly because he did later clarify it all in a video and even included his own story of how people stereotyped him all his life for his singing voice and doubting and mocking his masculinity so heā€™s more than aware of what it feels like to be attacked for something he canā€™t really control.

But at the end of the day, it often reads like ā€œI have an angry persona for entertainment purposes and I can attribute anything I say to that.ā€ At one point, who will be able to tell if heā€™s being genuine or not? For now, he does seem to be okay when heā€™s not playing that persona, but you know. At some point, if he changes his mind, he can just say whatever and then excuse it with the persona thing.

Itā€™s something to look out for if you follow any content creator, tbh.

Same. Maybe we might get gay and bi at least, but yeah. Unlikely. At least before weā€™re at 50 heroes or more.