LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

Yeah, D.Va could have such an interesting story but they’ve just completely ignored her… it’s so sad…

Ah, like flashbacks? That could work.

It starts with Lucio in the present on a vigilante mission, does an extended flashback of growing up in a favela, seeing his dad be slighted by Vishkar, and later stealing back the tech. Then it goes back to the present just in time for the mission to be a success and Lucio to narrate with something like “it’s all worth it” or something deep. Hire me blizzard

2 Likes

YES! Blizzard please

I don’t care who an Overwatch hero likes to have emotional or sexual intercourse with. I don’t even think a single hero has been confirmed as actually heterosexual, but only having partners of the opposite gender. I wouldn’t get very hyped to know what gender someone’s partner is, or what preferences they have. I find it natural. It’s just the fact that people make a big deal about it that pisses me off. Why would you be more or less happy to know their sexuality? Because you can relate to them in another way? I don’t see that.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not trying to dismiss anything, just giving my own two cents as I have the right to do so. Doesn’t matter what category you want to put me in.

5 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/here-is-why-people-care-about-lgbt-heroes/134826

This should be able to help you understand what representation is about for many of us.

We understand Blizzard will come about it organically, but that doesn’t mean they won’t listen to us on specific things regarding said aspects of their character.

Edit: Above, I also hinted at my own experiences of acceptance as someone that is bisexual, and I have very similar reason for why I would like it, but I’m not going to demand it, and nor is anyone else doing so.

4 Likes

This thread and the people who are in it trying to make fun of the lgbt community are seriously harboring issues.

2 Likes

It’s just the fact that people make a big deal about it that pisses me off.

Yes, homophobes do make a big deal about sexuality. That is why we make a big deal about it, and our struggles that stem from homophobic behavior.

Just because you find it natural (which it is), and harbor no ill-intent towards LGBT, this opinion isn’t widespread globally. While it would be wonderful to live in a society where LGBT is thought as natural and normal, with no homophobia in sight, we do not live in that world, and that’s why LGBT is loud, as they should be.

Representation is a tool to get to the goal of normalized LGBT, a world where threads like these don’t need to happen, and where your post doesn’t need to happen, where my post doesn’t need to happen. A world where posts about ‘’ we need representation ‘’ are as weird as ‘’ you don’t need representation. ‘’ But if you think we are anywhere near that kind of a world, idk what to tell you. And if you think to get to that world LGBT should keep silent and quiet and ‘’ wait ‘’ for the majority to accept us, then that’s pretty dumb as well.

8 Likes

I’m a trans male so I know all about that. I just don’t agree with the representation thing. Not at all. Same goes for many others in the community. They’re just, not as loud as the people who want it. I just hate the fact that people always assume everyone in the LGBT thinks the same and have the same views on life an society.

You know, I’d relate much more to a cis male than a trans person. That’s just how I feel.

1 Like

I knew people would assume I wasn’t a part of the LGBT. I don’t think it should change my argument, but I am. I don’t like the representation thing. I don’t want to be sliced into different categories. I’m just a guy, who happened to have a genetic condition called gender dysphoria, but that doesn’t change anything at all. That’s just my two cents.

2 Likes

Exactly, you just are. Why can’t characters in media just be gay or trans and for it to be just normal or regular?

6 Likes

I would like Blizzard to avoid including sexuality of any kind into this game. It’s unnecessary and cheap, and will be so no matter how well it is done.
Really not into the idea of a game I enjoy from a developer I have loved since my childhood turning into sexual diversity exposition, especially when this topic has no place in the game to begin with.

It’s too late now for no sexuality at all. And i don’t just mean tracer; Widow, Torb, Brigitte, Pharah, and Ana all have story elements related to sexuality

8 Likes

Being someone’s child has something to do with sexuality. Is that what you mean? :joy: I understand what you are trying to say, it’s just that the idea behind it is … just bizzare…

It is too late.
However they came out specificly to say Tracer was a Lesbian after the demands from the LGBT community.
The comic/story elements wasn’t enough, they needed it fully confirmed with a label slapped on.
They need to do the same for straight heroes if they want to go down that path.

and because of pressure they did it wrong

This again?

Again, if you are so concerned about Chu confirming heroes as straight I will take you to task on it. Ask him.

6 Likes

I agree they did it wrong.

Well, the kind of people they did it for LOVES labels. Of course they had to give it a label.

You are not a person if you don’t have one, silly.

I’m not a person? all my life…I have lived a lie :frowning:
I guess I’ll just be a Giraffe now.

PS: Giraffes are awesome…