LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread 🏳️‍🌈

I don’t care what the homophobes will have to say. It would be great to have more diversity. Love is love! :rainbow_flag:

2 Likes

Most likely. There’s always those players who keep moaning how: “Why u cater to a minority??? I mean, I had 3 m/f options while they had 1 m/m (or f/f) option but you should keep this game more realistic (translation: cater to me some more)!”
Reminds me of Dragon Age: Inquisition in which some straight dudebros started complaining how Sera should have been bi and not a lesbian because they did not find their 2 m/f options attractive enough. :roll_eyes:

Guess they also thought the exclusively m/m option Dorian was a waste of resources. Ugh. Dorian’s romance was my favorite in that game and I’m not even gay male myself (asexual female). I even know a straight man who ended up romancing Dorian.
It’s a freaking roleplaying game after all, more diverse options make them heaps better. I happily play different genders and sexualities and I think making characters not “player sexual” (like in DA2) gives them way more immersive qualities.

1 Like

They shouldn’t complain about this at all. Sera was hands down the most annoying romance option ever. Also they get to romance Cassandra who is for me easily the second best girl. I was so disappointed when I found out she wasn’t a bi option.

1 Like

The only time playersexuality works is when the romances are completely irrelevant (like in Skyrim) or when there are few romances that are REALLY IMPORTANT and add a lot to the story.

1 Like

with some of the recent news about it, it makes me wonder how cyberpunk is going to avoid this. they say they have gay/lesbian exclusive characters to interact with and romance, but in a recent interview (last 24 hours specifically) they confirmed they also made most of the game gender neutral despite what they said after the gender controversy saying otherwise, like that v would still be referred to by the players preferred pronouns. But in the new interview the dev seemed to have said that they removed pronouns. combined with how the character creator works im not too sure how they do this without a defined and contradictive stance on gender after all.
to clarify though since i dont want it taken the wrong way, im not talking about gender neutrality exactly or my stance on the recent controversies. Im just wondering how the game is going to work based on what we know and somehow not have “playersexual” like DA2. It’s just a lot of very conflicting information.

also, to keep on overwatch, has there been a patch in the last week or not? the new system for updates doesnt specify. at least not in a way ive noticed.

Yeah I’d be surprised if they haven’t scrapped their ‘’ exclusively gay ‘’ or for that matter ‘’ exclusively straight ‘’ romances, because this gender approach doesn’t really make sense for strictly gay/straight romances to exist. A freaking shame.

1 Like

I found this twitter post thread interesting. Maybe it’s been affecting the lack of LGBT rep in media lately.

I don’t know, it seems kind of mindboggling that an industry would slow down or hesitate on LGBT representation because of something like shipping discourse, when there are several other reasons LGBT representation isn’t happening.

But nevertheless shipping is completely meh to me, and it’s annoying to see people fight over something like that.

4 Likes

Can Genji be gay and Mercy transition to male and then the two of them hook up? That would be lore to die for.

1 Like

One of my favorite things to do in my constant battles with politicals is find questions that they can not answer. I’m all about the thrill of victory.

A question no right winger has ever been able to answer is how LGBT characters like Tracer and Lucio make Overwatch left wing propaganda, when guns don’t make it right wing propaganda. Only standards that are applied consistently can be valid after all.

1 Like

I just realized we didn’t get a new animated short. Wow, this game is dying, gg.

3 Likes

I’m transgender and support this

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I was waiting and waiting but apparently we’re down to one short per year. And the last one was purely about teasing a new waifu bait hero with no relevant lore (I don’t care about Echo until we find out who or what she is; she’s a blank slate currently and I have no interest. Naturally, in his own short, McCree didn’t get any lore, just got the lore we had established muddied #ForeverSaltyAboutReunion2k19).

I wanted to hope for a bigger short for Blizzcon, but I’m not sure if I should keep that hope up. I thought, if they skipped August short, maybe they have something longer and more important planned, but I’ve been clowned enough so I won’t bother hoping.

I can’t even find any enthusiasm to care about the lore or game anymore. If Blizzcon doesn’t deliver a huge ‘’ OH MY GOD ‘’ moment I… yeah. Not going to be good for OW.

I mean, I’m sure Blizzcon is going to have SOMETHING but if it’s worth all this silence, idk.

1 Like

It might change Mercy’s hitbox a bit but I don’t see why not.

1 Like

Genji’s getting an awesome new warcraft-themed skin locked behind a $50 paywall and despite their promise otherwise, we’ve still not gotten demon hunter sombra from last year’s blizzcon released. they said these would only be timed exclusives and yet weve never gotten any of the blizzcon skins released in all 3 years the game has been out. Im starting to get worried because of how things have been handled lately from blizz. especially with all the missed opportunities and focusing too much on league.

There are probably more heroes/ characters who are Queer in Overwatch.
1/10 people are LGBT+ so out of the hero cast it should be like 2-3 ish.

I feel like if blizzard is going to release new lore they would probably do a strait couple before anything because it would be more realistic. :rainbow_flag: :hearts:

probably why theyve been focusing on gency

1 Like

Honestly, I think they need more mini lore events like the Baptiste/Ana short stories, and the junkertown video. Even comics, it can’t take that much to have a salaried writer and artist work on it.

Even though a lot of us are aware of the lack of lore, content, etc. (we literally have pages and pages reiterating the same thing) is there a particular reason you guys still stick with Overwatch? Is it hope that we think Blizzard will do more with this series and their characters? More LGBT characters beside Jack? Or continuation on Jack’s lore?

1 Like