LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

i would agree, if anyones hero 31 im betting max or the null sector omnic we were shown.

Whyyy do people think Max is going to be a hero? He already has an icon which is unprecedented for a non-hero. Heroes always get an icon after being released.

I really donā€™t want Max as a hero. I like having non playable characters important to the lore like him, and itā€™s necessary.

3 Likes

my actual reasoning is that they gave him lines for the event that were used in the trailer that were unused in the event.

theline where he talks to someone about how everyone you know, everything you love can be bought and sold, the price of loyalty is always changingā€¦sounds like moiras intro in her [INTRODUCING] video. It sounds almost eerily like any of the talon heroes introducing videos, and it fits a lot better for that than it did for the event itself.

i agree with you, actually, that they fill the world out so that it has more life when theres more things to pick through

1 Like

Same here, like we need more characters that can be absolutely unambiguous.

Wouldnā€™t hold out for it tbh. Might be me being a pessimist tho.

I lowkey havenā€™t been playing Overwatch at all for a few months. Idk if itā€™s fatigue or more like none of my friends are playing it and Iā€™m occupied with WoW though lol

1 Like

Yeah, kinda the same here.
Stuff like Forza and Call of Chernobyl keeps me more engaged, but I still have fun playing OW with friends.

Iā€™m actually kind of the same. Weā€™re likely going to wait a long time. A year or even more.

At this point, itā€™s kind of best to accept OW is a game first before any lore?

2 Likes

You are probably right about that.
Still, sucks that weā€™re in this position.

Tbh it would be cool to create a new LGBT character rather than use the older ones.
I want something new and spicy

1 Like

Weā€™ve had this discussion before and a lot of the time people seem to disagree, but weā€™ve had 2 older characters be revealed as gay so I think a new character being LGBT at release, though of course revealing it tactfully, would be the way to go.

But itā€™s not going to happen unless they release Emily, Vincent, Vincentā€™s husband, Lynx or potentially Guillermo Portero or his ā€˜ā€™ partner ā€˜ā€™ Miguel.

On the one hand, you do avoid the blindsided ā€œargumentā€/excuse and leave peopleā€™s headcanonā€™s intact. Also, pardon if this sounds terrible, but with a trans/NB character you can cast around that aspect. Actually hire a trans actor for your character or design the character with nb expression, as opposed to selecting a existing character and deciding to add that to their backstory.
On the other hand, having a character that is established be part of the LGBT community does make them feel more valid.
I think either way works, but you have to do it well. Mass Effect does the new character aspect well and the Last of Us did it very well with a developed character.
Blizzard has not done it that well, at least recently.
Hopefully they can do better in the future.

How Chu said when asked about Baptiste being LGBT, that they ā€˜ā€™ havenā€™t thought about his lore that far yet ā€˜ā€™ just really makes me thing they just wing it in terms of who is LGBT and who is not, honestly. Whatever suits their need at the time.

Partly because of this, I prefer that the LGBT characters are shown as such when they are released. At least then, being LGBT was part of their identity always, and not something tacked on much, much, much later, 2 years after their release.

1 Like

Excactly, dude.
Like, I think he thinks that ā€œOh, it shouldnā€™t matter if a person is part of the LGBT community, why should we plan who it is?ā€ Not realizing that who represents us is pretty important.
Like, thatā€™s backwards logic. Heā€™s gotten ā€œdoesnā€™t matterā€ confused with ā€œdonā€™t judge because ofā€.
Whether a character is part of the LGBT community absolutely matters and should be clarified quickly, not years after their release. And preferably in a way that can actually be displayed and not scooted off to the side.

You make a lot of good points, especially the one about the character feeling valid and having a bigger impact.
However, I think itā€™s possible to add a new character to the game but for that character to be already established and known in the lore.
Adding Emily or Vincent to the roster as characters would be great, theyā€™re LGBT, important lore characters with important ties to two already existing LGBT/ non LGBT characters (Tracer - Winston - Soldier76)

Just an example on how to write them in, ā€œTracerā€ after getting injured in the fight with Doomfist had to be hospitalized and taken care of. Emily felt bad because she saw her get hurt and decided to join her lover and to support her.
Vincent and his family get kidnapped by Talon and brainwashed (a bit like Widowmaker) and he gets sent to kill Soldier76.
It would open up room for many interesting interactions and create synergy in the design of the characters. A bit like Brigitte and Reinhardt.
Edit : it would also feel a bit better than sleeping at night, waking up, learning that a character is LGBT with no prior exposition nor anything.
It just didnā€™t feel very genuine to me and was disappointing.

I agree with you on the Tracer/Emily aspect, but Vincent being made into a Widowmaker style assassin seems kinda unlikely given his age and the fact that the only person who knows about Vincent in Talon is Reaper. Also, Widow only was able to complete her mission because she was already married to Gerard and had his trust. Itā€™s very messy, is what Iā€™m saying.
Jack has left Vincent (and romance in general) in his past. They are likely to remain that way.
I would honestly have preferred they showed Rein holding hands with his husband in the Christmas comic and then Chu confirming it on twitter with Tracer.
Confirm two gays with one story.

New Archives tweet

1 Like

l like that they did this! I loved the debriefs from the Blackwatch team last year!

1 Like

Still mad how Baptiste, despite being a hottie, continues the trope that all male characters are (older) masculine soldiers, and that we STILL donā€™t have a male medical professional, as far as we know anyway.

Iā€™m yawning, where are all the feminine male heroes? Where are all the younger male characters?

Echo, Soujurn (or however her name is spelt idk), Junker Queen are all coming, itā€™s going to be a long wait for a new male human hero. The omnic Talon dude probably being the next hero, Iā€™ll be SURPRISED if he manages to bring anything new to the already rather plain roster of male heroes, no matter how exciting his story might be. He better be something else than a violent edgelord.

1 Like