LGBT in Overwatch Mega(y)thread šŸ³ļøā€šŸŒˆ

That would make sense. Genji is kind of on the road to healing so heā€™s finding support from Mercy/Zen. I think both of them just want to see him get better.

1 Like

Honestly, I find their relationship pretty weird. In a lot of ways, Mercy seems kind of dismissive of Genji while still humoring his ā€˜ā€™ advances. ā€˜ā€™

If you remember the Valentines voice lines, where Genji brought chocolates to Mercy, she was like ā€˜ā€™ Are they Swiss? Ah well, I guess theyā€™ll have to do, thanks. ā€˜ā€™ or something like that.

And then here, she seems rather dismissive as well, but sill humoring him regardless.

ā€˜ā€™ Well, itā€™s about time you returned the favour. ā€˜ā€™
ā€˜ā€™ I do seem to be making a habit of saving you. Itā€™s a good thing I like you. Buy me a dinner when this is over ā€˜ā€™
ā€˜ā€™ The lengths I go to to find someone to talk to me. ā€˜ā€™

Like, it honestly sounds like Genji has this big crush on Mercy, and Mercy is like ā€˜ā€™ ehehheheā€¦ nahā€¦ ā€˜ā€™ and tries to be dismissive, but then she doesnā€™t want to outright reject him because it would end up being nasty, and Genji would potentially leave Overwatch otherwise because thereā€™s nothing else there for him. It was already made very clear that Blackwatch means nothing to him.

Mercy seems to be the only one Genji is fine with on a more secure level, because she saved him, and Mercy needs to keep up that secure feeling Genji has with her without rejecting him. Thatā€™s how this reads to me, but itā€™s most likely just not that deep and the feeeeeewiiiingssss are mutual.

1 Like

Yeah, I have the same vibes. At least in this time period. Maybe later when Genji actually grows up and learns how to be a better person, Mercy can change her mind, but at this point heā€™s justā€¦ not ready. And she knows it.

I think sheā€™s definitely coddling him to an extent in order to make him feel welcome (perhaps Blackwatch was too harsh for him? All Blackwatch members that we know of are pretty opinionated and stubborn. McCree was quite dismissive of Genji in Retribution, despite trying to motivate him to talk, and Gabe was openly talking about how his brother ā€œwouldā€™ve made a good agent.ā€). Mercy is just a good person and I guess she wanted to make him feel better and help him.

Remember, Genji also has a voice line with Winston how he always liked working with him. And he gets along with Tracer too, as well as Ana. So the Overwatch side clearly suited him better. No wonder he cut all ties with Blackwatch, distances himself from everything that happened and doesnā€™t talk to any of them.

Hi guys, Iā€™m here to inform you that Blizzard does the absolute least to include LGBT characters in their game.

But Iā€™m also here to inform that maybe an Arena Shooter MOBA isnā€™t the best game to expect good, wholesome LGBT content, despite it having great lore, which goes completely underutilized thus causing any sort of LGBT content to be bare-boned. :woozy_face:

5 Likes

Ahh oh well. I guess I was being too optimistic.

1 Like

We all are too optimistic, and thatā€™s why often than not, we settle for scraps because ā€˜ā€™ itā€™s better than nothing. ā€˜ā€™

Honestly, Iā€™m more interested in fan content at the moment. Blizzard has dropped the ball.

3 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately.
I wouldnā€™t mind if they didnā€™t thrust their chest out, honestly.

It could be worse. I appreciated Gibraltar from Apex being an ā€œestablished from launchā€ thing but thereā€™s even LESS there than in Overwatch. Neither really claim to be super story-focused (YMMV with Overwatch) but yeah. I dunno.

Youā€™d think thereā€™d be a prominent LGBT character in WoW by now, at least. Same company. Thereā€™s like. One lesbian couple, and theyā€™re Enchanting NPCs in Aszuna so youā€™re only gonna actually know if you do the Enchanting questline there. I didnā€™t know about it and was happy when my enchanter stumbled upon it, at least.

1 Like

Yeah, and ultimately both are kinda paltry compared to a company like Bioware.
Albeit Biowareā€™s kinda gone down the tubes as of late.

Used to be against R76, but now Iā€™m rooting for it because at least THAT would be something. Even if itā€™s just Chu being incapable of coming up with his own gay stories and lore and just writing the things he sees spammed in Twitter, at least itā€™d be SOMETHING.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pissed at hearing excuses for gency being like ā€œWell itā€™s a popular ship anyway!ā€ Because oh boy, thereā€™s plenty of popular ships and all of these people wouldā€™ve initiated a riot if the popular ship in question was R76 getting fuel like this. Or godforbid some other ship.

I distinctly remember most people agreeing that confirming ships isnā€™t the way to go, but suddenly itā€™s fine. Thatā€™s straight privilege folks!

6 Likes

Itā€™s ALWAYS fine if itā€™s straight. :woozy_face:

1 Like

And the worst is, nothing is even confirmed or anything. Itā€™s just them being friendly, itā€™s Mercy being a good person and willing to help Genji out. Especially since Blackwatch apparently pissed on his dog or something so he ran to Overwatch and doesnā€™t talk to anyone from BW.

Iā€™ve been thinking about it actually and Iā€™m pretty sure that the way Blackwatch was ran reminded him too much of the clan. Gabe is the leader, theyā€™re a tightly knit group, you have McCree following Gabeā€™s every step, questionable morals and vaguely criminal activity. Wouldnā€™t be surprised that he hated it there, hated everybody there and just ran to Overwatch where you have people like Mercy who know how to treat people with issues such as Genji has.

I especially like the implication of interactions where they basically say that Genji canā€™t sleep, Angela is the only one awake late at night and he can sit in her office, drink her awful coffee and listen to her drone on and on about research and itā€™s calming him down. Sort of a precursor to Zenyatta. But of course, we canā€™t talk about these details without it all being overshadowed with gency.

2 Likes

To be fair, this could be chalked up to people seeing what they want to see.
Which is not unique to one ship or the other.
But yeah, there are way too many people championing the canonization of Gency now.
Also, Iā€™d hardly say that McCree is following Gabeā€™s every step. Retribution kinda showed that he was the ONLY one willing to call out Gabeā€™s vigilantism.
I think itā€™s more that Genji realized that BW is more like the Shimada clan than he likes, and carrying out black/deniable-ops is not good for him.
IDK, I suppose my point might be he has more of a problem with the purpose of BW than his fellow agents, given his banter with McCree.

Well, up to Retribution, McCree was definitely following Gabe closely. From what little we can tell, Gabe was pretty much preparing McCree to lead BW one day. He took him to meetings, included him in decisions and coached him in how to properly do things. Itā€™s precisely why McCree is so hurt by what Gabe does in Retribution; Gabe was supposed to be a trustworthy mentor and teacher and now McCree feels betrayed. Thatā€™s where he realises he can no longer fully trust Gabe. But McCreeā€™s been in BW for over a decade prior to that.

I definitely agree that the way BW operated clearly wasnā€™t suited to Genji. Iā€™d say he just went to Overwatch because of that, but he literally refuses to talk to his old teammates, as the voice line in Storm Rising shows. Thatā€™s what got me the most. As if itā€™s not just that he didnā€™t like BW as an organisation, but people there as well. Thereā€™s no reason otherwise to completely ignore them and refuse to talk to them or even respond to Tracer when she asks him about it incredulously.

Itā€™s a really interesting detail that Iā€™d like to know more about. When Tracer asks him ā€œdonā€™t you talk to your old teammates?ā€, Genjiā€™s complete silence implies some form of resentment and anger, otherwise he couldā€™ve easily just said ā€œWe moved onā€ or ā€œWe donā€™t get much time in between missionsā€ or anything like that. But in that moment, he retreats back to old Genji who refuses to talk and just boils inside.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s true, forgot about that interaction.

And it comes so quickly after the whole thing with Reunion. ā€œMcCree knew a woman for a couple of years when he was a teenager, heā€™s now canon straight! Chu retconned this amazing romance because of LGBT threats!ā€

Like, itā€™s so obvious that this is people viewing things through their straight tinted glasses.

And I even find the Mercy and Genji thing potentially interesting. Iā€™d just like Mercy to have more personal lore first and Iā€™d like for this thing to happen in the present day, instead of awkward flirting during a mission. There are interesting points there, as Iā€™ve said earlier, but simply every single interaction is tainted with the idea that thereā€™s inevitable romance behind it so you canā€™t really get through that to talk about the characters individually.

I canā€™t pretend that I havenā€™t done the same thing, tbh.
But yeah, people are getting very obnoxious with effectively shouting down others because ā€œCANONā€, meanwhile there is nothing explicitly romantic.

1 Like

Widowmaker is Bi

That is all I came to say today

Does anyone else think that OW sort of has an identity crisis in regards to what kind of audience theyā€™re targeting?

Some themes are mature (which usually happens once per year due to Archives) and then it goes to super random/cutesy/youngish. I mean, I guess they can do both.

3 Likes