LFG needs a Player Directory

full discloser: I am in a popular rank and popular region i.e. my LFG groups fill up fast

This is why I dislike using LFG: (Why the LFG experience is lack luster)

Jeff said it takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes longer than auto queue. I would say it takes 10 minutes longer. The queue itself is usually 4 minutes longer and if you create the group it usually takes about 5 minutes to fill up. All this would be okay if a good experience was guaranteed.

A player directory will guarantee a good experience. Or at least it will prevent players from having an arsenal of excuses for poor LFG experiences :slight_smile:

If a Player Directory is too laborious or byzantine, at least give us a 255 character subfield for our group titles. We need a group title with 50 characters and a group description with 255 characters. This will show up when you hover over the group title.

Scenario: I started a group and I have 4 other people in it so far. All I need is a Tracer. Well Blizz’s answer is to wait until a Tracer sees my group. Blizz, this is not good enough, you can do better :slight_smile:

First of all don’t say just change your Group name to “Looking for a Tracer” because by the time you do this, some one will leave then you have to change the group title back and blah blah blah.

What we need is a Player Directory. But how do people join the Player Directory? Why are you asking me? I’m not a game developer!

Here’s my idea on how people enter their names into the Player Directory. When you click the orange LFG button in the top left corner of the main screen, at the top of all the groups is a check box that says, “Allow group leaders to invite you”
This option should also exist in the regular Options, so that you can always have it on, if you so desire.

I’m getting really tired of writing this post. But basically the group leader should have a giant list of all the players in the Player Directory and he can find his Tracer.

What would players do while they are waiting for invites? Play custom games, dress up Mercy. Would they be allowed to get invites in Quick Play and then just leave the QP game once they got an invite? (I think leaving QP games mid match tanks your endorsement rating.)

I’ll post more on the player directory in the future.

Also we need an SMS protected global/regional ladder. It’s just like the top500 but with everybody in it. Then when you search for players, you can make sure they have an SMS protected account. You could even have check box for auto queue, but I think auto queue should not distinguish SMS accounts from non-SMS accounts for the sake of speed.

All of these changes do not touch the match maker in any way. Jeff voiced his concern about this and I think it’s valid.