This might lock people into hard counter situations. And it will turn into mind games.
I think a good option would be to allow people to change the perks after some time. Because when I lock a perk, the enemy switches, now I am forced into a bad perk. But I can change my perk on monkey, for example, I will stick with him. But the enemy swap makes my major perk unplayable.
I don’t have too much a strong opinion on it but this doesn’t sound too bad. If everyone had 2 swaps, so they have the potential to play 3 heroes in a match.
There’s still room for some counter picking, just not constantly throughout the entire match.
Maybe DPS could get 3 swaps, there’s a lot more of them… idk. XD
Everyone picks 2 heroes at the start of the game and that’s the only 2 heroes you can swap between.
A problem for dps/support if 2 people pick the same hero then one of them is playing that hero and the other can’t swap. Maybe pick 3 heroes to swap between for non-tanks and 2 for tanks.
Swapping is a part of the game and it rewards people who have varied hero pools. Limiting hero swapping is the sort of change that can and absolutely would destroy the game.
The solution is nerfing tank survivability to the point a countered tank can actually have an exchange with their counter. Openings to exploit. They did this part of the way with the recent major patch.
With higher HP, the counter-swapping issue is exacerbated, as each interaction becomes attritional rather than skill-based.
I would think that if tanks had less hp/armor but better defensive skills that have a bit of counterplay would be healthy for counters, but still we would get into the problem of CC being too strong against them
I hate counterswapping more than literally anyone here as I am the only person who believes EVERYONE should “one trick.” The game would be more fun if people played the hero they wanted to play and if their back up was, well, another character they enjoyed and not just whichever hero hard counters the person doing well.
That being said, if swapping is a part of the game, it should remain that way or be completely removed. Arbitrary restrictions are bad, m’kay?
It sucks and feels cheap but its not like they only won because of that. If you had stalled better earlier they wouldn’t even have time to do that.
I don’t think swapping should refund any ult charge at all. But i think you could do more with ult charge. Like make swapping free the first round/point and then have it cost ult charge. Like you literally can’t swap unless you have 25% ult charge.
Yep, a lot of the tanks just stat check each other with less and less skill based interactions. Hog is a good example of a tank that has gotten worse imo. Back when he had breather on a cd you had some openings even if he countered you. Now you can’t really do anything against him with a lot of tanks. He is unkillable even if you interrupt the heal. Mauga is the worst though.
I didn’t have time. They swapped on last fight. So, They roll out with this new tank. Steamroll me. And while I’m in spawn the game ends. I didn’t even get a chance to leave spawn again after that.
I have a more simple solution, play 6v6. If someone counterswaps your tank, you have an offtank that can help mitigate that counterplay.
5v5 will always be Rock Paper Scissors, if you want to play the game how it was originally intended, without as much hard counterplay, play 6v6, I’m telling you it’s way more fun as a tank
one swap can be managed alone or with a help of a team, problem is most of the times the entire team swap to counter 1 specific hero, then the countered hero needs the team to swap to even walk out of spawn but in average rank that mostly never happens
And their example is the very last fight. So if the whole team swaps and all lose ult charge and perks, they are likely still at a disadvantage. Especially if the team that didn’t all swap actually has ults ready, or nearly ready. I don’t think any tank is countered enough that they still lose the fight while having ults vs no ults. But the OP didn’t describe the situation enough to fully know. Either way, it’s not like ppl have 0 chance into counters and just auto lose. Ppl play into their counters and win frequently too.
Honestly, if it were up to me, you’d have to get a character to at least level 20 (which is around 20 hours of gameplay) before you can select that hero in a mode that can inconvenience the other people on your team. I.E. you’d have to do a mix of Arcade, Practice Range, Versus AI, etc. with a hero before you could select them in QP, Comp, or Stadium.
But I know some people won’t go for that idea.
So the bare minimum is what you’re suggesting: limited swaps.
What tank were you playing and what tank did they swap to that made them steamroll you?
With both your perks and ult charge built up, you should have been able to withstand one single push even with a bad matchup if you played it patiently enough.
You haven’t been very specific in what exactly happened tbh
If you lose simply because they changed characters and you or your team couldn’t handle that, then that’s a skill issue unfortunately. It means you either are not acquainted enough with the character you’re playing or your team was too liberal with ultimate usage.
Swapping characters comes with inherent downsides, the main one being losing your ultimate. If someone is swapping characters frequently then they are oppurtunity costing their team on the ult count. The only time where it isn’t inherently bad to swap is when you’ve recently used your ultimate, but also at that point they can’t surprise you with anything more than the swap so your team should be ready to regroup and handle it.
Perks are also a thing now and also contribute to swapping being inherently punishing outside of round 3+ scenarios. Dealing with counterswapping is all about just managing positioning and ultimate usage as those are your main tools for survival and maintaining your footing.
They seem reluctant to give details on the specifics which makes me want to believe they may have falsified the claim that it wasn’t the D.va/Zarya matchup
Either that or they don’t want to focus on personal details and more just want the topic to remain about the idea presented