Let's talk about the Mei in the room

Until they overbuff her then nerf her to non-existence.

Yes I can, she’s strong on both of those! It’s attack where she suffers. KoTH is like Mei happy place.

She can work on attack, too, but I’m sure the higher toxic ELOs won’t like it. I often use her on attack so that her wall can bridge barrier CDs. Highly effective for that in addition to her regular utility.

Well after they rework Sym and possibly Torb, she really only has to fight with Bastion and Sombra for last place.

Yeah in certain circumstances, but requires a much different use of her kit and I find many attack teams aren’t used to exploiting the safe areas her walls create.

and yet more than half the cast have a mobility ability

I don’t like the word wrong. In this instance, it implies lack of truth, or absolute falsity. Generally speaking, an opinion about a potential change cannot be true or false, just an opinion. It’s simply a thought, and can neither be correct nor incorrect without actual data.

They are non-issues, if you’re ignoring the primary issues, which are the ineffective and inconsistent results produced. They cannot simply be dismissed through meme, and they cannot be dismissed through denial that the problems exist at all.

There are many problems, and the character is not picked because of multiple problems not having solutions in many situations. Solutions presented by other, more effective and well rounded characters.

1 Like

Arguments on balanced are based on knowledge and experience of heroes. From my point of view, your statements imply a misunderstanding based on a half-baked knowledge of Mei’s kit, and her full capability.

For instance, you claiming that barriers are a problem for Mei is very similar to the notion that Pharmercy is overpowered in lower ranks. In reality, Pharah is not even a meta pick, and is almost completely reliant on a Mercy pocket to ever get anything done. Similarly, Mei is stronger than most people realise.. There is just an inherent lack of people who play her correctly.

With my experience vs. yours, I have to say that you are wrong.

Can you play some games with me, so I can understand your Mei better? I’m an avid skeptic about everything. I usually need pieces of anecdotal evidence, to better understand complex topics.

Are you on EU or US?

I am in the USA. I can move servers to the EU though.

Alright, I’m EU.

20 chars.

I think it would be better if you spectaed me though, then you can actually see how I’m playing.

Yea I could definitely do that.

I main her and here’s what I think she needs:

Endothermic Blaster: I think this ability is fine now that they made it multi-target people, but I think the range should be increased a bit, say 15 meters? It’s current range feels a bit bad.

Icicle: needs to have less damage fall-off for the love of GOD. It should go down to 40 damage at the lowest. And it should also pierce barriers. That makes so much sense it’s not even funny. Lastly, costing 10 ammo per shot would be better than 20.

Cryo-Freeze: Perfect and they shouldn’t touch it. Any more and it would make Mei broken.

Ice Wall: It needs to be see through / walkthrough for YOUR team. It makes no sense that it impedes allies. At all. Also I feel like the cooldown can be reduced slightly to maybe 8 seconds.

Blizzard: the slight delay of where Mei throws it is annoying and I’ve had people kill me as I’m throwing it, which completely negates it? So I think that needs to be changed. OR I think it should be changed to where it has a start up time. It should immediately start up. Lastly, increase area of effect to 12-15 meters. Currently it is too easy to get out of.

I’ll end this with saying (again) that Mei needs a passive. I am a strong proponent for her passive being what she can do in one of her highlights which is to SLIDE on her ICE. Mei should be able to freeze the ground and go faster when she walks on it. Doesn’t need to be super fast, but an extra 10% speed or so. Would help a lot, IMO.

1 Like

She’s just as effective at killing supports and most defense as Reaper is, but she has less mobility.

She excels at stalling the enemy from reaching, capturing, or moving objectives.

She’s an off-tank with a powerful self-heal.

She can one-shot many heroes with her icicle. Her freeze is basically inescapable now – all you have to do is aim well and move in diagonally.

1 Like

Autoload during ice-block would be awesome.
She can already freeze genji and lucio from the last buff, I don’t know if you want to buff this anymore, it may make her too strong. Tracer is the only one that can blink away, and doomfist can uppercut away if not on cooldown.

1 Like

Almost as if you’re not supposed to use her against highly mobile teams. A hero does not need to be good against every team comp. Mei is great at doing what she’s for:

This also because you use more the icicles than the primary fire, because enemies seldom engages close to you and they stick together rarely, and if they’re grouped and they have a shield you have to go past the shield, but you get stomped doing this. IMO the two buffs of primary fire contributed to lower the skill floor, but going in higher ranks you don’t use it so often. Personally i would rework primary fire, but i don’t know what could replace it (also i want it to be lore-wise)

The falloff is kinda needed because otherwise Mei would be a sniper, but i disagree to give icicles 3 disadvantages (cast time, falloff and projectile nature). Personally i would reduce the falloff and increase the fire ratio, so she shoots the same ammount of icicles in less time, so more DPS.

This because she hasn’t much DPS, this work belongs more to a Pharah or a Bastion IMO.

Here we enter in a gamesense question: you need to know which ultimates has the enemies and to bait them. About D.va i would suggest you to stay aware if she has matrix or not, or at least to put a wall before you throw ultimate.

IMO her wall is one of her most powerful abilities, but has a problem: relies too much on map’s geometry. Also i think if the blueprint of her wall was visible to her teammates, many players would pick her less to troll, because you will know already where you teammate is placing the wall. Also this would allow to reach higher places and to position snipers and hitscans.

But an issue you dind’t talked about is the cryofreeze: you have a 50/50 of work: if you get stunned in the same time you enter in cryo, this is a death sentence because you loose the cryo and enemies kill you.

1 Like

Plat/Diamond Mei player here with >50hrs.
I’m glad to hear everyone’s opinion, and agree with those of you saying that her utility is her primary trait for securing kills for the team, not her damage. Mei’s utility is very good, particularly her abilities to divide teams with her wall, bait out moves with cryofreeze, and stall/block points in overtime, but I feel like the opportunity cost is too great. Mei is good at tilting and balancing the odds before a fight, but is very weak compared to so many other characters once engagement actually begins. When things get hairy and the fight is on, she simply doesn’t have the ability to secure enough kills OR provide enough utility to make up for it. When both teams are well organized she fails to counter brawl/cluster (with brigitta); phara-mercy, or double shield better than a secondary tank like Dva, 3rd healer like Brigitta, or a dps like Hanzo; and she is only OK against sniper comps and dive comps, imo.

She is fun to play but if she is to keep up with other heroes at Platinum+ then I feel like she needs some kind of buff to improve usefulness once the fighting begins.

2 Likes