Let's get rid of resurrect altogether, please?

I see the argument that Mercy without Resurrect wouldn’t be Mercy anymore and her lore would have to be changed as well.
Resurrect is a gameplay mechanic only, Mercy did not bring someone back from the dead in her lore. She is not a necromancer. She saved Genji, but he was on the brink of death, not actually dead yet.
Mercy is a doctor, she is about easing pain, healing and helping allies before they die. So I personally like the suggestions I’m about to list because they emphasize exactly that about her.

Her healing got nerfed and she struggles to function as a main healer now. A lot of the interactions damage boost had with specific ultimates got removed and therefore a lot of the decision making Mercy players had.
Those two things were never a problem before Mercy became insanely overpowered due to her rework. And it’s mainly because of resurrect as a regular cooldown ability that a lot of Mercy’s kit had to be stripped to balance the insane value of bringing back someone at full health Every. 30. Seconds. I think it’s time to finally scrap it and redistribute the value of it towards the rest of her kit.

So, just humor me, Resurrect has hereby been removed.

First, let’s give her back her 60 healing per second. It was even written in the patch notes back when she first got her healing buffed to 60hp/s, that this was to solidify her role as a primary healer. There is also a lot more damage in the game now than there was back then.

Then let’s think about a new E-abilty for Mercy. There are two suggestions that I read about, that I liked the most:

1. Miracle Worker: Mercy applies a buff to an ally with a set duration, that heals them for 25% of their maximum HP if they take lethal damage during that time.

Notes: In a way, it functions similar to resurrect but it would be a proactive ability that rewards proper timing. They would still be in critical condition and easily die, so Mercy would still have to take care of them afterwards.

1. Damage Reduction: Mercy applies a buff to an ally with a set duration, that reduces the incoming damage they take and spreads it out over 6 seconds.

Notes: Mercy does not have any way to burst heal, so I imagine this could be a way for her to get a similar impact on a single target (since that’s her thing, she is a single target healer). Someone is getting focused and taking a lot of damage that you can’t sustain with your normal beam? Ana or Moira would then use their burst heal abilities to try to save that ally. Mercy could get a similar impact with a damage reduction without ever needing a real burst heal.

You could also go really crazy and make Mircacle Worker as her new ultimate (in an AoE, with a similar cast time as Lucio’s ultimate) and it could work well against burst ultimates and would have to be used proactively instead of after everyone died. “Heroes never die!” would finally make sense again.

And then give her the damage reduction as her E in combination with that. :man_shrugging: I’m no game designer, so I don’t know how that would play out which is also the reason why I did not try to post detailed numbers. That would have to be tested.

I’m not saying these changes are the way to go, even if I’d be over the moon if they were implemented, because I really like the idea of them. I would certainly find them way more enjoyable than Mercy’s current kit of Resurrect and Valkyrie.
All I’m saying is, that I think it’s good and healthy to suggest stuff that doesn’t necessarily mean keeping Resurrect at all because it’s what’s keeping her chained down.

Feel free to suggest your own ideas and let’s try to keep this discussion healthy and positive.

1 Like

Agree. Rez is well intentioned but has proven way too divisive. It takes up way too much power budget and design space; Mercy mains don’t like where she is and neither do people who play on Mercy’s team.

1 Like

I totally agree, the only reason she was op is because of her rez. Healing was never a problem.

1 Like

I agree, but I feel like the devs won’t get rid of resurrect cuz there would probably be insane backlash

3 Likes

Agreed there’s plenty of abilities in-game that don’t serve purpose to the lore, like Transcendence, which has been confirmed has no lore behind it and it’s purely just a gameplay thing.

1 Like

Yep. I’m fine with rez being removed. It allows you to beef up her kit a bit more, and would probably force people to play a bit safer, rather than relying on mercy to rez them.

Unfortunately, they seem pretty set on keeping it in the game. It feels like a placeholder “generic healer” ability from an MMORPG. In those games rez works well because you’re fighting waves of OP mobs or bosses. In a 6v6 FPS though, I’d rather have more mid-fight utility than hoping to save a fight after the fact.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies, I’m so relieved to hear that I’m not alone in simply wanting rez gone at this point. It’s true though, they seem adamant about wanting to keep it no matter what, even at the cost of the enjoyment and fluidity of Mercy’s gameplay… which is pretty sad.

I’m at the point of also wanting it just removed tbh. I used to want to keep it since it made Mercy unique, but now it’s just weighing her down.

3 Likes

Yep. Blizzard clearly are having difficulties balancing it and as a result of this, the community is up in flames. Either remove Resurrect or just rework her again with mass Res. Either is fine.

𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓻𝓬𝔂 𝓘𝓬𝓮 𝓒𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓶 𝓜𝓸𝓿𝓮𝓶𝓮𝓷𝓽

:shaved_ice::chocolate_bar:

Spreading positivity and ice cream, one Mercy at a time.
1 Like