Let the highest Rank be the group level

OP suggestion is just as if not more unfair. Sucks having a diamond in plat because they queued with their gold buddy, but if instead it brought their gold buddy into a diamond lobby that’s definitely worse.

500 seems too tight, I’ve had good or bad days where I’ve nearly swung that far in one long sitting. Maybe 750 though.

everything would be kosher if the MMR formula were public. Because ppl would say, “help there were Plats in my game and I’m only Silver.”

and then someone would answer, “Well if you just took a second to look at the math, you only lost 5 SR.” “so if you wanna complain about time wasted, I understand. But if you wanna complain about SR and unfairness, just look at the math again.”

500 SR is quite a skill difference no matter where you are on the ladder. If you think 1500 and 1000 SR is the same you havent played down there. High silver and low silver are quite different.

The amount of people I’ve seen as of late down 500 SR is just insane. People really need to learn when to stop queing when tilted. 3 games lost in a row regardless of how close they are should be a que to stop well queing.

1000SR isn’t silver though…

…and I haven’t noticed a skill difference between a 700SR match and a 1200SR match. The only difference really, that I’ve seen, is that 1200SR has a lower chance of throwers and smurfs.

I know 1000 SR is not silver. I am simply stating that 500 SR is quite a gap in skill generally speaking across the whole ladder. 1500 and 1900 are quite noticeable. The majority of 1500 games for me are flat out trivial. 1900 is a different story.

You keep saying this, but now I’m not sure what you mean. You seem to be ascribing multiple functions to MMR.

MMR is a number from -3 to +3. It roughly approximates your skill in terms of standard deviations from 0, where 0 is average.

Jeff Kaplan reveals what MMR boundaries are in this interview:

So, there are two other things that also deal with MMR. The MMR gain or loss after a match, which Jeff has said is sometimes a gain / loss of 0. There’s THAT formula that might be made public, but I don’t think that would do anything but let people game the system to make their numbers go up.

Then, there’s another part of the system, which is the Matchmaker itself, and that is basically asking the question “who will play in a match?”.

This article talks quite a bit about the matchmaker, mostly in terms of how groups get involved, but I think there are some key phrases of value:

The following quote and others in the article lead me to conclude that the matchmaker is just trying to find a 50% win rate match for people as often as is possible while minimizing wait time.

The matchmaker was designed to try and create games with equivalent-sized groups,

Overall, though, the matchmaker tries to give you a game with a 50% win rate, but it has to compromise, and it won’t compromise past a 40% win rate.

There are limits to how much we compromise, however.

… If one of the teams doesn’t have at least a predicted 40% win rate, then we simply don’t create the game.

The problem with having the math available for SR gains (once again, not the same as MMR) is that people would game the system. There’s good honest reasons to keep this information vague and hand wavy.

And a reminder here: SR is not used by the matchmaker in any way.

1 Like

proofs that you have no idea, Look at the your team SR and the enemy team SR.

I agree. More often than not the team with the gold-diamond duo loses because the gold is so far out of their league.

My theory is that the team without the duo has one diamond enemy player who is a bit better. Between six plats the one diamond enemy isn’t a big deal. However the gold player has six enemies who are all better than them so they get owned.

No, that’s just evidence that SR and MMR are closely correlated.

Haha I’m imagining 3 gold players playing in a diamond game. Friends who just want to q comp together losing every game. Already been said here, no diamond is going to carry an averaged game “get real”

proof it with facts, cause i think that not true.

its not, they stated that they specifically look after sr from teams.

there is no get real, every other comp game handles it like that.,

I don’t have the data because I don’t work for Blizzard. I should have qualified my statement by saying it feels like that happens more often than not in my own games.

You are wrong about using SR in match making. The developers have explicitly stated on numerous occasions that SR is not used in match making. I will dig up the sources if you really want.

Perception is everything my friend. While the shiny logo is intimidating it may even have an effect on the enemy players mindset. Yes the diamond will pop off against plats but his friends in gold are going to keep feeding. This is balance, how hard can the diamond carry to where the feeding gold’s are doing just enough.

just that it isn’t working, cause the skill requirment for a gold mercy isn’t that much lower then a plat one.

1 Like

So now your debating the skill discrepancy between two ranks. I disagree I think plat players are easily better than the rank lower gold players lol.

then try it, let a gold mercy play in plat, she can very easily keep up, doing it myself pretty often.

I found some sources:

From a post by Jeff Kaplan:

…Matchmaking rating (the thing that determines who is matched against who – not SR)…

Link: Overwatch Forums

From the official Overwatch twitter:

We use MMR for matchmaking, not SR.

Link: https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/850435344457543680

From an Overwatch developer’s (William Warnecke) personal twitter:

SR isn’t used to make a match.

Link: https://twitter.com/ww/status/867570441182826499

Another from the official Twitter:

Please keep in mind that we use MMR for matchmaking, not SR.

Link: https://twitter.com/playoverwatch/status/964274650938146819?lang=en

then they would just have to change the system to make it non exploitable

I’m asking for the removal of SR and just show MMR

how could one exploit it? let’s say they took out PBSR for the sake of this discussion.

so I asked you these questions as I read your post, and now I’ll sum it up with my theory.

to make MMR public we would have to loose:
A.) getting a rating extra quick. this what PBSR does and would have to scraped

and that’s basically it, you really wouldn’t have an edge in gaming the system, because a bronze can get carried by 5 GMs whether they know the MMR formula or not.

and finally, this guy wants the MMR formula transparent.

(timestamped)

the fact that he never says anything about anti-exploitable trigger safes for a transparent ranking system, makes me think that it’s possible to publish the MMR formula and make it non exploitable.

it can be done, I have faith :slight_smile:

Possible exploitation of the system and other negative effects on the game aside, the MMR system is Blizzard’s IP and they won’t want to give that up easily. And why should they, from a legal perspective?

tell me one reasonable way to exploit it, it’s just a intransparent system and it’s not really doing what it should do. Look at true skill, it’S public and it works.