LAX1 or ORD1 server?

Since yesterday my latency is higher than usual. I have noticed that all of the sudden I am playing on LAX1 instead of ORD1. Is this something that Blizzard chooses or is this something I can fix through my own ISP? I already generally have high latency but an extra 40 ms to even 80 ms makes the game almost unplayable.

This is something the game is going to decide based on various factors. If there is an issue with routing or it is unable to find a game that would fit your skill level quickly, then it may expand the search results and can include other servers. There isn’t too much that can be done here apart from trying to change the route the connection takes to get to the server. This can be done through either using a different network or connecting through a VPN.

I was having the issue with a custom game (also QP earlier). I am playing with someone who lives elsewhere and ever since we started playing together the server closest to me was chosen, but since yesterday this all changed.

So I could potentially get my ISP to fix this or is a VPN or another ISP my only option?

Its possible they could resolve it if there were recent changes on their end that are causing the issue. Though being a connection from EU to the US servers there can be any number of things causing issues that they may not have direct control over. A VPN would likely be the more likely workaround for the issue.

Even in Syd2,3 I started getting 170ms ping all of a sudden.
What’s happening?

Please take notice of a thread’s date before replying, as this one is 4 months old. Instead, please participate here: New Zealand being forced to LAX1